Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Results from Ancestry.com, 97% European ?

Registered Users
    Sex

Thank you Skitbo ! That one image that I posted is from Dubhthach's results, he is a Gaelic user here on Anthrogenic. I hope it wasn't inappropriate me posting it, it was just so similar that I thought it would be essential for a comparison. I suppose that 3% of Person A might as well be "noise" then. If it were .06% Asian on 23andme study then I think I would be more convinced this person had a Central Asian/Overall Asian ancestor from the last 5-6 generations. Thank you for your help ! I love this forum. So enlightening and polite.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IphonePlus For This Useful Post:

JMcB (04-26-2017),  sktibo (04-26-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North & Ionian Seas
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1 (P109)

England Italy Germany Scotland
    Ancestry DNA .com is one of the worst for actual ethnicity sources. that's is why they call it an "estimation" in their words, not mine. upload you raw data to GEDmatch for the real science of this. they don't care if your feelings are hurt by the results and they aren't trying to sell you much of anything. it will show where your DNA came from, good or bad.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Gael
    Nationality
    Éireanach
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41
    mtDNA (M)
    U4d3

Ireland
    I should note that in Ancestry that even though they give me 89% Irish my range is 77-100%. As has been pointed out there could be element of noise going on here. However it does somewhat match what I see in FamilyFinder.

Now I just have to get my parents to do Ancestry test to see if it's more specific to one line or the other.

Though I note on the new version of My Origins that they've changed this slightly:
    Last edited by Dubhthach; 04-26-2017 at 06:00 PM.
    (R1b-DF41+)
    (MtDNA: U4d3)

How to pronounce my username (modern Irish):
    Hidden Content

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dubhthach For This Useful Post:

IphonePlus (04-26-2017),  JMcB (04-26-2017),  sktibo (04-26-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex

Sorry for the extra post something happened....the next post is the one I intended to post
    Last edited by IphonePlus; 04-26-2017 at 06:29 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Dubhthach View Post
    I should note that in Ancestry that even though they give me 89% Irish my range is 77-100%. As has been pointed out there could be element of noise going on her. However it does somewhat match what I see in FamilyFinder.

Now I just have to get my parents to do Ancestry test to see if it's more specific to one line or the other.

Though I note on the new version of My Origins that they've changed this slightly:
    Thank you Dubhthach ! It seems that you have similar results as Person A, but it seems that she had even LESS Asian ancestry than you do. At this point, I am thinking it is most likely noise. It would be really interesting to see if your mum or dad had any ancestors from that area in actuality. What do you think the most likely explanation here ? If you could conjecture, do you think that some one might moved, say, the Middle East to Ireland and had a kid ? I found a paper here about West Asian DNA appearing in Irish people. Perhaps this Asian ancestry has been in Ireland for quite sometime, maybe i.e. older then 900 years. Let me know what you think. I am thinking that the person I know most likely has that ancestry from a longer time ago. She did score 29% Irish afterall. Ultimately I don't know

"Admixture results based on the Dodecad Ancestry Project showed, at K=11, that Irish are mostly "Northwest European" (as we'd expect), also partly "Northeast European" and "Basque", with a small slice of "Sardinian", and a little bit of "West Asian". The Irish are very similar to British, which is also shown by their clustering together in two main groups."

http://www.khazaria.com/genetics/irish.html

Also here is another blogpost about Irish ancestry that I found.

http://dienekes.blogspot.com/2011/04...eurasians.html
    Last edited by IphonePlus; 04-26-2017 at 05:49 PM.

Silver Class Member
    Sex
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA (M)
    T2B-T152C

England Scotland Austrian Empire Canada Quebec Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubhthach View Post
    I should note that in Ancestry that even though they give me 89% Irish my range is 77-100%. As has been pointed out there could be element of noise going on here. However it does somewhat match what I see in FamilyFinder.

Hi Dubhthach may I have your permission to share your MyOrigins 2.0 in another thread? Thanks
    Flags represent known or paper trail ancestry from greatest to least:
    England, Scotland, Austro-Hungarian Empire, (Galicia Poland) French-Canadian, and Dutch American settlers.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Gael
    Nationality
    Éireanach
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41
    mtDNA (M)
    U4d3

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by sktibo View Post
    Hi Dubhthach may I have your permission to share your MyOrigins 2.0 in another thread? Thanks
    I just posted it that over in the FTDNA forum.
    (R1b-DF41+)

Hidden Content

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Gael
    Nationality
    Éireanach
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41
    mtDNA (M)
    U4d3

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by IphonePlus View Post
    Thank you Dubhthach ! It seems that you have similar results as Person A, but it seems that she had even LESS Asian ancestry than you do. At this point, I am thinking it is most likely noise. It would be really interesting to see if your mum or dad had any ancestors from that area in actuality. What do you think the most likely explanation here ? If you could conjecture, do you think that some one might moved, say, the Middle East to Ireland and had a kid ? I found a paper here about West Asian DNA appearing in Irish people. Perhaps this Asian ancestry has been in Ireland for quite sometime, maybe i.e. older then 900 years. Let me know what you think. I am thinking that the person I know most likely has that ancestry from a longer time ago. She did score 29% Irish afterall. Ultimately I don't know

"Admixture results based on the Dodecad Ancestry Project showed, at K=11, that Irish are mostly "Northwest European" (as we'd expect), also partly "Northeast European" and "Basque", with a small slice of "Sardinian", and a little bit of "West Asian". The Irish are very similar to British, which is also shown by their clustering together in two main groups."

http://www.khazaria.com/genetics/irish.html

Also here is another blogpost about Irish ancestry that I found.

http://dienekes.blogspot.com/2011/04...eurasians.html
    Well the component called "Irish" in Ancestry is probably a bit older than Irish ethnogensis and probably reflects a broader NW Insular population (in my opinion), thence high levels seen in parts of Britain. It just happens to be modal/peak in modern Irish populations, which given our history shouldn't be that surprising, a Celtic language after all remained the majority language spoken in Ireland until the 1790's, and even today 80%+ of surnames in Ireland are of native origin.

Leaving that aside I know of no Central Asian ancestry within what I know of my genealogy. 7 of my 8 great-grandparents were born in Ireland, 1 was "Liverpool Irish" (her mother was a Cassidy for example). My mother's surname is of probable English origin though present in Ireland since the 16th century.
    (R1b-DF41+)

Hidden Content

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12