Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 82

Thread: Gagauz people

  1. #21
    Registered Users
    Posts
    63
    Sex
    Omitted
    Location
    canada

    Macedonia
    well, serbs, bulgarians, greeks and macedonians are all orthodox, so that makes sense to me, the turkic language is the real question mark to me, it's kind of like reverse torbesi

  2. #22
    Registered Users
    Posts
    150
    Sex

    Turkey
    Quote Originally Posted by Onur Dinçer View Post
    It explains their religion pretty well if they switched to Turkish during the Ottoman times or during the late Rum Seljuk times (assuming that the Seljuk migration theory is correct). Their Turkic language is the Balkan variant of the Ottoman Turkish language, the language what is nowadays called Balkan Turkish, they specifically speak its Dobrudja dialect as Gagauz people lived in Dobrudja before being resettled in Bessarabia during the 19th century. In fact, as a Balkan Turk you should understand the language of Gagauz people pretty well.
    Actually it doesn't because Ottomans converted natives to Muslims. So, I believe they were mixed with natives before the Ottomans. I agree with you rest of your words. Their dialect is so similar with Balkan Turks, especially with Gajals. Some theories says Gajals and Gagauzs are same people, however Gajals are not Orthodox.

  3. #23
    Global Moderator
    Posts
    909
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b>U152>L2>FGC32041
    mtDNA (M)
    X2e2a3
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1a>YP294>BY90442
    mtDNA (P)
    T2b

    Cappadocian Kingdom Thracian Odrysian Kingdom Greek Macedonia Byzantine Empire Ottoman Empire Turkey
    Quote Originally Posted by Thracian88 View Post
    Actually it doesn't because Ottomans converted natives to Muslims. So, I believe they were mixed with natives before the Ottomans. I agree with you rest of your words. Their dialect is so similar with Balkan Turks, especially with Gajals. Some theories says Gajals and Gagauzs are same people, however Gajals are not Orthodox.
    There were many Christians who switched to the Turkish language even without converting to Islam during the Ottoman times. For instance, a big proportion of Christians who did not convert to Islam were like that in Anatolia and Crimea. Dobrudja, where Gagauz are originally from, may have been like Anatolia and Crimea in that respect.
    Hidden Content

    Y-DNA: R1b>P312>U152>L2>Z41150>DF90>FGC14641>FGC32041; Nigde, Turkey
    mtDNA: X2e2a3; Drama, Greece
    Maternal Y-DNA: R1a>Y40>YP294>BY90442; Razgrad, Bulgaria
    Father's mtDNA: T2b; Nigde, Turkey
    Paternal grandfather's mtDNA: H2a1; Nigde, Turkey
    Maternal grandfather's mtDNA: H5o; Razgrad, Bulgaria
    Father's maternal Y-DNA: R1b>P312>U152>L2>Z41150>DF90>FGC14641>FGC32041; Nigde, Turkey

    Ālim-i Rūm (Scholar of Hidden Content )

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Onur Dincer For This Useful Post:

     Theodore Gavras (01-22-2018)

  5. #24
    Registered Users
    Posts
    1,035
    Sex
    Location
    Last of the Mohicans
    Ethnicity
    Gafasigirig
    Nationality
    Icecold
    Y-DNA (P)
    Q-Y16849
    mtDNA (M)
    H14a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R-Z2103
    mtDNA (P)
    HV-T16311C!

    Turkey Afsharid Dynasty
    My guess is they were probably formed from remnant pechenegs and some oghuz+bulgar tribes. Them being orthodox just means they were already there before the ottomans conquered Balkan areas.
    Of all the countries, this is possibly the most beautiful. All that is beautiful and can be rarely seen in
    other countries can be seen everywhere here... Here live the people who wear the cleanest clothes and prepare the
    most flavorful dishes... Of all of God’s servants, the local people are the most compassionate and merciful...

    Ibn Battuta about Asia Minor 1333CE

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Afshar For This Useful Post:

     Sangarius (01-22-2018)

  7. #25
    Registered Users
    Posts
    361
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Turkish
    Nationality
    German
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2b2a1-L283>Z1297
    mtDNA (M)
    HV4

    Quote Originally Posted by lukaszM View Post
    I uploaded those Yunusbaev's Gagauzes to gedmatch. At least in K36 they don't have any. Check by your self in others.

     
    Thanks for uploading them. Regarding the K36, calculators with high K aren't really good at ascertaining minor admixtures, as each component is itself a composite of multiple admixture events. From experience I know that for example the North_Caucasus component absorbs quite a bit of East-Eurasian admixture. So much that even I only score ~2% East-Eurasian, when in fact I have about 7%.

    For comparison I ran the kits in Dodecad K12b. The K12b, too, hides East-Eurasian admixture in various West-Eurasian components, but not as much. For example, I score about 5% East-Eurasian with this calculator.

    Last edited by Sangarius; 01-22-2018 at 11:42 AM.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sangarius For This Useful Post:

     Afshar (01-22-2018),  lukaszM (01-22-2018)

  9. #26
    Banned
    Posts
    6,336
    Sex
    Location
    Torun
    Ethnicity
    Central 75% + 25% Mazovia
    Nationality
    Pole
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a > M198 > YP 1337

    Poland
    Quote Originally Posted by Sangarius View Post
    Thanks for uploading them. Regarding the K36, calculators with high K aren't really good at ascertaining minor admixtures, as each component is itself a composite of multiple admixture events. From experience I know that for example the North_Caucasus component absorbs quite a bit of East-Eurasian admixture. So much that even I only score ~2% East-Eurasian, when in fact I have about 7%.

    For comparison I ran the kits in Dodecad K12b. The K12b, too, hides East-Eurasian admixture in various West-Eurasian components, but not as much. For example, I score about 5% East-Eurasian with this calculator.

    Ok, it is still too low to consider them Pecheng / Kuman remnants. For me it would be most interesting theory also, but autosomes say no. Maybe they have about 5-10% Pecheng or similar steppe ancestry. Rest is not even Turk but Macedonian /Bulgarian-like

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to lukaszM For This Useful Post:

     Theodore Gavras (01-24-2018)

  11. #27
    Registered Users
    Posts
    254
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Bulgarian
    mtDNA (M)
    T2

    Bulgaria
    It is a known fact the Gagauz in Moldova moved there from Varna region in Bulgaria with the population exchange agreement between Russian and Ottoman empires in late 18th - early 19 c. During that time also ethnic Bulgarians and even orthodox Albanians also settled there. The Turks got some Crimean Tartars in return, and later Cherkess from the Caucasus. However the Gagauz seem to be new settlers in Varna region - Ottoman archives form 17 c. tell that only Muslim lived in that area. Probably the Bulgarian and Gagauz, who migrated to Bessarabia from there, lived in current Greece, South Albania and Macedonia and moved to Varna after the big plague epidemics at the end of 17c. after which the Muslims diminished considerably. The Gagauz are in fact local Bulgarians (but not excluding Vlach and Albanians) who linguistically, but not religiously Turkified.

  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eastara For This Useful Post:

     Fungene (05-18-2018),  lukaszM (01-22-2018),  Modernancientdna (01-22-2018)

  13. #28
    Banned
    Posts
    6,336
    Sex
    Location
    Torun
    Ethnicity
    Central 75% + 25% Mazovia
    Nationality
    Pole
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a > M198 > YP 1337

    Poland
    Quote Originally Posted by eastara View Post
    It is a known fact the Gagauz in Moldova moved there from Varna region in Bulgaria with the population exchange agreement between Russian and Ottoman empires in late 18th - early 19 c. During that time also ethnic Bulgarians and even orthodox Albanians also settled there. The Turks got some Crimean Tartars in return, and later Cherkess from the Caucasus. However the Gagauz seem to be new settlers in Varna region - Ottoman archives form 17 c. tell that only Muslim lived in that area. Probably the Bulgarian and Gagauz, who migrated to Bessarabia from there, lived in current Greece, South Albania and Macedonia and moved to Varna after the big plague epidemics at the end of 17c. after which the Muslims diminished considerably. The Gagauz are in fact local Bulgarians (but not excluding Vlach and Albanians) who linguistically, but not religiously Turkified.
    This is interesting what you say about Vlach, because in oracles were Gagauzes are included, some Romanians which I checked have Gagauz at the tops.

  14. #29
    Registered Users
    Posts
    1,035
    Sex
    Location
    Last of the Mohicans
    Ethnicity
    Gafasigirig
    Nationality
    Icecold
    Y-DNA (P)
    Q-Y16849
    mtDNA (M)
    H14a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R-Z2103
    mtDNA (P)
    HV-T16311C!

    Turkey Afsharid Dynasty
    Their culture also contains Turkic elements, changing language does not take these along.
    Of all the countries, this is possibly the most beautiful. All that is beautiful and can be rarely seen in
    other countries can be seen everywhere here... Here live the people who wear the cleanest clothes and prepare the
    most flavorful dishes... Of all of God’s servants, the local people are the most compassionate and merciful...

    Ibn Battuta about Asia Minor 1333CE

  15. #30
    Registered Users
    Posts
    156
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Türk
    Nationality
    Türk
    Y-DNA (P)
    N1b-P43>VL67>VL85
    mtDNA (M)
    H1a3

    Turkey Azerbaijan Northern Cyprus Turkmenistan Kazakhstan Kyrgyzstan
    Gagavuz has nothing to do with Ottomans, neither their dialect is same with Balkan Turkish. They are an seperate Turkic group of their own, Oghuz Speaker with Gagavuz Dialect.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to basmaci For This Useful Post:

     maydonez (01-24-2018)

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-14-2020, 02:46 AM
  2. Replies: 134
    Last Post: 04-12-2020, 06:14 PM
  3. Replies: 88
    Last Post: 08-21-2019, 01:31 PM
  4. Maya people vs Nahua people
    By Omar_Medina92 in forum General
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-10-2017, 05:16 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •