50% Greek 50% North Euro
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    JP58+M9119 (Lesbos)
    mtDNA
    H18b (England)

Cyprus Greece England Scotland Germany
    Recently learned that the direct maternal line likely goes back to England.

Sex
    Omitted
    Nationality
    USA
    mtDNA
    H18

Hello everyone.
    anyone?
    This is an old thread but just about all I can find about H18 besides academic papers. I found out I have this mtDNA type through 23 and Me. This paper about haplogroup H in Caucasus and Western Asia found six H18 individuals in the middle east: 5 in the Arabian peninsula, 1 in Syria, out of initial 6199 samples in region narrowed it to just 1219 H individuals. 1 of 28 hg H Syrians were H18. 5 of 52 hg H samples in Arabian peninsula were H18, a notably higher incidence overall compared to the rest of the region. The H18 group is shown as an orange band on a chart in the paper.

I am not allowed to post links, but anyone can google and find this free paper from 2006. Origin and Expansion of Haplogroup H, the Dominant Human Mitochondrial DNA Lineage in West Eurasia: The Near Eastern and Caucasian Perspective Free
    "A total of 6,199 samples were screened for the absence of 7025 AluI restriction site (induced by a T to C transition at np 7028), indicative of hg H. Of these, 1,219 fell to hg H and 545 samples were involved to detailed clustering. "

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Nationality
    Australian
    Y-DNA
    T-P322
    mtDNA
    H6a1

Australia Cornwall England Scotland Germany Poland
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralna View Post
    Hello everyone.
    anyone?
    This is an old thread but just about all I can find about H18 besides academic papers. I found out I have this mtDNA type through 23 and Me. This paper about haplogroup H in Caucasus and Western Asia found six H18 individuals in the middle east: 5 in the Arabian peninsula, 1 in Syria, out of initial 6199 samples in region narrowed it to just 1219 H individuals. 1 of 28 hg H Syrians were H18. 5 of 52 hg H samples in Arabian peninsula were H18, a notably higher incidence overall compared to the rest of the region. The H18 group is shown as an orange band on a chart in the paper.

I am not allowed to post links, but anyone can google and find this free paper from 2006. Origin and Expansion of Haplogroup H, the Dominant Human Mitochondrial DNA Lineage in West Eurasia: The Near Eastern and Caucasian Perspective Free
    "A total of 6,199 samples were screened for the absence of 7025 AluI restriction site (induced by a T to C transition at np 7028), indicative of hg H. Of these, 1,219 fell to hg H and 545 samples were involved to detailed clustering. "
    This paper is Roostalu (et al) 2006 https://academic.oup.com/mbe/article/24/2/436/1148196

Technology has advanced and terminology also, with a major revision in 2012 from Behar http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...02929712001462
    Look towards the bottom for the link to Supplement in which you will find the date of formation of H18 around page 103.

Academic articles can be hard work, but rewarding with these dates and also some good maps sometimes.
    Google Scholar has some handy features.
    For example, you could locate that earlier Roostalu paper and then look for papers that refer to it (under "cited") and then filter for recent dates to find the latest work.

H18 is certainly rare. Good luck.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Saetro For This Useful Post:

Ralna (01-17-2018)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234