H6a1b2

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by vettor View Post
    I went from 9 STR matches to 35
    then uploaded by FTDNA STR
    I dropped to 6 matches
    and now it is 13 STR matches

the SNP matches has always remained at 6

what does the pale blue squared numbers represent?
    The blue squared numbers in your STR results are values obtained from the FTDNA STR upload but YFull weren't able to determine a value for this marker based on the BAM file upload. For example, if I hover the mouse over the value for DYS393 it says 'FTDNA: 13 | YFull 13?' or for DYS392 it says 'FTDNA: 13 | YFull: n/a'.

I think I know why the STR matches have changed for my dad. When looking at STR results, there are 780 STRs and towards the bottom of the page, there are lots of STRs typed in red with * which means that they're new STRs. I wonder if that has to do with the new Big Y-700 with YFull now reporting the extra STRs that are reported with Big Y-700.
    Last edited by FionnSneachta; 02-12-2019 at 05:53 PM.
    Ancestry: Ireland (Roscommon, Galway, Mayo)
    Paternal ancestor (Y): Kelly b. c1830 in Co. Roscommon
    Father's mtDNA: Fleming b. c1831 in Co. Roscommon (H27e)
    Maternal ancestor (mt): McDermott b. c1814 in Co. Roscommon
    Paternal great grandfather (mt): Connella b. c1798 in Co. Roscommon (T2a1a8)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FionnSneachta For This Useful Post:

vettor (02-12-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly Welsh,+ flags
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    R1a- Z283 - BY135739
    mtDNA
    J2a1a1a

Wales Scotland Ireland Cornwall United Kingdom
    I just went up to 32 close matches, not sure how valuable it is, as the common SNP is R-Z283, which is very old, just the 1 McDonald is a young new SNP of 750 yrs.
    Gedmatch
    Kit Num: M129412
    23andme
    Hidden Content
    LivingDNA
    Hidden Content

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sgdavies@hotmail.com For This Useful Post:

curiousII (02-13-2019),  JMcB (02-12-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italian Alpine
    Nationality
    Australian and Italian
    Y-DNA
    T1a2b- Z19945 - Jura
    mtDNA
    H95a - Osii

Australia Italy Veneto Friuli Italy Trentino Alto Adige Austria Tirol Germany Palatinate
    Quote Originally Posted by FionnSneachta View Post
    The blue squared numbers in your STR results are values obtained from the FTDNA STR upload but YFull weren't able to determine a value for this marker based on the BAM file upload. For example, if I hover the mouse over the value for DYS393 it says 'FTDNA: 13 | YFull 13?' or for DYS392 it says 'FTDNA: 13 | YFull: n/a'.

I think I know why the STR matches have changed for my dad. When looking at STR results, there are 780 STRs and towards the bottom of the page, there are lots of STRs typed in red with * which means that they're new STRs. I wonder if that has to do with the new Big Y-700 with YFull now reporting the extra STRs that are reported with Big Y-700.
    So the red script ones are yfull or more ftdna ?

And, if the pale blue are "differences" between ftdna and yfull, where do we stand then with these STR matches

European = 99.2%......Central Asian = 0.8% ....Yfull - 1460BC, Jura caves
    Father's Mtdna .........T2b17
    Grandfather's Mtdna .......T1a1e
    Sons Mtdna .......K1a4
    Maternal Grandfather paternal......I1d-P109...CTS6009
    Wife's Ydna .....R1a-Z282

My Path = ( K-M9+, TL-P326+, T-M184+, L490+, M70+, PF5664+, L131+, L446+, CTS933+, CTS54+, CTS8862+, Z19945+, Y70078+ )

The main negatives = ( M193-, P322-, P327-, Pages11- , L25- , CTS1848- )

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Irish
    Y-DNA
    R-BY3440-Y160102
    mtDNA
    H6a1b2

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by vettor View Post
    So the red script ones are yfull or more ftdna ?

And, if the pale blue are "differences" between ftdna and yfull, where do we stand then with these STR matches
    YFull accept the values that FTDNA have provided in the STR uploads. The STR matches are based on all your STR values including those in the blue box.

The red script are reported by YFull. You're able to view the STRs by all, 37, 67, 111, FTY or YSEQ. The STRs in red are not found in FTY so that means they're reported by YFull rather than coming from your STR upload.

I've also just included an image of the STRs we're referring to just in case there's any confusion.

STR.png

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FionnSneachta For This Useful Post:

JMcB (02-12-2019),  vettor (02-12-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Proto-Algorithm Changling
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1b>P312>DF27>Z2573
    mtDNA
    H11a

United States of America California Republic
    Quote Originally Posted by sgdavies@hotmail.com View Post
    I just went up to 32 close matches, not sure how valuable it is, as the common SNP is R-Z283, which is very old, just the 1 McDonald is a young new SNP of 750 yrs.
    I had one close match after I uploaded my YSEQ WGS. The only group I was in was the Z2573. Then I joined both the DF27 and the Anglo-Saxon/Norman groups. That was just a couple of days ago. My close match list is presently at 360 and rising every day.

Being WAMH my Family Tree 12 Marker matches are, present count, 7,712. I don't know how YFull does its calculations (I sort of do now after reading this thread), but I certainly hope it doesn't mirror Family Tree's methods. Not criticizing Family Tree, but I don't try to contact their y-DNA matches much at all anymore.

Presently my closest YFull match is 23 differences out of 355 compared STRs, distance 0.065. Before my joining these groups the one match I had was 0.067. He's downstream from Z2572.

I'm probably more Norman than Anglo-Saxon with my haplogroup, but Z2573's said to be from the Pyrenees and it doesn't include the Basque Marker so I must've had some relative passing through there before he crossed the Channel. My family names are common British ones; maybe I'll be of some use to their group. From the group description:

The purpose of this new group is to look for Anglo-Saxon, Norman and Pre-Viking genetics in people who have a good paper record of Anglo-Saxon and Norman ancestry. Those who have surnames associated with Anglo-Saxon and Norman ancestry. Those whose ancestors have lived in geographic lands occupied by Angles, Saxons, Jutes, Frisians, and Normans. The group brings together all haplogroups, to enable research into which specific haplogroups share that ancestry.

Pre-Vikings is probably haplogroup I. That's not me, but the Pyrenees are in the Norman realm of influence. Or maybe they've settled on DF27 being from Quedlinberg instead of Iberia. There goes that argument again.

Just for fun: http://www.normanconnections.com/en/...-norman-world/
    "Bid me discourse, I will enchant thine ear..."

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to curiousII For This Useful Post:

sgdavies@hotmail.com (02-13-2019),  timberwolf (02-13-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA
    K2b2

I wonder if it's glitching, though. I went on and saw 4 STR close matches (vs. 0), was excited, and clicked on one to compare it and saw it was DF27 (which shouldn't be close). Got interrupted and then came back and they were gone.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

sgdavies@hotmail.com (02-13-2019),  timberwolf (02-13-2019),  vettor (02-13-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA
    K2b2

Quote Originally Posted by curiousII View Post
    I had one close match after I uploaded my YSEQ WGS. The only group I was in was the Z2573. Then I joined both the DF27 and the Anglo-Saxon/Norman groups. That was just a couple of days ago. My close match list is presently at 360 and rising every day.

Being WAMH my Family Tree 12 Marker matches are, present count, 7,712. I don't know how YFull does its calculations (I sort of do now after reading this thread), but I certainly hope it doesn't mirror Family Tree's methods. Not criticizing Family Tree, but I don't try to contact their y-DNA matches much at all anymore.
    My dad has 9002 12-marker matches now. I only look at them out of curiosity to see how many. He only has 25 25-marker matches (only 1 is 0 GD), 3 37-marker matches (the 0 25 guy and two others), and 3 67-marker matches (the 0 25 guy again, plus two different matches with distances of 6 and 7). The 0 25 guy turns out to be a 111-marker match too, but with a GD of 4.

With R1b, and probably with any of them, 12 markers doesn't give you much. In theory having so many more markers at YFull should be more informative. But we don't have any close matches, so hard to say.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

curiousII (02-13-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Irish
    Y-DNA
    R-BY3440-Y160102
    mtDNA
    H6a1b2

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousII View Post

I haven't actually joined any projects on YFull. I'll have to see if any look relevant. The method would be the same as FTDNA really except that they take into account STRs beyond Y-111 as well. My dad is also WAMH and has 16,524 at Y-12. I just know not to take any notice of these matches so it doesn't bother me that there's loads of matches at that level. I just know that the vast majority are irrelevant. I'd only take notice and contact matches at the Y-37 level or higher. Even then at Y-37 since there are 119 matches, I only take notice of those at a genetic distance of 2 or closer. I'd only pay attention to matches beyond GD 2 at Y-37 if the match shared my surname.

Out of all my dad's 163 STR matches, only the top four are relevant. The most distant one of these matches is 0.027 and we're thought to have a common ancestor around the 1500s. Beyond that, they're all too distant despite being labelled 'close'. The match just needs to be 0.1 or less to be considered close. My dad's fifth highest match is a distance of 0.071 with the last shared SNP being DF13 which is estimated by YFull to be 4,200 ybp. I know that all of these extra matches are irrelevant and they're not going to offer me any revelations but if I wasn't keeping an eye on them, I wouldn't have noticed the extra STRs being compared for the four matches that I actually care about.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FionnSneachta For This Useful Post:

curiousII (02-13-2019),  timberwolf (02-13-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Irish
    Y-DNA
    R-BY3440-Y160102
    mtDNA
    H6a1b2

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by msmarjoribanks View Post
    I wonder if it's glitching, though. I went on and saw 4 STR close matches (vs. 0), was excited, and clicked on one to compare it and saw it was DF27 (which shouldn't be close). Got interrupted and then came back and they were gone.
    It is possible. I've seen matches appear and disappear like that before. We'll just have to wait and see if all the matches stay or disappear over the next few days or if there's any difference to the number of STRs compared.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FionnSneachta For This Useful Post:

curiousII (02-13-2019),  msmarjoribanks (02-13-2019),  timberwolf (02-13-2019),  vettor (02-13-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italian Alpine
    Nationality
    Australian and Italian
    Y-DNA
    T1a2b- Z19945 - Jura
    mtDNA
    H95a - Osii

Australia Italy Veneto Friuli Italy Trentino Alto Adige Austria Tirol Germany Palatinate
    Quote Originally Posted by msmarjoribanks View Post
    I seem to also get some glitching......i have STR matches , with a sizemore from wales a mckee from ireland and a stockdell from scotland........they do have my branch of T1a2 but not my SNP

European = 99.2%......Central Asian = 0.8% ....Yfull - 1460BC, Jura caves
    Father's Mtdna .........T2b17
    Grandfather's Mtdna .......T1a1e
    Sons Mtdna .......K1a4
    Maternal Grandfather paternal......I1d-P109...CTS6009
    Wife's Ydna .....R1a-Z282

My Path = ( K-M9+, TL-P326+, T-M184+, L490+, M70+, PF5664+, L131+, L446+, CTS933+, CTS54+, CTS8862+, Z19945+, Y70078+ )

The main negatives = ( M193-, P322-, P327-, Pages11- , L25- , CTS1848- )

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vettor For This Useful Post:

curiousII (02-13-2019),  msmarjoribanks (02-13-2019)

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast