Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1a>L664>YP943
    mtDNA
    H4a1

United States of America Canada Denmark Switzerland England France
    Quote Originally Posted by firemonkey View Post
    My matches have now changed to 1 close and 9 distant.
    My YFull matches are going through a bewildering series of changes. Almost on a daily basis my matches change dramatically. A few days ago I had 300 distant matches, today only 3 or 4. I have no idea what is going on there.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RVBLAKE For This Useful Post:

curiousII (02-21-2019),  sgdavies@hotmail.com (02-21-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Proto-Algorithm Changling
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1b>P312>DF27>Z2573
    mtDNA
    H11a

United States of America California Republic
    Quote Originally Posted by RVBLAKE View Post
    My YFull matches are going through a bewildering series of changes. Almost on a daily basis my matches change dramatically. A few days ago I had 300 distant matches, today only 3 or 4. I have no idea what is going on there.
    And now my matches have been decrease again. My WGS distant match list is down to 42 after it'd climbed back up to 90 or so, and my Big Y distant matches are now only 17. Both tests used to show 500 distant matches which I took to be the default limit. Guess not.

I sure seem to be getting the boot out of that Anglo-Saxon/Norman group, I'm sure I don't match anyone there now. Same thing happened when I thought I was Celtic. Whatever the argument is about where DF27 began, I don't have the Basque Marker and I have 425 cM of my cousin's kid's U106>Z307 y-haplogroup. If YFull tries to boot that out of me I can probably get it CRISPRed back in!

Right?
    "Bid me discourse, I will enchant thine ear..."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to curiousII For This Useful Post:

RVBLAKE (02-21-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    E-BY14160
    mtDNA
    J1c2p

Italy Two Sicilies England Sweden Netherlands
    Same with me. I only ever had 1 or 2 close matches. But I had 200+ Distant. Now both are 0.
    nMonte K36
    Fit = 1.87
    NE England 47.5%
    IT Calabria 33.3%
    NL_Friesland 13.3%
    SV_Svealand 5.83%

G25
    Fit=2.03
    Eng 61.67%
    IT South 30%
    Sweden 8.33%

E-V13 => E-PH1246 => E-BY14160
    Antonio Reale born circa 1710, Ciminà Italy

6. The Following User Says Thank You to digital_noise For This Useful Post:

curiousII (02-21-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Irish
    Y-DNA
    R-BY3440-Y160102
    mtDNA
    H6a1b2f

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by RVBLAKE View Post
    YFull added extra STRs
    A few months ago, we began full-scale scinetific searches of new Y-STR markers on several criteria. The marker should not be shorter than 3 repetitions and the marker should be mutable, that is, mutate at least in one sample with a high level of confidence. Today we add 193 new Y-STR markers to the list (now total 780). These are mostly slow markers because all the fast markers were previously found and known. New markers have names within DYR299 <-> DYR858. This is the first batch of new markers. Other markers will be added later. All new markers will be added to the results on the "STR results" page as they are calculated for a sample. All STR matches will also be recalculated, taking into account new markers and excluding palindromes and synonyms. This will make match results more accurate.
    They've adjusted the matching threshold which was needed with all these extra STRs. My dad had previously had 4 close STR matches. With the new STRs, he had 173 STR matches with most having a TMRCA 4,500 ybp (R-DF13). With the new threshold added, he's now back at 4 close matches. The criteria could change again in the future so that people will have a similar number of matches as previously before the additional STRs were added. This is the new criteria for close and distant matches:
    Close matches are defined by YFull as matches with a genetic distance of less than 0.055, and Distant matches as matches with a genetic distance of 0.055 to 0.09.
    The close matches threshold has been lowered to 0.055 from 0.1 previously while distant matches are now at 0.09.
    Ancestry: Ireland (Paper trail ≅ 81.25% Roscommon, 12.5% Galway, 6.25% Mayo)
    Paternal ancestor (Y): Kelly b. c1830 in Co. Roscommon (Uí Maine)
    Father's mtDNA: Fleming b. c1831 in Co. Roscommon (H27e)
    Maternal ancestor (mt): McDermott b. c1814 in Co. Roscommon
    Paternal great grandfather (mt): Connella b. c1798 in Co. Roscommon (T2a1a8)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to FionnSneachta For This Useful Post:

curiousII (02-21-2019)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Atlantic Celtic
    Nationality
    French
    Y-DNA
    R-DF5+, R-Z248+
    mtDNA
    H2c

France France Bretagne
    I feel less lost reading the last messages posted in this thread … My results noted as of November 27, 2018 were 47 close matches and 500 distant matches. Now my results are 0 close matches and 8 distant matches. The problem with Yfull is not that they made that change, which I assume (as a non-expert) was an absolute necessity. The problem is that they have not informed its members (and the public) properly. At some point in time this year, they completely revised the content of the FAQ « Q: What is YFull's STR Comparison Methodology? », but they have left at the end of the same : « Last updated on March 28, 2018. » !

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvain For This Useful Post:

sgdavies@hotmail.com (03-21-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly Welsh,+ flags
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    R1a- Z283 - Y128147
    mtDNA
    J2a1a1a

Wales Scotland Ireland Cornwall United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvain View Post
    I feel less lost reading the last messages posted in this thread … My results noted as of November 27, 2018 were 47 close matches and 500 distant matches. Now my results are 0 close matches and 8 distant matches. The problem with Yfull is not that they made that change, which I assume (as a non-expert) was an absolute necessity. The problem is that they have not informed its members (and the public) properly. At some point in time this year, they completely revised the content of the FAQ « Q: What is YFull's STR Comparison Methodology? », but they have left at the end of the same : « Last updated on March 28, 2018. » !
    I seem to at least gets email updates from them, are you on their emails list?
    Here is my last email:-

Hello Stephen Grant-Davies!
    News from YFull.com

New feature. "Upload STRs" from FTDNA and YSEQ.

Now it is possible to upload STR haplotypes from CSV files that were tested using the Sanger method and other methods from FTDNA and YSEQ labs.

If in the BAM file any STR marker was not extracted or low confidence, then in this marker the STR allele will be replaced with the correct result that you uploaded (FTDNA or YSEQ). These markers will be highlighted in blue on the "STR results" page. When you hover over this marker, additional information will appear. From the data file with STR results that will downloaded from FTDNA (Big Y-500) we will use 111 markers, but only for those markers that were not extracted or low confidence in the BAM file. STR results from YSEQ will be taken at least 12 markers (it eliminates errors when data uploading). In the future, it is planned to use "FTY" markers downloaded from FTDNA (Big Y-500), and the data from YSEQ will be downloaded directly from the YSEQ website by API with the personal permission of the sample owner in YSEQ. In this case, we will use from 1 marker and more downloaded from YSEQ.

Why upload STR data to YFull database? This STR data will be used when searching for STR matches. A match score will become more reliable as a larger number of markers will be compared. All results with a low confidence or not extracted in the 111 marker panel will be fully used. There will also be other additional improvements. Upload the STR data is easy. They can be deleted or reloaded at any time.

"Upload STRs" page - https://www.yfull.com/ls-upload-strs/

New feature. "Comparisons" tool.

More and more people are testing their DNA sample in different laboratories ordering different quality products. And two and three and four sequences of one person made in different laboratories are not uncommon. The new "Comparisons" page is a handy tool for comparing two or more sequences of one person. Information is presented in a compact and intuitive interface.
    "Comparisons" page - https://www.yfull.com/comparisons/

New feature. STR branches.

Very slowly mutated STR markers are very similar to SNP. These STRs can be trusted. We have selected the most stable STR mutations to create new branches in the YTree or combine already existing branches. You can see two on the YTree at the moment:

J-Y19681a | DYS476=10
    https://www.yfull.com/tree/J-Y19681/

C-Y12782a | DYS632=9
    https://www.yfull.com/tree/C-Y12782/

In the next version of the YTree about 100 such branches more will appear in different haplogroups.

New samples:
    1. new sample ERS2374306 in subclade R-Y39884*
    2. new sample ERS2374410 in subclade R-Y41571
    3. new sample ERS2374286 in subclade R-Z2124

To unsubscribe please click http://www.yfull.com/settings/account/
    Gedmatch
    Kit Num: M129412, QA3736362
    23andme
    Hidden Content
    LivingDNA
    Hidden Content

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sgdavies@hotmail.com For This Useful Post:

Tonev (04-17-2019),  vettor (03-21-2019)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Atlantic Celtic
    Nationality
    French
    Y-DNA
    R-DF5+, R-Z248+
    mtDNA
    H2c

France France Bretagne
    Thanks for the tip, Stephen, but I never got such email updates from YFull. I just checked my settings using the "unsubscribe" link in your last email: all the 7 "origin settings" are properly ticked:

1/Show on the YTree:
    Displaying sample ID on the YTree
    2/Show STRs:
    Displaying STRs in the groups
    3/Show SNPs:
    Displaying SNPs in the groups
    4/Show browser for group admin:
    Displaying browser in the groups
    5/Show browser for group:
    6/Subscribe to news:
    Subscribe to news about sample and close YTree subclades

7/Receive PM (personal messages):

Any better idea?

Also, no matter that an email update was timely sent or not, re: STR Comparison Methodology, the date of the update as shown in the FAQ page is wrong and misleading ...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvain For This Useful Post:

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Atlantic Celtic
    Nationality
    French
    Y-DNA
    R-DF5+, R-Z248+
    mtDNA
    H2c

France France Bretagne
    Thanks for the tip, Stephen, but I never got such email updates from YFull. I just checked my settings using the "unsubscribe" link in your last email: all the 7 "origin settings" are properly ticked:

1/Show on the YTree:
    Displaying sample ID on the YTree
    2/Show STRs:
    Displaying STRs in the groups
    3/Show SNPs:
    Displaying SNPs in the groups
    4/Show browser for group admin:
    5/Show browser for group:
    6/Subscribe to news:
    Subscribe to news about sample and close YTree subclades

7/Receive PM (personal messages):

Any better idea?

Also, no matter that an email update was timely sent or not, re: STR Comparison Methodology, the date of the update as shown in the FAQ page is wrong and misleading ...

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA
    K2b2

Quote Originally Posted by msmarjoribanks View Post
    My dad now has 0 close matches and 2 distant matches (both of which are L21-DF13, while he is L21-DF63). His only SNP match (which is not very close -- TMRCA estimated at 3500) is not one of the two distant STR matches.
    This has dropped to 0 close and 1 distant, and the distant is still DF13 and not one of the DF63s. Basically no true matches (which is what FTDNA says).

17. The Following User Says Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Bulgarian
    Nationality
    Bulgarian
    Y-DNA
    G-FT9612 G2a2b2a1a..
    mtDNA
    (H2a2a*?TBD)

Bulgaria
    Quote Originally Posted by FionnSneachta View Post
    You're able to check how close they are if you click on their terminal Hg. More than likely they're not close matches. YFull say that only samples that have an estimated age of 5000 ybp or younger (using TMRCA from the YTree) are included in matching. My dad has some matches in the STR list who only have P312 in common with him which is 4500 ybp. I don't think that there's much point in paying much attention to STR maches on YFull unless they share your terminal haplogroup. It's different with FTDNA since not all STR matches have Big Y so you do need to look at STR matches to determine if they could be a close match and encourage them to upgrade to Big Y. On YFull, you're able to see all of the haplogroups of your STR matches so you know straight away that a lot of the matches are irrelevant.

The new STR matches aren't a glitch. YFull announced this on Facebook:

As time goes on, they may change the matching criteria again though since there is such an increase in match numbers. It will likely change again anyway since they are to add more markers. The added STRs are slow markers so I don't think you'd really expect to see an STR difference with close SNP matches for these markers. That might make them have to adjust their calculation for STR matches since if they're slow, then matches from a long time ago could share these matches which seems to be the case with the large increase in matches.
    Hello,
    Does that FB announcement explain the fact that my DYS 464 (1,2,3,4) from FTDNA Y-37 was not uploaded in YFULL? ( "... All STR matches will also be recalculated, taking into account new markers and excluding palindromes and synonyms. ...")

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast