Thread: S5668 origins

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

S5668 origins

Hi All,

Haven't been on here in a while, but I was talking to Ann S (don't know if she's on here?) recently about the possibility of S5668 being originated in Ireland. So far all those who are posted on S5668, and nothing downstream, look like they would have ancestry in Ireland, and based on surnames as well: Connell, Bierney, McCarthy, plus one Brown who has a MDKA in Scotland I believe.

I was looking at Mike's excellent graphic for L21 over at the FTDNA project page, and noticed that S5668 was down as around 1800 BC for an origin date. I know there were major climatic changes around then (Hekla explosion?), which forced population movement. Could the scenario be that S5668 was born in Ireland, then descendant groups drifted over to Scotland where the subsequent mutations, e.g. A7 and so on, took place?

Jon

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    mtDNA
    H

I think S5668 could have been born in Ireland but it just as easily been born in England, Scotland, NW France or the Low Countries. It's quite hard to tell with scattering of L513 across the British Isles and even into France, Belgium and Sweden. S5668 is old enough to be originating at the end of the Bell Beaker phenomenon. These guy were extemely mobile and found all over the Isles, the Atlantic Coasts, the Lower and Middle Rhine and even Denmark and Norway.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mikewww For This Useful Post:

Jon (05-26-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

Thanks Mike! This recent expanding of the aDNA picture with the Bell Beaker paper is just thrilling. It's like a huge canvas just getting bigger and bigger, showing the interconnectedness of it all. How amazing would it be to find L513 in aDNA remains...I wait in anticipation. Thanks for the L21 project updates as well by the way - they're fantastic.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    100% Mutt mostly Irish
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1b-L513/Z16337

United States of America Ireland Scotland Germany Imperial
    Jon,

I think I answered this with my opinion over at Yahoo L513. Suffice to say, in my opinion given the scattering of surnames to Sweden, Belgium, Ireland and Scotland, it looks to me as if we were associated with the Menapii in Belgium/Holland coast.

Brad

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mag Uidhir 6 For This Useful Post:

Jon (06-06-2017)