Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: My Parentsí Results- Sicilians born in Palermo and Trapani

  1. #1

    My Parentsí Results- Sicilians born in Palermo and Trapani

    Hey everyone! I have been lurking this forum for some time now and finally decided to create an account. I am pretty new to the world of genetics, but I am eager and excited to learn more, especially about my own family genetics.

    I thought I would share my parents Ancestry results and get some feedback. I was thinking of possibly doing a test myself. Possibility on 23 & Me

    My Father, born in Palermo

    80% Italy
    6% Greece and the Balkans (he has some Greek heritage I have been told)
    6% Middle East
    3% Turkey and the Caucasus
    3% Sardinia
    1% Iran/Persia
    1% Baltic States

    I was expecting to see the Middle East, but the Iran and Baltic states surprised me a bit. Then again I don’t know much about genetics. I have been mistaken as Lebanese by many Lebanese people, so I have always wondered if the Middle Eastern Ancestry is from the Levant.

    My mother, born in Trapani

    89% Italy
    9% Turkey and the Caucasus
    2% Spain

    She used to have Scandinavia, Ireland, Scotland, Whales, and the UK. However, after the update they were removed.
    Last edited by Miotas; 10-17-2019 at 12:04 AM.

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Miotas For This Useful Post:

     Claudio (10-18-2019),  Hayden (10-30-2019),  Rufus191 (10-17-2019)

  3. #2
    Banned
    Posts
    279
    Sex
    Location
    France
    Ethnicity
    Italo-Celtic
    Nationality
    French

    France Italy 1861-1946 Switzerland
    Interesting results, the 2% Spain appearing in Trapani result could come from spaniards of il Regno delle due Sicilie.

    Anyway the percentage of Middle East is I believe Levantine and Arab (Arab peninsula)

    It makes sense with your overall look, you will have however some sardinian, greek and spanish ! Your father has a strange family line I think to come with 6%Greek and 3% Sardinian.
    Last edited by Genetique; 10-17-2019 at 12:12 AM.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Genetique For This Useful Post:

     Claudio (10-18-2019),  Sikeliot (10-17-2019)

  5. #3
    Registered Users
    Posts
    524
    Sex
    Location
    0114
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Nationality
    English
    Y-DNA (P)
    Possibly R1b
    mtDNA (M)
    H1a3a1

    England North of England Ireland Scotland Germany Romani Star of David
    Quote Originally Posted by Genetique View Post
    Interesting results, the 2% Spain appearing in Trapani result could come from spaniards of il Regno delle due Sicilie.

    Anyway the percentage of Middle East is I believe Levantine and Arab (Arab peninsula)

    It makes sense with your overall look, you will have however some sardinian, greek and spanish ! Your father has a strange family line I think to come with 6%Greek and 3% Sardinian.
    There is a small Greek community in southern Italy I've been told.
    Target: mildlycurly_scaled
    Distance: 1.3578% / 0.01357814
    57.0 Irish
    37.6 English
    2.6 Roma_Barcelona
    1.8 Ashkenazi_Germany
    1.0 Roma_Granada


    Current research interest(s): The Viscontis of Milan

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to mildlycurly For This Useful Post:

     Sikeliot (10-17-2019)

  7. #4
    Banned
    Posts
    4,342
    Sex
    Location
    USA
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a
    mtDNA (M)
    H

    United States of America
    You should upload them to Gedmatch!

    Ancestrydna now is slightly over fitted for south Italians so the Italian category hides some middle eastern embedded in Sicily. Your father definitely may have Phoenician given history in Palermo. Iran could be Elymian.

    Your mother may have genuine Spanish.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sikeliot For This Useful Post:

     Miotas (10-17-2019),  Nino90 (10-17-2019)

  9. #5
    Banned
    Posts
    279
    Sex
    Location
    France
    Ethnicity
    Italo-Celtic
    Nationality
    French

    France Italy 1861-1946 Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by mildlycurly View Post
    There is a small Greek community in southern Italy I've been told.
    I said that because Sicilians on average show very low greek and balkan but I don't know if it's because the tests come from areas that didn't received greek settlers or whatever.

    There are apulians and cosentians that have 17% of Greek and Balkan !

  10. #6
    Banned
    Posts
    4,342
    Sex
    Location
    USA
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a
    mtDNA (M)
    H

    United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by Genetique View Post
    I said that because Sicilians on average show very low greek and balkan but I don't know if it's because the tests come from areas that didn't received greek settlers or whatever.

    There are apulians and cosentians that have 17% of Greek and Balkan !
    He probably has recent Greek input like people fleeing Ottoman rule.

    I've seen this in many Sicilians. I'm not surprised his mother doesn't score it though as Trapani is the least Greek part of Sicily. I'm surprised she has no NA.
    Last edited by Sikeliot; 10-17-2019 at 03:40 PM.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sikeliot For This Useful Post:

     Genetique (10-17-2019)

  12. #7
    Banned
    Posts
    279
    Sex
    Location
    France
    Ethnicity
    Italo-Celtic
    Nationality
    French

    France Italy 1861-1946 Switzerland
    Interesting I never heard about that ! Greeks fleeing Ottoman rule that came in Sicily, so that would mean that there are Palermitans that are not so southern-shifted compared to the average (and even northern-shifted).

  13. #8
    Registered Users
    Posts
    207
    Sex
    Location
    UK
    Ethnicity
    Mostly British Isles

    United Kingdom Ireland France Scotland Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by Genetique View Post
    Interesting I never heard about that ! Greeks fleeing Ottoman rule that came in Sicily, so that would mean that there are Palermitans that are not so southern-shifted compared to the average (and even northern-shifted).
    Not just Greeks, Albanians also. There is some crossover with the 'Greek' DNA profile as tens of thousands of Albanians also fled to Greece at the same time. The Turkey DNA may be Anatolian Greeks or some more ancient connections from Byzantine or ancient periods.

    http://www.bestofsicily.com/mag/art183.htm
    https://theworldelsewhere.com/2018/0...egli-albanesi/
    Last edited by Rufus191; 10-17-2019 at 04:40 PM.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Rufus191 For This Useful Post:

     Sikeliot (10-17-2019)

  15. #9
    Banned
    Posts
    279
    Sex
    Location
    France
    Ethnicity
    Italo-Celtic
    Nationality
    French

    France Italy 1861-1946 Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus191 View Post
    Not just Greeks, Albanians also. There is some crossover with the 'Greek' DNA profile as tens of thousands of Albanians also fled to Greece at the same time. The Turkey DNA may be Anatolian Greeks or some more ancient connections from Byzantine or ancient periods.

    http://www.bestofsicily.com/mag/art183.htm
    https://theworldelsewhere.com/2018/0...egli-albanesi/
    Yep but from I what I know arbereshe predominantly setteld in Calabria, not in Sicilia, and some genetic studies have proven that they are not very different from the sicilian population unlike those of Calabria (actually I don't know if it's really true).

  16. #10
    Banned
    Posts
    4,342
    Sex
    Location
    USA
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a
    mtDNA (M)
    H

    United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by Genetique View Post
    Interesting I never heard about that ! Greeks fleeing Ottoman rule that came in Sicily, so that would mean that there are Palermitans that are not so southern-shifted compared to the average (and even northern-shifted).
    I don't think most have recent Greek. But those who do might shift north.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-11-2020, 08:23 PM
  2. Help me with my parents' K13 results
    By Holocene in forum General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-19-2019, 02:20 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-29-2017, 12:03 AM
  4. My PuntDNAL K8 results + both parents
    By SWAHILLI_PRINCE16 in forum Medical Genetics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-05-2017, 05:34 AM
  5. My results from 23andme. (+ Parents)
    By Colleen in forum French
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 09-18-2016, 10:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •