Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ashkenazi Results at Living DNA?

Banned
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b1b2a1a1
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c1

United States of America United Kingdom

Ashkenazi Results at Living DNA?

Of the 80 regions listed in Living DNA's reference populations, none of them are Ashkenazi or any other Jewish group for that matter. Those of you who have Jewish ancestry, what regions are you getting at Living DNA? I'm guessing top populations include Aegean, South Italy, Kurdish, Levant, and Southeastern Europe, not necessarily in that order.

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    karius the black hair
    Nationality
    east med

thats why i didn't
    do this test
    only when they will have jewish refrences i will consider

at least in my heritage they have 4 diffrent jewish diaspora refrences
    and as you say in living dna nada
    regards
    adam

p.s
    i believe that if a full aschenazi will took this test the results will be more or less as you described

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kingjohn For This Useful Post:

Power77 (06-13-2017),  Principe (06-11-2017),  Targum (06-11-2017)

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by kingjohn View Post
    thats why i didn't
    do this test
    only when they will have jewish refrences i will consider

at least in my heritage they have 4 diffrent jewish diaspora refrences
    and as you say in living dna nada
    regards
    adam

p.s
    i believe that if a full aschenazi will took this test the results will be more or less as you described
    Hi there KingJohn.. I have a question concerning Jewish ancestry and was sent your way.. could not seem to find a way to PM you so I thought I would ask here..on AncestryDNA I am 50%west European 36%Italian/Greek and 6%European Jewish..
    A fellow poster noted that My Iberian on Eurogens was quite high for a half Italian especially one with some European Jewish Ashkenazi ancestry on my mothers side.. my mother is English and has 10% European ashkenazi Jewish ancestry but also a mystery 8% Iberian.. she knows she had a Jewish great great grandfather and can trace one back to East London born in 1780.. there are no records of a Spaniard in the family,so my Question is could my mothers Jewish Ashkenazi ancestors have actually been Sephardi Spanish Jews? as this would account for the mystery Iberian?
    Hypothetically in this scenario if someone had a genuine Sephardic ancestor from that time period and they took an AncestryDNA test as there is no option for Sephardic Jewish ancestry could/would there Sephardic ancestry show up as a combination of Ashkenazi and Iberian instead?
    Here is my Gedmatch kit number if helps..
    A359314
    Last edited by Claudio; 06-12-2017 at 09:12 AM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Claudio For This Useful Post:

kingjohn (06-12-2017),  Power77 (06-13-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-M5021
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a1b1a

Quote Originally Posted by Claudio View Post
    Hi there.. KingJohn I have question concerning Jewish ancestry and was sent your way.. could not seem to find a way to PM you so I thought I would ask here..on AncestryDNA I am 50% west European 36% Italy/Greek 6%European Jewish..
    A fellow poster noted that My Iberian on Eurogens was quite high for a half Italian especially one with some European Jewish Ashkenazi ancestry.. my mother has 10% European ashkenazi Jewish ancestry and also a mystery 8% Iberian.. she knows she had a Jewish great great grandfather and can trace one back to East London born in 1780.. there is no records of a Spaniard in the family,so my Question is could my mothers Jewish ancestors been Sephardic Spanish Jews who came to London as this would account for the Iberian?
    Also hypothetically if someone had a genuine Sephardic ancestor and they took an AncestryDNA test as there is no option for Sephardic Jewish ancestry would/could there Sephardic ancestry show up as a combination of Ashkenazi and Iberian instead?
    All Sefaradim test high on Ashkenazi measurements, all Western Jews are similar and descend from same "seed" populations of Italqim and Romaniote.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Targum For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (06-12-2017),  JMcB (06-11-2017),  kingjohn (06-12-2017),  Power77 (06-13-2017),  Principe (06-11-2017),  Tz85 (06-11-2017)

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by Targum View Post
    All Sefaradim test high on Ashkenazi measurements, all Western Jews are similar and descend from same "seed" populations of Italqim and Romaniote.
    But how high would a full Sephardic Jew from back in the 18th century come up results wise on modern tests that are made to only detect Ashkenazi Jewry?
    Last edited by Claudio; 06-12-2017 at 09:21 AM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-M5021
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a1b1a

They are almost identical genetically with much overlap. Also the two populations were in contact/exchange.( look up Dr Kevin. Brook's articles on Khazaria for many documented cases of this.
    Last edited by Targum; 06-12-2017 at 12:40 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Targum For This Useful Post:

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-M5021
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a1b1a

As I have posted before, Dr Brook has triangulated several shared segments shared by him, other Jews who have been Ashkenazi in recent generations, me, and about 6 non-Jewish (anymore) Northern Mexicans. This can only be explained by all of us having a common Sefaradi ancestor, of whose descendants some became Ashkenazim and some became Mexicans.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Targum For This Useful Post:

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by Targum View Post
    As I have posted before, Dr Brook has triangulated several shared segments shared by him, other Jews who have been Ashkenazi in recent generations, me, and about 6 non-Jewish (anymore) Northern Mexicans. This can only be explained by all of us having a common Sefaradi ancestor, of whose descendants some became Ashkenazim and some became Mexicans.
    Interesting.. and thanks for the information.
    Following the paper trail we have it going back to a Jewish couple in London:
    Nathaniel Nathan & Eva Barnett (both Jewish)
    And Before that going back to 1780 to
    Nathaniel's father "Israel Nathan"
    I suspect "Israel Nathan" was a Sephardic Jew and part Iberian as we can not find anyone of Iberian decent anywhere else in the timeline.
    Also the Jewish Surname "Nathan" is quite common amongst both Ashkenazi & Sephardi Jews.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Claudio For This Useful Post:

Targum (06-13-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-M5021
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a1b1a

Yes you are correct. By the way Dr. Brook says all Ashkenazim have deeply imbedded N African ancestry as well. This is why 23andme gives me N African, and Dnaland and Wegenes give me SW Europe and Iberian, respectively.When you say "part Iberian', if you mean converts in Spain or N. Africa (Amazigh etc) in Roman times, yes, but certainly not in Christian or Muslim Spain.
    Last edited by Targum; 06-12-2017 at 01:43 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Targum For This Useful Post:

Power77 (06-13-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex

Netherlands
    Living DNA did not really assign my 6,25% Jewish (mixed Ash/Sef); it probably went under "Europe (unassigned)" and "World (unassigned)".

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pylsteen For This Useful Post:

JMcB (06-12-2017),  kingjohn (06-12-2017),  ollie444 (06-12-2017),  Power77 (06-13-2017),  Targum (06-12-2017)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast