Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ancestry DNA Middle East identification

Registered Users

Ancestry DNA Middle East identification

Hi there.. I am English with an Italian father and my results included 3%west Asian Middle East and I have been trying to pinpoint whereabouts in Middle East as this covers a lot of ground on the map.. I had already posted this question elsewhere but I just today noticed that although I scored 0% for caucasus I noticed that next to the 0% (unlike other 0% tested ethnicity's where it says 0-0 range) there is a small 0-2 range on my caucasus test result as if they tested me for caucasus and there was a trace but not enough to asign me a full 1%🤔
    Does this indicate that my 3% Middle East comes from North rather than South?
    and if so why was my 3% West Asian not assigned 2% Middle East 1% caucasus instead or such of such? 🤔
    Or does this indicate central Middle East levant,Syria,Iraq,Iran.. rather than Turkey or Arabia? Or such and such? Any theories?🤔
    Last edited by Claudio; 05-30-2017 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Grammar

Registered Users
    Sex

Canada
    Nearly all Southern Europeans will get a small amount of West Asian/North African. On the flip side, most North Africans and West Asians will score some Southern European. It's really not surprising given the amount of migration across the Mediterranean.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erik For This Useful Post:

dp (05-31-2017),  MonkeyDLuffy (06-04-2017),  Principe (05-30-2017)

Registered Users

I have uploaded my data to Gedmatch.. Anyone got any reccomended programmes i should run to try and pinpoint my 3% West Asian Middle Eastern Dna's likely placed of origin?

Registered Users
    Sex

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudio View Post
    I have uploaded my data to Gedmatch.. Anyone got any reccomended programmes i should run to try and pinpoint my 3% West Asian Middle Eastern Dna's likely placed of origin?
    There is no real place of origin, it's just what you get being half Italian

Registered Users

When I get my results back from 23andMe do you think they will interpret it differently?
    Least i'll be able to reference it with there "timescale feature" if it does comes up 🤔

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    american
    mtDNA (M)
    c1c4a1

did you get any jewish %'s as well?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Iranian Qashqai+Bakhtiari
    Nationality
    Iranian-American
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2a1a J-M47
    mtDNA (M)
    J1b1b1

Iran AchaemenidEmpire1 Iran Safavid Empire United States of America Kurdistan Iran Sassanid Empire
    Yeah, its very common for Italians to have West Asian DNA, I would be more surprised if you did not have West Asian. If you would like to know the source I suggest you look into the history of the town in Italy your family is from. Also the history of Arab invasions in Italy

Registered Users

Yes it intrigues me 👍
    On ancestryDNA I come up 50% Europe West,36% Italy Greece 6% askenazi Jew and 3% British 1% Irish and 1% Finland Russia..
    My mother having been tested and being British with a Jewish great great grandparent on one side I know the origin of the Europe West,British,Jewish, DNA.. My father being Italian but no longer with us I know the Origin of my Italian/Greek DNA.. since my mother tested negative for West asia I know it is from fathers side. I have now applied for a 23andMe test to see if there results come up any different or give me any more of an indication.. On my ancestryDNA test no North African or Caucasus DNA came up only the 3% West Asian. On 23andMe there grouping of Middle eastern regions is different.
    They group Arabians under the Middle East/North African label and the Whole region of Middle East from turkey to the North Arabian desert including the Levant under Caucasus.. my thinking is as I came up blank on AncestryDNA for Caucasus and North Africa.. that once I get my 23andMe results if it labels my 3% West Asian as and under Middle East I will assume Arabian Peninsula but if it labels the 3% under Caucasus since I came up blank on AncestryDNA for Caucasus I will assume The Levant region instead.. also I will hopefully be able to get a rough time scale from 23andMe's new timeline feature of when said ancestor entered the timeline and lived 👍
    In the meantime by putting my data through Gedmatch is there any particular programme test I can run to get any indicator of for either leaning more toward either Arabian,Levantine, or Caucasus DNA origin?
    Last edited by Claudio; 06-04-2017 at 12:03 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North & Ionian Seas
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1 (P109)

England Italy Germany Scotland
    whats your kit number on GEDmatch, I'd like to compare it to mine.

Registered Users

A359314 thanks JerryS.
    Much obliged 👍

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast