Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-S12192
    mtDNA (M)
    H10b

Austria Hungary

Hunnish DNA found in Europe?

Hello dear Community,

I am interested in genetical leftovers of the Huns, which was a central asian people. They spoke a turkic language, as far as I know. After the death of Attila the Huns splitted all over Eastern Europe and the Caucasus Region. Some of them were settled in the so-called "Dobruja"-Region, which is in Romania and Bulgaria today. Below the Volga settled the "Hunno-Bulgarians", they were called the descendants of the Huns.

Are there any genetical projects about the Huns? What is their assumed Y-DNA Haplogroup?
    Y-DNA: J1-ZS241 > ZS222 > Z18271 > S12192
    MT-DNA: H10b
    Eurogenes K15: East German 7.05, Hungarian 8.15, Croatian 12.10, Austrian 12.28, Ukrainian Lviv 12.46, South Polish 13.06
    Geno 2.0: 56% Eastern Europe, 32% Western & Central Europe, 8% GB & Ireland, 3% Arabia
    Eurogenes H-G-F: 57.25% Baltic Hunter Gatherer, 28.20% Mediterranean Farmer, 9.80% Anatolian Farmer, 1.87% Middle Eastern Herder, and others...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Maximilian For This Useful Post:

Ilgar (09-01-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Maximilian View Post
    Hello dear Community,

I am interested in genetical leftovers of the Huns, which was a central asian people. They spoke a turkic language, as far as I know. After the death of Attila the Huns splitted all over Eastern Europe and the Caucasus Region. Some of them were settled in the so-called "Dobruja"-Region, which is in Romania and Bulgaria today. Below the Volga settled the "Hunno-Bulgarians", they were called the descendants of the Huns.

Are there any genetical projects about the Huns? What is their assumed Y-DNA Haplogroup?
    How did they manage to get Hun DNA? did they found a body of an ancient hun?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Gandhara For This Useful Post:

hannah-lena (05-31-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    U106 Z326 R-BY27310
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c1b2a

United Kingdom Wales
    Hello dear Community,

I have raised this before mainly to try to find answers to regional percentages I get fairly consistently, Steppe/Turkic/ West Asian/ NW Pakistan region/Native American etc.. The Huns were in NW Pakistan region as well I understand. It hasn't been met with a lot of credibility so far, no-one wants to be descended from the Huns apparently.
    However, here is an article on the subject. I'm not saying it is accurate, but then again, we don't know everything. John

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...lv9mRbBrSe-yLw

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnHowellsTyrfro For This Useful Post:

Maximilian (05-31-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    I2a1b2a1b (A6105)
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a1b3

Canada Ukraine
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnHowellsTyrfro View Post
    I have raised this before mainly to try to find answers to regional percentages I get fairly consistently, Steppe/Turkic/ West Asian/ NW Pakistan region/Native American etc.. The Huns were in NW Pakistan region as well I understand. It hasn't been met with a lot of credibility so far, no-one wants to be descended from the Huns apparently.
    However, here is an article on the subject. I'm not saying it is accurate, but then again, we don't know everything. John

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...lv9mRbBrSe-yLw
    The Huns were not the only "Asiatic" population with an empire centered "east of the Rhine and north of the Danube". Where they lasted
    for about 80 years. Before the Magyars (but are there any Q's left among them?) there were also the Avars, who were lords there three times longer than the Huns. And there was a large group of Bulgars (the "Proto-" version) coexisting with the Avars to the very end of their state. Looking for the "real Huns", given the fact that they were already such a mixed lot even prior to the attack on the Ostrogoths, is quite a challenge, genetic-wise...

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to George For This Useful Post:

JohnHowellsTyrfro (05-31-2017),  lgmayka (05-31-2017),  Maximilian (05-31-2017),  Michał (05-31-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-S12192
    mtDNA (M)
    H10b

Austria Hungary
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnHowellsTyrfro View Post
    region as well I understand. It hasn't been met with a lot of credibility so far, no-one wants to be descended from the Huns apparently.
    Well, then you don't know my father!

In Hungarian Kingdom aswell as in communistic Hungary they teached in schools that the Hungarian People is a descendent of the Huns. Some Hungarians are pretty proud of this, but I never found the real genetic evidence for that. So if there is a person with Haplotype Q1b or Q1a2 they have most likely hunnish ancestry? That is absolutely fascinating!
    Eurogenes K15: East German 7.05, Hungarian 8.15, Croatian 12.10, Austrian 12.28, Ukrainian Lviv 12.46, South Polish 13.06
    Geno 2.0: 56% Eastern Europe, 32% Western & Central Europe, 8% GB & Ireland, 3% Arabia
    Eurogenes H-G-F: 57.25% Baltic Hunter Gatherer, 28.20% Mediterranean Farmer, 9.80% Anatolian Farmer, 1.87% Middle Eastern Herder, and others...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Maximilian For This Useful Post:

JohnHowellsTyrfro (05-31-2017)

Legacy Account
    Sex
    Nationality
    British
    mtDNA (M)
    H

United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandhara View Post
    How did they manage to get Hun DNA? did they found a body of an ancient hun?
    Ancient DNA of the Xiongnu, Hsiung-nu or Huns: http://www.ancestraljourneys.org/hunsdna.shtml
    Last edited by Jean M; 05-31-2017 at 08:05 AM.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jean M For This Useful Post:

Cascio (05-16-2019),  DMXX (05-31-2017),  JohnHowellsTyrfro (05-31-2017),  lgmayka (05-31-2017),  Maximilian (05-31-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-S12192
    mtDNA (M)
    H10b

Austria Hungary
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean M View Post
    Ancient DNA of the Xiongnu, Hsiung-nu or Huns: http://www.ancestraljourneys.org/hunsdna.shtml
    Which is pretty interesting because only one of the samples has proven Haplogroup Q. Results in mtDNA is quite fascinating.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly Welsh,+ flags
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a- Z283 - Y128147
    mtDNA (M)
    J2a1a1a

Wales Scotland Ireland Cornwall United Kingdom
    Well, then you don't know my father!

In Hungarian Kingdom aswell as in communistic Hungary they teached in schools that the Hungarian People is a descendent of the Huns. Some Hungarians are pretty proud of this, but I never found the real genetic evidence for that. So if there is a person with Haplotype Q1b or Q1a2 they have most likely hunnish ancestry? That is absolutely fascinating!
    During my travels, in Europe, I have met a few Hungarian people actually, and seems "Attila", is quite a common first given name amongst Hungarians, so I guess they must love their Hunnish heritage.
    Gedmatch
    Kit Num: M129412, QA3736362
    23andme
    Hidden Content
    LivingDNA
    Hidden Content

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to [email protected] For This Useful Post:

JohnHowellsTyrfro (05-31-2017),  MikeWhalen (05-31-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-S12192
    mtDNA (M)
    H10b

Austria Hungary
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    During my travels, in Europe, I have met a few Hungarian people actually, and seems "Attila", is quite a common first given name amongst Hungarians, so I guess they must love their Hunnish heritage.
    My father's first name actually is Attila

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maximilian For This Useful Post:

hannah-lena (05-31-2017),  JohnHowellsTyrfro (05-31-2017),  MikeWhalen (05-31-2017),  [email protected] (05-31-2017)

Legacy Account
    Sex
    Nationality
    British
    mtDNA (M)
    H

United Kingdom
    I doubt whether there is much Hunnic DNA in Hungary today. Despite the name of the country, its language is Uralic, while the population is of mainly Slavic origin. Extract from AJ:

The Magyars are extraordinary. We can seek their origins among those Uralic speakers who remained in their ancient hunting grounds near the Urals and developed the Ugric language branch ... What set the Magyars on a different track? We can find clues in the Hungarian language. Turkic vocabulary was acquired, as we might expect if the Magyars were trading with the Volga Bulgars. Magyar trappers could have supplied furs to the thriving Bulgar market. They seem to have lived close by, on the left bank of the Volga, in what was later called Magna Hungaria. What induced a section of the Magyars to take to a semi-nomadic life on the Pontic steppe c. AD 800 is unclear, but it preserved their distinct ethnic and linguistic identity, even within the expanded Khazar Khaganate. ...

On the steppe the Magyars were cattle-herders and slave-raiders. They were a formidable force, by contemporary accounts. Yet attacks from the fierce Turkic Petchenegs led them to look for pastures new. In the years around AD 900, the Magyars moved up the Danube and conquered the Carpathian Basin, founding the Principality of Hungary. Hungarian tribal names included some that were Turkic and Iranian. Some renegade Khazars joined the movement. Slavs were already living in the Carpathian Basin. The Principality was an ethnic mixture from the start. How were the Hungarians able to retain the Magyar language? The Magyars certainly migrated in numbers that enabled them to terrify Europe. As the historian Peter Heather writes:
    An orgy of equine-powered aggression saw Magyar raiding parties sweep through northern Italy and southern France with a ferocity not seen since the time of Attila.
    Why then do the modern Hungarians appear genetically much like their Slavic neighbours? Genome-wide testing detected only a low level of an Asian element. They show little of the Y-DNA haplogroup N1c1a (M178) found in other Uralic-speaking populations – only around 0.5 per cent. Is this the result of the many population changes since the arrival of the Magyars? Or did the Magyars not carry this marker? One study set out to answer this question. The team looked at 10th-century Hungarian bone samples from rich graves typical of the conquerors. Two out of four carried the marker for N1c. This is a striking result. It is too small a sample to rely upon statistically. In other words we should not assume that exactly half of the incomers were N1c bearers. What it does prove is that N1c was among the haplogroups that arrived with the Magyars. Significantly a newly discovered marker, N-L1034, seems characteristic of both the Hungarian N1c and that carried by the Mansi, who speak the closest relative of Magyar.

Another Magyar burial with a horse yielded the East Asian mtDNA N9a, also found in two earlier Sarmatian burials in Hungary. This was exceptional though. Most other mtDNA haplogroups from that period in Hungary fall into Western Eurasian lineages. Overall the picture is of the Magyars imposing their rule upon a Slavic population. Subsequent immigration from neighbouring countries would further dilute the Magyar input.
    Last edited by Jean M; 05-31-2017 at 10:11 AM.

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jean M For This Useful Post:

DMXX (05-31-2017),  JohnHowellsTyrfro (05-31-2017),  lgmayka (05-31-2017),  Maximilian (05-31-2017),  [email protected] (05-31-2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast