Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How accurate is 23andme's Ashkenazi Jewish category?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Métis
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA
    T2B-T152C

Canada England Scotland Germany Poland France

How accurate is 23andme's Ashkenazi Jewish category?

I only have a mere 0.2% Ashkenazi on my 23andme ethnicity estimate, which I previously regarded as just noise in the past as it hasn't shown up on any other test. A few things are making me question whether or not it is real... the first being that I've spent over a year now on this forum looking at various ethnicity estimates from various companies and various individuals and noticing that 23andme seems to be the best autosomal calculator. The second thing is that over this year or so I've also been working on my paper trail, gathering up every record I can find in my family, and talking to the family members I have which are still alive. My maternal line comes from Eastern Europe during a time when borders were constantly changing. Today, this place is within the boundaries of the Ukraine, but I believe it was Romania when these ancestors left and came to Canada. The paper trail on this line hits a wall with a person whose surname appears to be "Tabak" which apparently can be a Jewish surname. The combination of this location and this surname make me wonder if this tiny percentage might be real?

So, I'd like to pose the question to anyone else out there who has received an Ashkenazi Jewish percentage on 23andme: Do you think it was accurate?

Thank you
    Paper trail ancestry to the best of my knowledge:
    English (possibly containing some Welsh ancestry) 31.25%, Eastern European and Eastern German (Galicia, Poland) 25%, Scottish 17.96%, Scotch-Irish 12.5%, French 8.2%, Native American 1.95%, and Colonial American, 3.125%, which cannot be determined with complete certainty: there is Dutch (at least 1.36%) and some English. The rest could include Spanish, Norwegian, German, and French, but these percentages would be minuscule.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sktibo For This Useful Post:

selectivememri (09-27-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    celto-germanic
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z253 >Z6749.1
    mtDNA
    H

Scotland Cornwall Ireland United Kingdom United States of America Lorraine
    Hello, skitbo, I haven't tested with 23andme. You say they are the most accurate but I find the British+Irish category too vague and politically controversial so that is why I won't test with them. As far the AJ thing I noticed something strange on another anthropology forum. Everyone who posted their ancestry timeline showed a Jewish ancestor, no matter what race or ethnicity, which made me skeptical because 23andme is owned by AJ Jews. Hopefully, you can get more helpful responses from people who tested with 23andme as my observation may be wrong or the thread in question may be a stastical anomaly.

P.S. at 0.2 percent I would say it does not matter unless you suck at math.
    "Religion is something left over from the infancy of our intelligence it will fade as we adopt reason and science as our guidelines."--Bertrand Russell

"ah, yes, dear brutes-- but then we must also be ever vigilant against scientism since neolithic humans cannot do real science." --New Albion

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British/German/Dalmatian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    I-M253
    mtDNA
    K1a1b1a

United States of America United Kingdom Germany Croatia Split-Dalmatia
    Quote Originally Posted by NewAlbion View Post
    Everyone who posted their ancestry timeline showed a Jewish ancestor, no matter what race or ethnicity, which made me skeptical because 23andme is owned by AJ Jews.
    I'm just going to highlight this as an absolutely absurd thing to say.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to raschau For This Useful Post:

Erik (07-14-2017),  JMcB (07-14-2017),  Mike_G (07-14-2017),  Oleg (Rus) (10-01-2017),  sktibo (06-12-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex

Skitbo, everyone says 23andMe is the best when it comes to detecting real AJ ancestry. The key is to have AJ matches, do you have any there? Many companies now show some AJ% even for people who did not show any, or very little, when they tested with 23andMe. 23andMe have their own AJ samples, which is made up of many, and they compare you to those in their sample. Other companies detect affinity, perhaps based on some shared ancestry with AJ, but it does not necessarily mean those showing a % have real AJ ancestry. FTDNA has this category, as well as Sephardic Jewish now. Many who score SJ ancestry do not really have it, but do share a lot of similarity to their sample. According to the opinion of many people, 23andMe is the most accurate detector of AJ ancestry.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Luis For This Useful Post:

Cascio (12-04-2018),  Cinnamon orange (06-12-2017),  Don Felipe (06-12-2017),  Oleg (Rus) (10-01-2017),  sktibo (06-12-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Métis
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA
    T2B-T152C

Quote Originally Posted by Luis View Post
    Skitbo, everyone says 23andMe is the best when it comes to detecting real AJ ancestry. The key is to have AJ matches, do you have any there? Many companies now show some AJ% even for people who did not show any, or very little, when they tested with 23andMe. 23andMe have their own AJ samples, which is made up of many, and they compare you to those in their sample. Other companies detect affinity, perhaps based on some shared ancestry with AJ, but it does not necessarily mean those showing a % have real AJ ancestry. FTDNA has this category, as well as Sephardic Jewish now. Many who score SJ ancestry do not really have it, but do share a lot of similarity to their sample. According to the opinion of many people, 23andMe is the most accurate detector of AJ ancestry.
    I've identified one match so far with some overlapping surnames who is half Ashkenazi, and my tiny AJ segment matches one of his also identified as AJ. I sent a message to this individual and hopefully I'll hear back.
    thanks very much for your input, I'll start trying to see if i can find some more matches.
    English (possibly containing some Welsh ancestry) 31.25%, Eastern European and Eastern German (Galicia, Poland) 25%, Scottish 17.96%, Scotch-Irish 12.5%, French 8.2%, Native American 1.95%, and Colonial American, 3.125%, which cannot be determined with complete certainty: there is Dutch (at least 1.36%) and some English. The rest could include Spanish, Norwegian, German, and French, but these percentages would be minuscule.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    BY198
    mtDNA
    T1a1

Ireland Scotland Flanders Iceland Russian Federation
    I am 0.1% and can find no paper trail link. Yes, Tabak is an Askenazim name.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to GogMagog For This Useful Post:

sktibo (06-12-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

Do you show Jewish matches at that location on 23andme or gedmatch? With a small percentage you may be hitting the cutoff for matches. Triangulation helps.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cinnamon orange For This Useful Post:

sktibo (06-12-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Métis
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA
    T2B-T152C

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamon orange View Post
    Do you show Jewish matches at that location on 23andme or gedmatch? With a small percentage you may be hitting the cutoff for matches. Triangulation helps.
    23andme. hopefully I'll be able to locate some more matches and get their gedmatch numbers. Cheers!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to sktibo For This Useful Post:

Cinnamon orange (06-12-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Métis
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA
    T2B-T152C

Quote Originally Posted by GogMagog View Post
    I am 0.1% and can find no paper trail link. Yes, Tabak is an Askenazim name.
    Thank you, so do you think it is noise then in your case?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    United States
    Y-DNA
    R-U152
    mtDNA
    HV0

Poland Israel France United Kingdom Germany
    I agree. It is sometimes noise, not to mention people also getting Yakut at 0.1. Crazy thing to say that because the CEO happens to be Ashkenazi they just insert small amounts to skew results, I feel like Albion might be one of the people who think Jews control the world. Absurdity at its best. Okay im done. I feel like this could go off the rails if this is further discussed so I won't say anything else.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MindHive For This Useful Post:

sktibo (06-12-2017)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast