Thread: Need help understanding my Levantine/Mediterranean ancestry

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Australian
    mtDNA (M)
    T2B4

Need help understanding my Levantine/Mediterranean ancestry

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me to understand my ancestry. I have always identified as half Palestinian Christian and half British by ancestry although I am Australian. However, after taking a DNA test with ancestry I was assigned with 25% Italy/Greece and my mum also did the same test and was assigned none. This surprised me as already a large portion of my DNA was attributable to my dad, so in effect, it seems that around 65% of my DNA is from my dad. I then uploaded my raw DNA to FTDNA and was assigned no Italy/Greece but instead was assigned Iberian/Sephardic. My mum then did the same and received no Iberian or Sephardic. Following this, I uploaded my raw DNA to MyHeritage and received both Italian and Iberian totaling 30%. I guess I am wondering if anyone can tell me if it is possible for me to inherit 65% of my father's DNA and which test I should consider accurate in terms of the Italian/Iberian/Sephardic.

My other question revolves around Jewish ancestry. My mother was assigned no Jewish ancestry in any of her tests so I am assuming that my Jewish ancestry also comes from my father. As mentioned, I received 8% Sephardic from FTDNA; 2% European Jewish from Ancestry DNA; and 4% Ashkenazi Jewish from MyHeritage. I guess I am wondering if all or any of these results are accurate or am I being assigned Jewish diaspora DNA due to it being close to Palestinian DNA? According to my dad, his father's side are originally from Nablus and are of Samaritan origin; and his mother's side is from Bethlehem and the mother's family are known for and claim to have been in Bethlehem for the past 1500 years. The story goes that prior to this they were Christians living in Najran, Saudi Arabia but they escaped to Bethlehem due to being attacked by a Jewish King. I have also attached a picture of my oracle results in Gedmatch in case anyone can provide insight on these results. I am very confused as three oracles are predicting that I have 0.000 distance from certain Jewish populations. In terms of my Middle Eastern ancestry, the oracle is almost exclusively predicting Jewish ancestry of almost every kind of Jewish diaspora population that I have heard of. I guess I'd like to know if I do have Jewish ancestry or not. Thanks in advance for any responses, I will also put my various ancestry results below for anyone that may be able to help me understand the discrepancy between the various tests.

Edit: Apparently I am not allowed to post a link to my oracle results.

My Ancestry DNA results:

Italy/Greece 25%
    Middle East 21%
    Caucasus 13%
    Ireland 17%
    Great Britain 11%
    Scandinavia 6%
    Europe West 5%
    European Jewish 2%

My FTDNA results:

Middle Eastern 40%
    British Isles 29%
    Scandinavia 14%
    Southern Europe 2%
    Iberia 8%
    Sephardic 8%

My MyHeritage results:

Irish, Scottish and Welsh 19%
    Italian 16.7%
    Iberian 13.8%
    Ashkenazi Jewish 4%
    Middle Eastern 19.4%
    Asia West 9.1%
    North Africa 1.6%

My mother's Ancestry DNA results:

Great Britain 83%
    Europe West 11%
    Ireland 3%
    Scandinavia 2%
    Finland/Northwest Russia 1%
    Last edited by Rach_27; 06-14-2017 at 01:54 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rach_27 For This Useful Post:

evon (06-17-2017),  kikkk (06-14-2017),  palamede (06-15-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American

United States of America Italy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rach_27 View Post
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me to understand my ancestry. I have always identified as half Palestinian Christian and half British by ancestry although I am Australian. However, after taking a DNA test with ancestry I was assigned with 25% Italy/Greece and my mum also did the same test and was assigned none. This surprised me as already a large portion of my DNA was attributable to my dad, so in effect, it seems that around 65% of my DNA is from my dad. I then uploaded my raw DNA to FTDNA and was assigned no Italy/Greece but instead was assigned Iberian/Sephardic. My mum then did the same and received no Iberian or Sephardic. Following this, I uploaded my raw DNA to MyHeritage and received both Italian and Iberian totaling 30%. I guess I am wondering if anyone can tell me if it is possible for me to inherit 65% of my father's DNA and which test I should consider accurate in terms of the Italian/Iberian/Sephardic.

My other question revolves around Jewish ancestry. My mother was assigned no Jewish ancestry in any of her tests so I am assuming that my Jewish ancestry also comes from my father. As mentioned, I received 8% Sephardic from FTDNA; 2% European Jewish from Ancestry DNA; and 4% Ashkenazi Jewish from MyHeritage. I guess I am wondering if all or any of these results are accurate or am I being assigned Jewish diaspora DNA due to it being close to Palestinian DNA? According to my dad, his father's side are originally from Nablus and are of Samaritan origin; and his mother's side is from Bethlehem and the mother's family are known for and claim to have been in Bethlehem for the past 1500 years. The story goes that prior to this they were Christians living in Najran, Saudi Arabia but they escaped to Bethlehem due to being attacked by a Jewish King. I have also attached a picture of my oracle results in Gedmatch in case anyone can provide insight on these results. I am very confused as three oracles are predicting that I have 0.000 distance from certain Jewish populations. In terms of my Middle Eastern ancestry, the oracle is almost exclusively predicting Jewish ancestry of almost every kind of Jewish diaspora population that I have heard of. I guess I'd like to know if I do have Jewish ancestry or not. Thanks in advance for any responses, I will also put my various ancestry results below for anyone that may be able to help me understand the discrepancy between the various tests.

My Ancestry DNA results:

Italy/Greece 25%
    Middle East 21%
    Caucasus 13%
    Ireland 17%
    Great Britain 11%
    Scandinavia 6%
    Europe West 5%
    European Jewish 2%

My FTDNA results:

Middle Eastern 40%
    British Isles 29%
    Scandinavia 14%
    Southern Europe 2%
    Iberia 8%
    Sephardic 8%

My MyHeritage results:

Italian 16.7%
    Iberian 13.8%
    Ashkenazi Jewish 4%
    Middle Eastern 19.4%
    Asia West 9.1%
    North Africa 1.6%

Great Britain 83%
    Europe West 11%
    Ireland 3%
    Scandinavia 2%
    The best way to know if you have actual Jewish ancestry is to see if you have genetic cousins who are fully Jewish. Otherwise, though, I think you just seem close to certain Jewish populations because you are a mix of Levantine and European, not because of any actual Jewish ancestry.

Your Italy/Greece score on AncestryDNA is quite high, though, and perhaps is worth investigating further. Your next step should be uploading your results to Gedmatch.com if you want to learn more.

(Incidentally, those wildly inaccurate MyHeritage results go to show just how unreliable that service is at present).

Edit: Nevermind about Gedmatch, I see you've already uploaded.
    Last edited by fished; 06-14-2017 at 02:14 AM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Australian
    mtDNA (M)
    T2B4

Quote Originally Posted by fished View Post
    The best way to know if you have actual Jewish ancestry is to see if you have genetic cousins who are fully Jewish.
    Thanks for your response. All of my genetic cousins on Ancestry DNA that show Middle Eastern ancestry and that I attribute to my dad's side also each show European Jewish and Italian/Greek, although, none of them are fully European Jewish.

Registered Users

I didn't think any of the testing companies(Ancestry DNA,23andMe,etc)tested for Sephardic Jewish? Am I Wrong?
    Can you test for Sephardic on Gedmatch?
    If so,which programme?
    Anyone?

Registered Users

My Ancestry DNA results:

Italy/Greece 25%
    Middle East 21%
    Caucasus 13%
    Ireland 17%
    Great Britain 11%
    Scandinavia 6%
    Europe West 5%
    European Jewish 2%

My FTDNA results:

Middle Eastern 40%
    British Isles 29%
    Scandinavia 14%
    Southern Europe 2%
    Iberia 8%
    Sephardic 8%

My MyHeritage results:

Italian 16.7%
    Iberian 13.8%
    Ashkenazi Jewish 4%
    Middle Eastern 19.4%
    Asia West 9.1%
    North Africa 1.6%

Great Britain 83%
    Europe West 11%
    Ireland 3%
    Scandinavia 2%
    Hmm.. first of all which parent is British? And which parent is Palestinian Christian?
    By the fact the Italian,Iberian,Separdic,Ashkenazi is not coming up on your mums tests I would say it's all mathematically coming from Your dads side you can't inherit more than 50% from him.
    Also take into account according to AncestryDNA most people with Middle East DNA ethnicity(especially people from the levant) the next most popular admix DNA ethinicity most commonly found is Italian/Greek.. so?
    Last edited by Claudio; 06-15-2017 at 10:26 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Australian
    mtDNA (M)
    T2B4

Quote Originally Posted by Claudio View Post
    Hmm.. first of all which parent is British? And which parent is Palestinian Christian?
    By the fact the Italian,Iberian,Separdic,Ashkenazi is not coming up on your mums tests I would say it's all mathematically coming from Your dads side you can't inherit more than 50% from him.
    Also take into account according to AncestryDNA most people with Middle East DNA ethnicity(especially people from the levant) the next most popular admix DNA ethinicity most commonly found is Italian/Greek.. so?
    My mum has mainly British ancestry. I also posted her results in my original post if that helps. My dad's side is Christian Palestinian. So, you mean, I can't inherit more than 50% of my dad's DNA? That is very strange, as going by my ancestry results and my mum's; it would appear that I have inherited approx 65% of my dad's DNA. I didn't know that people from the Levant often had Italian/Greek but it makes sense going by history. Thanks

Registered Users

My mum has mainly British ancestry. I also posted her results in my original post if that helps. My dad's side is Christian Palestinian. So, you mean, I can't inherit more than 50% of my dad's DNA? That is very strange, as going by my ancestry results and my mum's; it would appear that I have inherited approx 65% of my dad's DNA. I didn't know that people from the Levant often had Italian/Greek but it makes sense going by history. Thanks
    I think on the AncestryDNA results a small amount of your italy Greece is from your fathers side[might be Sephardic in reality]and that the rest is your mothers but should of been assigned as European West.
    I would say your FTDNA Results look most correct percentage wise.
    there is always 23andMe? lol

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Australian
    mtDNA (M)
    T2B4

I think on the AncestryDNA results a small amount of your italy Greece is from your fathers side[might be Sephardic in reality]and that the rest is your mothers but should of been assigned as European West.
    I would say your FTDNA Results look most correct percentage wise.
    there is always 23andMe? lol
    Hmm, my mum also uploaded her raw DNA to FTDNA and she received no Iberian or Sephardic, so again with that test, too much of my DNA is attributable to my dad. Yep, I hope to eventually try 23andMe lol.

Registered Users

Hmm, my mum also uploaded her raw DNA to FTDNA and she received no Iberian or Sephardic, so again with that test, too much of my DNA is attributable to my dad. Yep, I hope to eventually try 23andMe lol.
    I don't know?
    FDNA Could be nearer to the truth..
    if 40% middle east is your dad plus the separdic jewish(which contains middle east)
    and then count the iberian and southern europe as your mums but really miscalculated by AncestryDNA and should be West european as they overlap and british sometime contains iberian and southern europe being europe.
    still is frustrating though.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Australian
    mtDNA (M)
    T2B4

I don't know?
    FDNA Could be nearer to the truth..
    if 40% middle east is your dad plus the separdic jewish(which contains middle east)
    and then count the iberian and southern europe as your mums but really miscalculated by AncestryDNA and should be West european as they overlap and british sometime contains iberian and southern europe being europe.
    still is frustrating though.
    Ah I see what you mean about the DNA overlap. Sounds like that could be it, thanks! I've created another thread about my strange oracle results too. Really hoping to also find out more about that.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast