Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uploading AncestryDNA to FTDNA

Registered Users
    Sex

Turkey Ottoman Empire Albania Ottoman Empire 2 Bosnia and Herzegovina Lazistan

Uploading AncestryDNA to FTDNA

Do you think that uploading your DNA results to FTDNA will be accurate, or do you think that it is kind of a rip off? When I did it I noticed a lot of difference in the two tests, or could this just be due to how the two companies cut the lines of different countries? For example the balkans in Ancestry is included in Italy/Greece, but FTDNA has a tab that is for Southeastern Europe. Do you think you lose a lot of SNP during the dna transfer, or should it be pretty accurate.

Registered Users
    Sex

If you're looking at for ethnicity/MyOrigins then don't bother. If you want it for family finder/genealogy purposes then it's a great deal.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mlcarson For This Useful Post:

Mike_G (06-18-2017),  wombatofthenorth (07-27-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by mlcarson View Post
    If you're looking at for ethnicity/MyOrigins then don't bother. If you want it for family finder/genealogy purposes then it's a great deal.
    If you do it for ethnicity does it cause problems, or do you think it is any less accurate if you upload it for my origins?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ger.-Brit.-Catalan-more
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-YP619*
    mtDNA (M)
    H1bg

United Kingdom Germany Bayern Catalonia France Ireland Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by tahir0010 View Post
    If you do it for ethnicity does it cause problems, or do you think it is any less accurate if you upload it for my origins?
    If you do an upload, you're going to get both anyway. That is, you may very well get a whole bunch of new matches -- how many (or any) varies pretty widely -- and you'll get MyOrigins. I happen to think that the MyOrigins analysis is still about the worst of the major DNA testing companies, but it won't cause problems.

In fact, there's no way to know in advance how good an analysis it will end up being for you. It's as they say with car commercials, your mileage may vary.
    Besides British-German-Catalan, ancestry includes smaller amounts of French, Irish, Swiss, Choctaw & another NA tribe, possibly Catawba. Avatar picture is: my father, his father, & his father's father; baby is my eldest brother.

GB

6. The Following User Says Thank You to geebee For This Useful Post:

Mike_G (06-18-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by geebee View Post
    If you do an upload, you're going to get both anyway. That is, you may very well get a whole bunch of new matches -- how many (or any) varies pretty widely -- and you'll get MyOrigins. I happen to think that the MyOrigins analysis is still about the worst of the major DNA testing companies, but it won't cause problems.

In fact, there's no way to know in advance how good an analysis it will end up being for you. It's as they say with car commercials, your mileage may vary.
    In your opinion what makes myorigins worst? It did a better job of picking up my Bosnian, and Asian Minor then Ancestry did.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V13
    mtDNA (M)
    H24a1

Ireland Germany Cornwall Scotland Switzerland Netherlands
    Have any of you experienced an issue uploading AncestryDNA raw data to Family Tree?

I receive this error:
    The specified file 'AncestryDNA.txt' could not be uploaded. The file is an unsupported version or in a corrupt/malformed format. Please place an order for Family Finder or download the file and try again.

I've tried the zipped ancestry folder, the unzipped folder and the .txt file from two different raw DNA downloads. I've reviewed the instructions just in case I was losing my mind...it's pretty basic.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Australian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L513>Z18060
    mtDNA (M)
    U4b3

Australia Scotland England Latvia Cornwall
    Quote Originally Posted by geebee View Post
    If you do an upload, you're going to get both anyway.
    Plus -- and I'm surprised you of all people did not mention this, geebee -- you get the chromosome browser that AncestryDNA denies its punters. Uploading AncestryDNA data to FTDNA is a very good deal if your main interest is in matching when you consider there is no ongoing subscription cost for FF.
    Genealogy on 16 great great grandparents:
    Scottish 37.5%
    English 25.0%
    Latvian 25.0%
    Cornish 12.5%

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

Macedonia
    Quote Originally Posted by greerpalmer View Post
    Have any of you experienced an issue uploading AncestryDNA raw data to Family Tree?

I receive this error:
    The specified file 'AncestryDNA.txt' could not be uploaded. The file is an unsupported version or in a corrupt/malformed format. Please place an order for Family Finder or download the file and try again.

I've tried the zipped ancestry folder, the unzipped folder and the .txt file from two different raw DNA downloads. I've reviewed the instructions just in case I was losing my mind...it's pretty basic.
    i had a similar problem, try creating a new ftdna login and then try uploading again, thats what resolved the issue for me.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V13
    mtDNA (M)
    H24a1

Ireland Germany Cornwall Scotland Switzerland Netherlands
    So strange. I started a new login and tried...no luck.

Sex

I get the same problem and tried the same. I did it for myself and it worked ok with the zip file. But cannot do it for my husband. Did you find out why?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast