Thread: Percentage of regional ancestry?

Sex

Percentage of regional ancestry?

I just received my results from National Geographic's Geno 2.0 DNA test, which of course has opened the door to many more questions about my ancestral history. What percentage of a certain ethnicity is considered significant? For example, I have always known my family history to be Ashkenazi Jewish, but I was only ranked 65% of Jewish Diaspora ethnicity. Is 65% significant in the world of genetics? Knowing what I do about my family history, I would have expected a higher number.

Consequently, since I'm female and am only able to test my maternal line, I am now wondering if this number is skewed due to Jewish men picking up Europeans as they migrated through Europe?? Would love to hear the thoughts from those who may have more knowledge on the subject than I do

2. The Following User Says Thank You to leahrhh For This Useful Post:

[email protected] (08-22-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    L-SK1414
    mtDNA (M)
    H6a1a8

East Anglia England European Union
    One point that I can explain for you. That "maternal line" represents only one narrow line of descent - from mother, her mother, her mother, and so on. It does NOT represent your mother's half of your entire ancestry. It is a haplogroup, a convenient genetic marker for that narrow and direct maternal line only.

For example, I'm English. DNA tests for ancestry usually get me as, or near to 100% European, mainly NW European. However, my mtDNA (maternal line) traces back 5,000 years ago to the Pontic and Caspian Steppes. My Y-DNA (paternal line) traces back less than 2000 years ago to the general region of Iran. But I'm very English, with English recorded ancestry.

Therefore the 65% Ashkenazi ancestry comes from either or both of your parents, and may even have little or nothing to do with that "maternal" line.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to A Norfolk L-M20 For This Useful Post:

Amerijoe (06-20-2017),  JMcB (06-20-2017),  leahrhh (06-21-2017),  [email protected] (08-22-2017),  spruithean (08-22-2017)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z253>BY93500
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by leahrhh View Post
    I just received my results from National Geographic's Geno 2.0 DNA test, which of course has opened the door to many more questions about my ancestral history. What percentage of a certain ethnicity is considered significant? For example, I have always known my family history to be Ashkenazi Jewish, but I was only ranked 65% of Jewish Diaspora ethnicity. Is 65% significant in the world of genetics? Knowing what I do about my family history, I would have expected a higher number.

Consequently, since I'm female and am only able to test my maternal line, I am now wondering if this number is skewed due to Jewish men picking up Europeans as they migrated through Europe?? Would love to hear the thoughts from those who may have more knowledge on the subject than I do
    65% Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry is very significant. Do you show any Sephardic Jewish, which is likely to show up as Moroccan Jewish or something similar. Add that to your 65% for total Jewish genetic heritage.

My wife gets 50% Ashkenazi, plus a few extra points of Sephardic ancestry, as well.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

A Norfolk L-M20 (06-21-2017),  Agamemnon (09-09-2017),  JMcB (06-21-2017),  leahrhh (06-21-2017),  [email protected] (08-22-2017)

Sex

Hmm.. unsure whether I am able to add Sephardic - I do have 13% Southwestern Europe, which they locate as purely Spain/Portugal. I don't think that Geno 2.0 has a Sephardic category, but I'm not sure if I can claim Sephardism just from that

8. The Following User Says Thank You to leahrhh For This Useful Post:

[email protected] (08-22-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European blend
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1a1 L664/YP5623
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b2b2/G228A

United States of America European Union Norway United Kingdom Germany Imperial
    My Italian percentages at FTDNA (7%) and Ancestry (1%) are a puzzlement. If I just take it at face value, and reject NPE, then it could be from my maternal grandfather's line, who was born in Steyr, Austria. That is/was a metal/gunsmith focal point and attracted skilled workers from around the Austria-Hungary empire. I mean, one of his (unknown to me) grandparents could have been of Italian origins.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northern English
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    Brother I2-M26 I2a1a
    mtDNA (M)
    H4a1a1a

Why not download your results upload to GEDmatch and look at their J test which is designed for Jewish populations?
    Image “Westray wifie” replica of Neolithic figurine Hidden Content
    Out of 64 pre 1800 births 45% Cheshire, 1% Irish (or Scottish), 25% south Derbyshire, 13% Burton on Trent area (where 4 counties within 10 miles), 7% Shropshire, 1% Staffs, 8% Lancs. So far all British Isles despite what some testing companies say.