I1 Z140+ A21912+
    mtDNA (M)
    V
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b L21+ L371+
    mtDNA (P)
    J1c2l

Wales England Cornwall Scotland Ireland Normandie
    Any people of Cornish or Breton descent got the new Ancestry update? My Welsh update is excellent and I'd be interested to see how well the new Genetic Communities reflect your known ancestry.
    Living DNA's former Cautious mode:
    Wales-related ancestry: 86.8%
    Cornwall: 8%
    North England-related ancestry: 5.2%
    Y line: Peak District, England. Big Y match: Scania, Sweden; TMRCA 1,250 ybp (YFull);
    mtDNA: traces to Glamorgan, Wales
    Mother's Y: traces to Llanvair Discoed, Wales

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JonikW For This Useful Post:

msmarjoribanks (06-25-2019),  rms2 (06-30-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Canadian

Canada Netherlands United Kingdom Cornwall Ireland France
    I can't really comment on the AncestryDNA update for those of Cornish or Breton descent, however thanks to autosomal DNA I'm actually making progress on my Cornish part of the tree, looks like they came from the Lizard Peninsula. Thankfully this part of my tree is relatively recent and not as diluted as other parts of my tree.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spruithean For This Useful Post:

Cunobelinus_T (01-29-2020),  rms2 (09-22-2019),  Saetro (09-25-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Australian
    Y-DNA (P)
    T-P322 (T1a2b1)
    mtDNA (M)
    H6a1

Australia Cornwall England Scotland Germany Poland
    Quote Originally Posted by spruithean View Post
    I can't really comment on the AncestryDNA update for those of Cornish or Breton descent, however thanks to autosomal DNA I'm actually making progress on my Cornish part of the tree, looks like they came from the Lizard Peninsula. Thankfully this part of my tree is relatively recent and not as diluted as other parts of my tree.
    I have 3 lines from Penwith and Kerrier - mainly Redruth, Breage to Perranuthnoe, and Meneage - with a smattering of St Just.
    AncestryDNA is now showing me as part of a Kerrier subgroup (which overlaps into Perranuthnoe and also Redruth).
    That works really well for me.
    Many people are not confident enough to post a tree or too concerned about privacy to make one viewable.
    Previously there has been no point in contacting them if I had insufficient evidence to bother doing so.
    At least if they are shown as also being in the Kerrier group, I can mention that commonality now.
    (I realise that some have unknown ancestry, but many more do know and expect their involvement to be purely extractive.
    They risk missing out on so much as well as accepting all of those false leads in bad trees.)

The confusing thing is that in the broader area maps, they include the ancestors that connect us named as NOT Cornish at all, but Irish-Scottish-Welsh, the map of which specifically EXCLUDES Wales as well as Cornwall!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Saetro For This Useful Post:

rms2 (09-28-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland
    One of my 7th great grandfathers was a Breton, Dr. Paul Micou.

Not sure if any of his autosomal dna is still showing up in me, although I seem to recall at least one match at Ancestry who shares him with me as mrca.

He is buried about 20 or 30 minutes from where I currently live. I've been there and photographed the spot.

Paul Micou tombstone.jpg Paul Micou_ Huguenot memorial at the foot of his grave.jpg

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

JMcB (09-28-2019),  jstephan (10-04-2019),  Ruderico (09-30-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Canadian

Canada Netherlands United Kingdom Cornwall Ireland France
    Quote Originally Posted by Saetro View Post
    I have 3 lines from Penwith and Kerrier - mainly Redruth, Breage to Perranuthnoe, and Meneage - with a smattering of St Just.
    AncestryDNA is now showing me as part of a Kerrier subgroup (which overlaps into Perranuthnoe and also Redruth).
    That works really well for me.
    Many people are not confident enough to post a tree or too concerned about privacy to make one viewable.
    Previously there has been no point in contacting them if I had insufficient evidence to bother doing so.
    At least if they are shown as also being in the Kerrier group, I can mention that commonality now.
    (I realise that some have unknown ancestry, but many more do know and expect their involvement to be purely extractive.
    They risk missing out on so much as well as accepting all of those false leads in bad trees.)

The confusing thing is that in the broader area maps, they include the ancestors that connect us named as NOT Cornish at all, but Irish-Scottish-Welsh, the map of which specifically EXCLUDES Wales as well as Cornwall!
    My Cornish ancestors seem to be from Mawgan-in-Meneage, Porthleven, Helston, Landewednack and those sorts of areas, they eventually moved to Devon, and eventually toward London and finally Canada. So far one of the Cornish lineages seems to extend back to the 1650s, which is probably the farthest I've gotten on anything from my paternal side of the tree. I don't know what my AncestryDNA results would look like, but if the Gedmatch calculators are any hint (same with my matches) I would probably pick up some Cornish on the maps. Some of the first names of these ancestors are certainly unique!

Quote Originally Posted by rms2 View Post

Not sure if any of his autosomal dna is still showing up in me, although I seem to recall at least one match at Ancestry who shares him with me as mrca.

He is buried about 20 or 30 minutes from where I currently live. I've been there and photographed the spot.

Paul Micou tombstone.jpg Paul Micou_ Huguenot memorial at the foot of his grave.jpg
    Nice pictures! Was he a medical doctor in the US?
    Last edited by spruithean; 09-30-2019 at 06:57 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to spruithean For This Useful Post:

rms2 (10-12-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland
    . . .
    Nice pictures! Was he a medical doctor in the US?
    Yes and no. Yes, he was a medical doctor in Virginia, but it was a British colony for the entirety of his life. He owned a large estate along the Rappahannock River in Essex County.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-P311
    mtDNA (M)
    H10

France Bretagne France Bretagne Kroaz Du
    Quote Originally Posted by rms2 View Post

Are you sure he was 100% Breton?
    There is no "Micou" bornt between 1891 and 1915 in Nantes region. Only 3 people in Finistère département but I doubt they are completely native. Micou looks like a typical Vendéen or Poitevin surname according to Geopatronyme - Micou
    Attached Images Attached Images

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Youenn For This Useful Post:

JMcB (10-12-2019),  jstephan (10-09-2019),  rms2 (10-12-2019),  sktibo (10-08-2019)

Silver Class Member
    Sex
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA (M)
    T2B-T152C

England Scotland Poland Germany Canada Quebec Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
    Are you sure he was 100% Breton?
    There is no "Micou" bornt between 1891 and 1915 in Nantes region. Only 3 people in Finistère département but I doubt they are completely native. Micou looks like a typical Vendéen or Poitevin surname according to Geopatronyme - Micou
    Thank you for the link to that site for French surnames

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sktibo For This Useful Post:

JMcB (10-12-2019),  jstephan (10-09-2019),  Youenn (10-08-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Australian
    Y-DNA (P)
    T-P322 (T1a2b1)
    mtDNA (M)
    H6a1

My Cornish ancestors seem to be from Mawgan-in-Meneage, Porthleven, Helston, Landewednack and those sorts of areas, they eventually moved to Devon, and eventually toward London and finally Canada. So far one of the Cornish lineages seems to extend back to the 1650s, which is probably the farthest I've gotten on anything from my paternal side of the tree. I don't know what my AncestryDNA results would look like, but if the Gedmatch calculators are any hint (same with my matches) I would probably pick up some Cornish on the maps. Some of the first names of these ancestors are certainly unique!
    If you are back to the 1650s maybe you can stretch things and connect with the pedigrees in the Visitations of Cornwall?
    https://ukga.org/england/Cornwall/visitations/ has a version with some lines updated from around 1620 to later.
    Some pedigrees are doubtful. Don't know whether this was during the audits by the College of Arms, or due to the additions by Vivian beyond 1620 later.
    My lines that appear can be verified to some degree from appearing in more than one place in that work, and also from some other sources.
    Some apparent DNA verification for me for one or two of those lines also. (But not certain.)
    Last edited by Saetro; 10-09-2019 at 12:11 AM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Saetro For This Useful Post:

Cunobelinus_T (01-29-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Australian
    Y-DNA (P)
    T-P322 (T1a2b1)
    mtDNA (M)
    H6a1

My Cornish ancestors seem to be from Mawgan-in-Meneage, Porthleven, Helston, Landewednack and those sorts of areas, they eventually moved to Devon, and eventually toward London and finally Canada. .... Some of the first names of these ancestors are certainly unique!
    I have Enstance, which some have recorded as a mis-transcription of Eustace, but it is actually a version of Anastasia. That took a few years to sort out.
    I also have Loveday, which is not unique to Cornwall, but occurs also in parts of England.
    A loveday was a day one had to work for the man - the landlord or lord of the manor - for nothing, either as payment in part for farming land, or just out of duty. Not quite as romantic as it first looks.
    But it does hammer the point that the father was not around at the birth, or was if it occurred in the early hours of the morning, but had to work that day anyway.
    There are some rare biblical names too, but they are not particularly regional.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast