Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA (M)
    T2B-T152C

England Scotland Poland Germany Canada Quebec Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Amerijoe View Post
    Had this private admixture done by Dienekes Pontikos, his public admixture Dodecad is on Gedmatch. I thought you may be interested because of his deeper breakdown of regions. Haven't assigned the breakdown to Livingdna regions, maybe some local members can help with the placement. Someone who lives there is usually superior to a map. To me all these locations are could be or maybe, but it looks good. Tell me what you think. Joe

Attachment 17211
    Hi Joe,
    I'm not completely sure what this is? Is this the results of a single individual? is it you? if not who are they and where are they from? Thanks!

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    more "celtic"
    Nationality
    french (for the State)
    Y-DNA (P)
    Y-R1b-L21/S145 *conf
    mtDNA (M)
    H3c

Quote Originally Posted by avalon View Post
    A bit off topic, but I noticed that sgdavies, who like you has a lot of South Wales ancestry, also scored a trace amount of Basque.

It's very speculative, but I agree with you that this trace amount could well be something very old in South Wales, possibly some sort of remnant from the Neolithic and from before the massive Bell Beaker arrival.

I've always fancied that the Silures that Tacitus spoke of may have been some sort of remnant Neolithic population that held out in relative isolation for a long time. Who knows, ancientDNA may well tell us one day!
    I 'd not be surprised if this "basque" was a mix of specific Neolithic farmers (more Cardial than Danubian pre-LBK) and specific WHG inheritage remained strong among today Basques but more common before the metal Ages? Some specific "atlantic stuff", pre-Celtic even pre-Ligurian or pre-any other wanderers of those times -

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to moesan For This Useful Post:

avalon (06-29-2017),  JohnHowellsTyrfro (06-28-2017),  JonikW (06-28-2017),  [email protected] (06-29-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Scot
    Nationality
    American Naturalized
    Y-DNA (P)
    YP6291 R1a1a1b2a2a*
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c23

United States of America Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by sktibo View Post
    Hi Joe,
    I'm not completely sure what this is? Is this the results of a single individual? is it you? if not who are they and where are they from? Thanks!

This is me based on the raw data from 23andMe. It does add credence to my Livingdna results on a regional basis at least halfway, so to speak. The Welsh mixtures were interesting considering a Jones for an ancestor also having a forename with Welsh affinity.

Passing the portrait of my composite Dad, I noticed a slight smile, upon further study discovered a small battle axe leaning against a wall now in the painting. Rush over to Livingdna and low and behold a wee bit of Scandinavian (4.6%) has been added to my results. Hopefully it's enough to call myself a Scandinavian Kurd. Gotta love DNA!

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Amerijoe For This Useful Post:

JohnHowellsTyrfro (06-29-2017),  JonikW (06-28-2017),  [email protected] (06-29-2017)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North Sea/Irish Sea
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1 Z140+ A21912+
    mtDNA (M)
    V
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b L21+ L371+
    mtDNA (P)
    J1c2l

Wales England Cornwall Scotland Ireland Normandie
    Quote Originally Posted by moesan View Post
    I 'd not be surprised if this "basque" was a mix of specific Neolithic farmers (more Cardial than Danubian pre-LBK) and specific WHG inheritage remained strong among today Basques but more common before the metal Ages? Some specific "atlantic stuff", pre-Celtic even pre-Ligurian or pre-any other wanderers of those times -
    Are you interested in doing the LivingDNA test, even if illegally?! It would be interesting to see your Cornwall score. I'm not advocating breaking French law of course, just asking.
    Last edited by JonikW; 06-28-2017 at 10:46 PM.
    Living DNA's former Cautious mode:
    Wales-related ancestry: 86.8%
    Cornwall: 8%
    North England-related ancestry: 5.2%
    Y line: Peak District, England. Big Y match: Scania, Sweden; TMRCA 1,250 ybp (YFull);
    mtDNA: traces to Glamorgan, Wales
    Mother's Y: traces to Llanvair Discoed, Wales

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JonikW For This Useful Post:

[email protected] (06-29-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    more "celtic"
    Nationality
    french (for the State)
    Y-DNA (P)
    Y-R1b-L21/S145 *conf
    mtDNA (M)
    H3c

Quote Originally Posted by JonikW View Post
    Are you interested in doing the LivingDNA test, even if illegally?! It would be interesting to see your Cornwall score. I'm not advocating breaking French law of course, just asking.
    It depends on the cost of it: I'm rather short for money to date (a new car to buy, even if second hand) - I had a complete test by Britain DNA but I don' t think they shares their wok with other companies. Concerning french law I don't care!
    by the way I'm not pure Breton, but only 7/16 (7/16 ╬le-de-France, 1/16 Normand, 1/16 Nth FrancheComtÚ (a dragon of Napoleaon the 1st, lost in Brittany around 1800!)

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to moesan For This Useful Post:

JohnHowellsTyrfro (06-29-2017),  JonikW (06-29-2017),  [email protected] (06-29-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    U106 Z326 R-BY27310
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c1b2a

United Kingdom Wales
    This is me based on the raw data from 23andMe. It does add credence to my Livingdna results on a regional basis at least halfway, so to speak. The Welsh mixtures were interesting considering a Jones for an ancestor also having a forename with Welsh affinity.

Passing the portrait of my composite Dad, I noticed a slight smile, upon further study discovered a small battle axe leaning against a wall now in the painting. Rush over to Livingdna and low and behold a wee bit of Scandinavian (4.6%) has been added to my results. Hopefully it's enough to call myself a Scandinavian Kurd. Gotta love DNA!
    Hey Joe, I think my Jones were from North Wales from an American Family Finder match, maybe we are related, Jones being a rare name in these parts. John

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JohnHowellsTyrfro For This Useful Post:

Amerijoe (06-29-2017),  JonikW (06-29-2017),  [email protected] (06-29-2017)

Registered Users
    Nationality
    British

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHowellsTyrfro View Post
    Gwynned and Dyfed are North West and West Wales respectively. Gwynned includes Snowdonia.
    I suppose you could call them maybe the most "Welsh" parts of Wales. I may have some ancestry from Anglesey, or at least that general area. Some people from these areas did move to South and East Wales though, during the industrial revolution. John
    Sorry for off topic but if you watch the series "Who do you think you are"? there was an episode last winter that featured the actor/comedian Greg Davies. Fascinating story about his great grandfather, I believe, who due to some sort of family shame, left his family behind in Porthmadog, and ended up in the Valleys and started another family there!! This was late 1800s I think.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to avalon For This Useful Post:

JohnHowellsTyrfro (06-29-2017),  JonikW (06-29-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Scot
    Nationality
    American Naturalized
    Y-DNA (P)
    YP6291 R1a1a1b2a2a*
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c23

United States of America Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnHowellsTyrfro View Post
    Hey Joe, I think my Jones were from North Wales from an American Family Finder match, maybe we are related, Jones being a rare name in these parts. John
    I would enjoy nothing more than being relatives, but I think the Welsh which shows up in Livingdna and some admixtures is considerably in the past, but there's always hope. It's interesting how Dienekes was able to pull the Welsh with such refinement in my admixture analysis. The caveat being his analysis is no better or worst than any of the available testing companies. They are all interpretive based on each developer's algorithms, a mix of science and conjecture.

Since the beginning of my Dad search, one thing is quite apparent. Results are updated with populations added, others deleted and others being more closely defined. This has being true of all testing companies and most say future will hold more of the same. It's like playing the children's game, Pin The Tail On The Donkey, except this donkey keeps moving. When I say tongue in cheek, Scandinavian Kurd is to illustrate this point. I've also been an Arabian Scot, and Ashkenazi Irishman, a Middle Eastern Brit. You get my point. Doing do diligence, one can unwind some essence out of each comedic description, but only with some foundational knowledge. Extremely confusing for the newly initiated. With science forging ahead will be enter an era of enlightenment or continue to wallow in a sea of confusion?

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Amerijoe For This Useful Post:

avalon (06-29-2017),  Jessie (07-16-2017),  JohnHowellsTyrfro (06-29-2017),  JonikW (06-29-2017),  sktibo (06-29-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    U106 Z326 R-BY27310
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c1b2a

United Kingdom Wales
    I would enjoy nothing more than being relatives, but I think the Welsh which shows up in Livingdna and some admixtures is considerably in the past, but there's always hope. It's interesting how Dienekes was able to pull the Welsh with such refinement in my admixture analysis. The caveat being his analysis is no better or worst than any of the available testing companies. They are all interpretive based on each developer's algorithms, a mix of science and conjecture.

Since the beginning of my Dad search, one thing is quite apparent. Results are updated with populations added, others deleted and others being more closely defined. This has being true of all testing companies and most say future will hold more of the same. It's like playing the children's game, Pin The Tail On The Donkey, except this donkey keeps moving. When I say tongue in cheek, Scandinavian Kurd is to illustrate this point. I've also been an Arabian Scot, and Ashkenazi Irishman, a Middle Eastern Brit. You get my point. Doing do diligence, one can unwind some essence out of each comedic description, but only with some foundational knowledge. Extremely confusing for the newly initiated. With science forging ahead will be enter an era of enlightenment or continue to wallow in a sea of confusion?
    Don't worry Joe, I've been 40% Scandinavian, Ashkenazi, Finnish, Basque, Kalash and Native American etc. etc. on a regular basis. I'm sure they will unravel it all one day, but I don't know if I will still be around to see it. John

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JohnHowellsTyrfro For This Useful Post:

Amerijoe (06-29-2017),  Jessie (07-16-2017),  JonikW (06-29-2017),  sktibo (07-16-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    U106 Z326 R-BY27310
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c1b2a

United Kingdom Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by avalon View Post
    Sorry for off topic but if you watch the series "Who do you think you are"? there was an episode last winter that featured the actor/comedian Greg Davies. Fascinating story about his great grandfather, I believe, who due to some sort of family shame, left his family behind in Porthmadog, and ended up in the Valleys and started another family there!! This was late 1800s I think.
    Yes I think I recall it. I would love to know if my Jones' were from North Wales but the paper trail is so hard to follow. My Jones great grandparents were both Welsh speakers, but that's as far as I have tracked, they could have been from West Wales or even local to Monmouthshire.
    I suppose the South Wales valleys were like gold rush country in those days relatively speaking. John
    Last edited by JohnHowellsTyrfro; 06-30-2017 at 05:47 AM. Reason: typo

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JohnHowellsTyrfro For This Useful Post:

avalon (06-30-2017),  JMcB (06-29-2017),  JonikW (06-29-2017),  sktibo (06-29-2017)

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast