Thread: Jewish East Asians

Registered Users
    Sex

Jewish East Asians

Does anyone know why Ashkenazi Jews score small amounts of Yakut/East Asian on 23 and me? Is it related to the Khazars or is there a more recent admixture that took place in Russia/Ukraine?

Registered Users
    Sex

Anyone?
    Last edited by mrjohn; 06-25-2017 at 09:14 AM.

The existence of some eastern Eurasian haplotypes in eastern Ashkenazi Jews supports an East Asian genetic contribution, likely from Chinese. Further evidence indicates that this connection can be attributed to a gene flow event that occurred less than 1.4 kilo-years ago (kya), which falls within the time frame of the Silk Road scenario and fits well with historical records and archaeological discoveries. This observed genetic contribution from Chinese to Ashkenazi Jews demonstrates that the historical exchange between Ashkenazim and the Far East was not confined to the cultural sphere but also extended to an exchange of genes.
    From "A genetic contribution from the Far East into Ashkenazi Jews via the ancient Silk Road" (can't figure out how to embed links).

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Russian/a bit Ashkenazi
    Nationality
    Russian
    Y-DNA
    R1a-Z92>YP569

Russian Federation Ukraine Belarus Israel
    I saw only noise level and not in all A. Jews, nothing serious East Asian (IMO).
    myOrigins: 77% East Europe, 14% Finland, 2% Siberia, 2% Northeast Asia, 2% Central Asia, <2% North and Central America
    GEDmatch: T159830 (me), T276978 (maternal granny)

Registered Users
    Sex

Small amounts of East Asian ancestry is normal for West Eurasians outside of Western Europe (and North Africa).

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

I think the surname Kagan comes from Khazar. I imagine some east European Jews have Asian ancestry in small amounts but not all. Minor ancestry for Ashkenazi people on 23andme is outside the Ashkenazi category. Sometimes people get Scandinavian, Asian or other groups.

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Jewish & British
    Y-DNA
    J1-YSC234 (Z18271+)
    mtDNA
    J1c5

Israel Israel Jerusalem United Kingdom England Scotland Isle of Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamon orange View Post
    I think the surname Kagan comes from Khazar. I imagine some east European Jews have Asian ancestry in small amounts but not all. Minor ancestry for Ashkenazi people on 23andme is outside the Ashkenazi category. Sometimes people get Scandinavian, Asian or other groups.
    "Kagan" is just "Kahan" (the Aramaic equivalent of Kohen) really. /h/ is often transliterated with the cyrillic Ge (Г) into Russian and Ukrainian, for instance "Hitler" is spelled Гитлер in Russian and Гітлер in Ukrainian. In both cases, what you're seeing is "Gitler", however everyone knows how this is meant to be pronounced. Not so much with Kahan, which is how "Kagan" replaced "Kahan".
    ᾽Άλλο δέ τοι ἐρέω, σὺ δ᾽ ἐνὶ φρεσὶ βάλλεο σῇσιν:
    κρύβδην, μηδ᾽ ἀναφανδά, φίλην ἐς πατρίδα γαῖαν
    νῆα κατισχέμεναι: ἐπεὶ οὐκέτι πιστὰ γυναιξίν.

-Αγαμέμνων; H Οδύσσεια, Ραψωδία λ

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Agamemnon For This Useful Post:

Erik (07-09-2017),  Power77 (07-09-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H24a1

Ireland Germany Cornwall Scotland Switzerland Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjohn View Post
    Does anyone know why Ashkenazi Jews score small amounts of Yakut/East Asian on 23 and me? Is it related to the Khazars or is there a more recent admixture that took place in Russia/Ukraine?
    When you say "small amount" you mean >5%, >2%, >1%? In general, it is not uncommon for Eastern Europeans to have trace East Asian. Whether its from Han influence, common trade routes or even the Golden Horde, I would assume it is fairly ancient and passed down through multiple lines in small amounts.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to greerpalmer For This Useful Post:

Nibelung (07-13-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italian Slavic Jew
    Y-DNA
    E-V12*Egypt Natufian
    mtDNA
    I5a Levant

Italy Poland Germany Palatinate Israel
    Quote Originally Posted by greerpalmer View Post
    When you say "small amount" you mean >5%, >2%, >1%? In general, it is not uncommon for Eastern Europeans to have trace East Asian. Whether its from Han influence, common trade routes or even the Golden Horde, I would assume it is fairly ancient and passed down through multiple lines in small amounts.
    Like .5% more likely.
    DNA Tribes

Balto - North Slavic 22.4%
    Northwest European 18.8%
    Italian Greek 18.1%
    Persian Jewish 9%
    Iberian 6.3%
    Ashkenazi Jewish 5.9%
    Basque 4.3%
    Sephardic Jewish 4.1%
    Balochi Punjab 3.7%
    Caucasus 2.5%
    Urals 1.3%
    Finnish 1.2%
    Lebanese Cypriot 1%
    Other 1.4%

Sephardic Jewish Turkey 18.8%
    Argyll and Bute Scottish Highlands 18.6%
    Sardinia 18.4%
    Lithuania 15.7%
    Russia Voronezh 7%
    Belgium 5.6%
    Syrian Jewish 4.9%
    Libyan Jewish 4.4%
    Russia Tver 2.4%
    Azerbaijani Jewish 2.2%

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by mrjohn View Post
    Go to google.. type in "Radhanite Jews" this more or less explains it.. Silk Road merchants.. back and forth East to West/West to East for centuries.. I here they even setup some synagogues in north China on there travels..