Thread: How to best go about sending YSEQ kits to other testers?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    L2>BY3508...>BY3506

Ireland England Scotland

How to best go about sending YSEQ kits to other testers?

Having done Big Y and STR testing but having no STR matches I'm intending to use single SNP testing to try and identify people with the same surname who share my terminal SNP, there are around 5 of us who have tested positive for this SNP and so if a Dillon is BY3506+ there is a high likelihood that we have a recent male line common ancestor. I intend to do this testing through YSEQ and to pay for this testing myself.

My query is that is it possible for me to buy the single SNP testing kit and have it sent to a different address (to mine) and pay for return postage in advance? I am keen to encourage Dillons from Manchester in England to test and feel that even paying just for return postage is likely to deter most people.

Alternatively, to do this would I have to have the kit sent to me, I buy a envelope and stamp for the tester to return the kit to YSEQ before sending the kit on to the tester?
    Paternal Y-DNA: U152>L2>BY3508>L135>BY3506 Estimated age of BY3506: 500BC
    Most Distant Known Paternal Ancestor: Patrick Dillon, born around 1790 somewhere in Ireland (possibly County Mayo). Some of his descendants later moved to Manchester, England between the 1820s and 30s.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pictland/Deira
    Y-DNA
    R1b-M222-FGC5864
    mtDNA
    H5r*

I've got a near 100% return rate paying for the sample kit and testing but them covering the postage back to the lab. No idea if that was what put off the odd one or two who dropped out.
    YSEQ:#37; YFull: YF01405 (Y Elite 2013)
    WGS (Full Genomes Nov 2015, YSEQ Feb 2019, Dante Mar 2019, FGC-10X Linked Reads Apr 2019, Dante-Nanopore May 2019) - further WGS tests pending ;-)
    Ancestry GCs: Scots in central Scotland & Ulster, Ireland; English in Yorkshire & Pennines
    Hidden Content
    FBIMatch: A828783 (autosomal DNA) for segment matching DO NOT POST ADMIXTURE REPORTS USING MY KIT

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MacUalraig For This Useful Post:

DillonResearcher (06-25-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    L2>BY3508...>BY3506

Ireland England Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUalraig View Post
    I've got a near 100% return rate paying for the sample kit and testing but them covering the postage back to the lab. No idea if that was what put off the odd one or two who dropped out.
    Okay, that's encouraging. The problem though is that I am considering targeting people who have no current interest in family history so I'm anticipating a pretty low response rate. I'm considering asking if a local newspaper would be willing to put a small paragraph/column in and I'm going to put a notice on some online local community discussion pages as well.

What I might do perhaps is mention in the "advert" that I can cover the cost of return postage if required and if asked I would ask them how much the postage cost and then do a bank transfer for the couple of pounds.

The fundamental problem I am trying to solve is that there are estimated by Forebears to be 100,000 Dillons in the world with around 30 having done STR tests and with the surname having multiple unrelated origins there just aren't enough people that have tested.
    Most Distant Known Paternal Ancestor: Patrick Dillon, born around 1790 somewhere in Ireland (possibly County Mayo). Some of his descendants later moved to Manchester, England between the 1820s and 30s.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English, Irish, German
    Nationality
    US
    Y-DNA
    L21>L226>FGC5639

England Germany Netherlands France Ireland Switzerland
    I have "sponsored" several YSEQ testers and suggest the following. First, get the approval of donor to use his DNA for testing at your expense (in an email). With this in hand, forward this email to YSEQ and place the order for the donor. You have to provide YSEQ with the donor's mailing address so that YSEQ knows where to send the collection kit. When ordering, put in the comments - that you are paying for the test but send the kit to the donor and create a new ID and password to be sent to you and the donor. YSEQ also will require the email of the donor as well as this donor has the full rights to YDNA testing and has the right to change his mind about testing. So test several YSNPs up front vs. one at time which gives the donor time to have possible second thoughts. Be sure to request the new ID/PW from YSEQ as well. This way you can directly look at results and add his kit to the appropriate project. If the person never returns the kit, you can ask for a refund on the testing costs - but will loose the $5 for the mailing of the kit.
    Last edited by RobertCasey; 06-25-2017 at 11:59 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RobertCasey For This Useful Post:

DillonResearcher (06-26-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    L2>BY3508...>BY3506

Ireland England Scotland
    Thanks for the advice Robert, that's really helpful. Did your testers pay to return the test to YSEQ themselves or did you reimburse them somehow?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English, Irish, German
    Nationality
    US
    Y-DNA
    L21>L226>FGC5639

England Germany Netherlands France Ireland Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by DillonResearcher View Post
    Thanks for the advice Robert, that's really helpful. Did your testers pay to return the test to YSEQ themselves or did you reimburse them somehow?
    When you place the order, it will be on your ID/password and the costs for testing and shipping will bill against your payment options. In the comment field, you refer to the email giving you permission and request that they create a new ID and send the kit to the mailing address of the donor in the comment field vs. your address. Be sure to place the order shortly after the email is forwarded to YSEQ - otherwise your order may get rejected since they get so many emails. If it is all United States mail, I believe that the kit is prepaid return - but you would have to ask YSEQ about return shipping costs - specially if international shipping. YSEQ is located in Berlin, Germany. I have sponsored several tests and return mailing costs have never come up (but all have been in the US to date).
    Last edited by RobertCasey; 06-26-2017 at 11:00 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    L2>BY3508...>BY3506

Ireland England Scotland
    In case it helps anyone, I've just had YSEQ results back for a cousin that I tested (as discussed earlier in this thread) and YSEQ were really helpful with sorting out pre-paid return postage.

I was wanting to test a male line cousin to verify my paper trail but wanted to be able to pay for all of the testing costs to avoid anything which might discourage him from agreeing to be tested. As both him and I live in the UK I was also keen to avoid him needing to pay for international return postage. I emailed YSEQ and they said that they can't do this for all countries but were able to do it for the UK.

They charged the usual price for a single SNP (14.04), 3.90 for delivery and then 7.76 for pre-paid return postage and the envelope which seems pretty fair so just under 26.

The kit was ordered on 4th July, dispatched on the same day and received back at the lab on 11th July which was pretty impressive. Unfortunately, the actual testing was not as quick and after four weeks I emailed to ask how it was all going and they explained that the SNP I was testing for (BY3506) had been running twice but had failed and so they would need to order new primers and that I had just missed the latest batch for ordering new primers so it would be a few more weeks. Fortunately another SNP is equivalent to BY3506 and so YSEQ suggested testing this instead and two days later the result came through.

So, I'd throughly recommend YSEQ, fairly priced (in my view) and when emailed very quick to respond. I seem to have been unlucky with the first SNP that I tried causing primer problems and it would have been good if they had suggested the alternative SNP earlier on but getting the alternative result within two days made up for the initial delay and in fairness I was the first person to order BY3506 to my knowledge.