Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scandinavian in results - confused.

Scandinavian in results - confused.

Firstly, I'd like to apologise if I'm asking a silly question. I'm new to researching my ancestry, and I'm still learning a lot of new things.

--

I have a small percentage of Scandinavian in my results (1.9%) and I'm wondering how legitimate it is.

My results have come back pretty accurately, but this Scandinavian result has come out of the blue. I emailed Living DNA and they said anything below 2% can be classed as statistical noise, which sounds a bit vague.

I've seen a few tests results from others who used Living DNA, and I've again seen other instances where a tiny fragment of Scandinavian has been picked up. I saw another user who had 1.5% Scandinavian and about 95% British.

I guess my question is, is this likely to be legitimately Scandinavian? If not, any ideas as to where this may have come from? Of course it could be British DNA that they can't quite match, but I'm assuming it's not British DNA since they have picked up a massive amount for me and seems unlikely they'd be unable to pinpoint that final 1.9%

If it's relevant, my results updated recently and got more accurate to what I know to be fact. With regards to the Scandinavian in this aspect, it rose from 1.7% to 1.9%, so I'm not sure what to make of it.

In standard and cautious mode, it disappears to Europe unassigned. I only see the Scandinavian in complete mode.

Any clues?

Thank you.
    Last edited by CuriousAboutStuff; 07-01-2017 at 12:22 AM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    P312>BY20474>BY36125
    mtDNA (M)
    V15a

England Ireland East Anglia Cornwall
    Would you be able to share the Haplogroups they assigned you to? That might help give an idea as to how legitimate the Scandinavian result is.
    Living DNA Test Results: Hidden Content
    Gedmatch kit: T185767
    Gedmatch Genesis beta kit: LD2584831

Error

Error
    Last edited by CuriousAboutStuff; 06-30-2017 at 09:52 PM. Reason: error

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CuriousAboutStuff For This Useful Post:

ajc347 (06-30-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Great Migration Colonists
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U106 (S10415)
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c2g (FMS)
    Y-DNA (M)
    I1a-P109 (23andMe)
    mtDNA (P)
    T2b3 (23andMe)

United States Gadsden England Scotland Ireland Wales
    My LivingDNA results "feel" fairly accurate to me, with the exception of my Scandinavian percentage.

They have given me 20% Scandinavian and my known ancestry gives no Scandinavian ancestry at all. In addition, I know of someone else with no known Scandinavian ancestry received a result of 32% Scandinavian, despite having no Scandinavian paper-trail.

I have created a spreadsheet documenting my currently known "paper-trail" genealogy and compared the ethnicity results derived from this to the ethnicity results I have received from various autosomal DNA tests (including LivingDNA, 23andMe, Ancestry DNA, FamilyFinder, and Geno 2.0). Except for the Scandinavian issue, Living DNA does track fairly well with what I know about my ancestry.
    Gedmatch DNA: M032736 Gedcom: 6613110.
    Gedmatch Genesis: WH4547538
    co-administrator: Y-DNA R-U106 Haplogroup Project

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wing Genealogist For This Useful Post:

ajc347 (06-30-2017),  Amerijoe (07-01-2017),  Mike_G (06-30-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Great Migration Colonists
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U106 (S10415)
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c2g (FMS)
    Y-DNA (M)
    I1a-P109 (23andMe)
    mtDNA (P)
    T2b3 (23andMe)

United States Gadsden England Scotland Ireland Wales
    I have remarked on another topic where it is possible I may have some Scandinavian ancestry, but it cannot be anywhere near as high as the 20% assigned by Living DNA.

I have some ancestry from Delaware, and there was a New Sweden colony on the Delaware River. However, any such New Sweden colonist in my ancestry would have to have been born prior to ca 1780.
    Gedmatch DNA: M032736 Gedcom: 6613110.
    Gedmatch Genesis: WH4547538
    co-administrator: Y-DNA R-U106 Haplogroup Project

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Wing Genealogist For This Useful Post:

Nibelung (06-30-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Wing Genealogist View Post
    My LivingDNA results "feel" fairly accurate to me, with the exception of my Scandinavian percentage.

They have given me 20% Scandinavian and my known ancestry gives no Scandinavian ancestry at all. In addition, I know of someone else with no known Scandinavian ancestry received a result of 32% Scandinavian, despite having no Scandinavian paper-trail.

I have created a spreadsheet documenting my currently known "paper-trail" genealogy and compared the ethnicity results derived from this to the ethnicity results I have received from various autosomal DNA tests (including LivingDNA, 23andMe, Ancestry DNA, FamilyFinder, and Geno 2.0). Except for the Scandinavian issue, Living DNA does track fairly well with what I know about my ancestry.
    To be fair I think they've hit the nail on the head with my ancestry. It seems almost perfect to what I know so far. But it's this small percentage which has confused me. It's so small that I think it might just be noise, but it did rise when my results updated. The rest seems spot on to be honest.

I've hardly any paper trail as I've only just started researching my ancestry, but based on what I know, it seems unlikely that I'm going to find a Scandinavian ancestor. Of course, maybe I will actually find a Scandinavian ancestor, who knows?, but as of right now I've no reason to believe it.
    Last edited by CuriousAboutStuff; 07-01-2017 at 12:23 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CuriousAboutStuff For This Useful Post:

ollie444 (07-01-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by ajc347 View Post
    Would you be able to share the Haplogroups they assigned you to? That might help give an idea as to how legitimate the Scandinavian result is.
    I'm female, so no Y-DNA, but my MtDNA has come back as H1.

LivingDNA says this is found in 18% of the Swedish, Danish and Norwegian population, and 16% of the British population.
    Last edited by CuriousAboutStuff; 06-30-2017 at 09:55 PM. Reason: typo

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    P312>BY20474>BY36125
    mtDNA (M)
    V15a

I've been given a 13.2% Scandinavian result in my complete mode and have no documented ancestry from Scandinavia.

I'm not so sure about the cut-off they define for statistical noise though. I was, for example, born in Southern England and have documented paper ancestry in the South Central England area, yet these areas are only assigned 1.3% and 1.6% respectively, whilst some other areas with paper ancestry don't show up in the results at all.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajc347 For This Useful Post:

Amerijoe (07-01-2017),  Mike_G (06-30-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by ajc347 View Post
    I've been given a 13.2% Scandinavian result in my complete mode and have no documented ancestry from Scandinavia.

I'm not so sure about the cut-off they define for statistical noise though. I was, for example, born in Southern England and have documented paper ancestry in the South Central England area, yet these areas are only assigned 1.3% and 1.6% respectively, whilst some other areas with paper ancestry don't show up in the results at all.
    I'll just quote a small excerpt from the email they sent me:

"With a figure as low as 1.7% it is likely that this could be, what we would term as, noise in the sample and so may not attribute to a specific person.
    Noise will most commonly arise when the sample itself is too small.

We tend to look at the percentage number that's assigned to the DNA call as anything below 2 is likely to be noise in the sample. This could either be a small amount for that population or a partial signature that has been matched to the closest population sample that we hold."

Hope this can help clarify.
    They've been very helpful with any queries I've had so far and gone into a lot of detail to help me.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    P312>BY20474>BY36125
    mtDNA (M)
    V15a

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousAboutStuff View Post
    I'm female, so no Y-DNA, but my MtDNA has come back as H1.

LivingDNA says this is found in 18% of the Swedish, Danish and Norwegian population, and 16% of the British population.
    There's a good guide to Haplogroup H (along with some coverage maps etc) here: http://www.eupedia.com/europe/Haplogroup_H_mtDNA.shtml

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast