Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Scandinavian in results - confused.

Quote Originally Posted by evon View Post
    It is worth noting that most, if not all DNA companies, struggle to separate German, British and Scandinavian from one another. So in most cases, when someone get % from a group they have no known ancestry from, I would say it is simply a matter of mislabeling of the %.

A very good example of this is western Norwegians who score between 20-40% British with 23andme and FTDNA, which in all likelihood reflect their known German and Danish ancestry, rather than some hidden British ancestors. The same is true for Germans and Brits who sometimes score high Scandinavian, etc..

For Brits I would say that Scandinavian % in most cases is likely a Saxon DNA signal that is mislabeled as Scandinavian.
    Thanks for your detailed reply.

Yeah, I think that it's mislabelled DNA. It just seems a bit random and out of place in my results. Of course I'm not denying it might actually be there, but the company themselves said it's probably noise. 10 generations is too soon, I think, for me to have such ancestry.

I just wanted to see if there was any viable explanation for it. I'm no good at history or genetics, so I wasn't sure how close Scandinavian and British DNA actually was, but judging by this, it seems close enough for it to confuse the test.

As I said before, I only see this Scandinavian appear in the complete mode. In standard and cautious it changes to Europe unassigned. Not even British unassigned, just Europe. So I don't know. Confusing.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CuriousAboutStuff For This Useful Post:

evon (07-01-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    L21>FGC6545>Y160102
    mtDNA (M)
    H6a1b2h
    mtDNA (P)
    H27e

Ireland Ireland Connacht Ireland County Roscommon Ireland County Galway Ireland County Mayo
    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousAboutStuff View Post
    I'd take another DNA test but I don't know what it's really going to tell me. The LivingDNA test has put me at nearly 100% British and the small Scandinavian part. The LivingDNA test has been accurate for me so I don't think I'm going to figure anything out. It's probably just noise.

Thanks for your reply.
    I've tested with Ancestry and Living DNA and they both give me small Scandinavian percentages. The raw file I uploaded to MyHeritage and FTDNA gave me 100% Irish and 100% British Isles respectively. Ancestry also gives me 2% Great Britain. I've gone back to the 1700s with no sign of an ancestor from England or Scandinavia. I do think that it might be real but it's from a long time ago and that particular Scandinavian DNA has just happened to be passed down through the generations. I'm not expecting to find any Great British or Scandinavian ancestor. The only link to Scandinavia in my tree is the surnames Knott and Broderick. Knotts are apparently descended from King Canute of Scandinavia and Broderick comes from a personal Norse name. If this is where it comes from, it's from a very long time ago. I'm not entirely convinced one way or the other if it's real or not.
    Ancestry: Ireland (Paper trail ≅ 81.25% Roscommon, 12.5% Galway, 6.25% Mayo)
    Y-DNA (P) ancestor (Y): Kelly b. c1830 in Co. Roscommon (U Maine)
    mtDNA (P) ancestor: Fleming b. c1831 in Co. Roscommon
    mtDNA (M) ancestor: McDermott b. c1814 in Co. Roscommon
    mtDNA Great grandfather: Connella b. c1798 in Co. Roscommon (T2a1a8)
    Y-DNA 2x great grandfather: Higgins b. c1816 in Co. Roscommon (R-DF109)
    Y-DNA 3x great grandfather: Fleming b. c1829 in Co. Roscommon (R-Z23534)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FionnSneachta For This Useful Post:

[email protected] (07-01-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly Welsh,+ flags
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a- Z283 - Y128147
    mtDNA (M)
    J2a1a1a

Wales Scotland Ireland Cornwall United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by FionnSneachta View Post
    I've tested with Ancestry and Living DNA and they both give me small Scandinavian percentages. The raw file I uploaded to MyHeritage and FTDNA gave me 100% Irish and 100% British Isles respectively. Ancestry also gives me 2% Great Britain. I've gone back to the 1700s with no sign of an ancestor from England or Scandinavia. I do think that it might be real but it's from a long time ago and that particular Scandinavian DNA has just happened to be passed down through the generations. I'm not expecting to find any Great British or Scandinavian ancestor. The only link to Scandinavia in my tree is the surnames Knott and Broderick. Knotts are apparently descended from King Canute of Scandinavia and Broderick comes from a personal Norse name. If this is where it comes from, it's from a very long time ago. I'm not entirely convinced one way or the other if it's real or not.
    I totally agree with you, I think it’s from back in the day when the Norse were out and about around our Islands.
    Gedmatch
    Kit Num: M129412, QA3736362
    23andme
    Hidden Content
    LivingDNA
    Hidden Content

6. The Following User Says Thank You to [email protected] For This Useful Post:

FionnSneachta (07-01-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I totally agree with you, I think its from back in the day when the Norse were out and about around our Islands.
    So am I correct in saying you both think this could be legitimate? Is this a case where it's the random 50% from each parent and it just so happens that this tiny Scandinavian could be from an extremely long time ago, and by chance, it's lasted long enough to pop up in my DNA?

could anyone tell me how I upload my raw data to ftdna or my heritage? It might clear something up.

I said in a previous post however, when I change it to cautious and standard mode in LivingDNA, it disappears to Europe unassigned. Just Europe unassigned and not British unassigned. Could this mean anything?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CuriousAboutStuff For This Useful Post:

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    L21>FGC6545>Y160102
    mtDNA (M)
    H6a1b2h
    mtDNA (P)
    H27e

Ireland Ireland Connacht Ireland County Roscommon Ireland County Galway Ireland County Mayo
    So am I correct in saying you both think this could be legitimate? Is this a case where it's the random 50% from each parent and it just so happens that this tiny Scandinavian could be from an extremely long time ago, and by chance, it's lasted long enough to pop up in my DNA?

could anyone tell me how I upload my raw data to ftdna or my heritage? It might clear something up.

I said in a previous post however, when I change it to cautious and standard mode in LivingDNA, it disappears to Europe unassigned. Just Europe unassigned and not British unassigned. Could this mean anything?
    My Scandinavian percentage also only appears in complete mode and is unassigned in standard. If it was a percentage from Asia or something I'd put it down to be noise but since there is a history of Scandinavians coming to Britain and Ireland, I don't think it's impossible and I do think that it could possibly be real. You can believe whatever you want. Either way I wouldn't get bogged down on it because you're not going to ever be able completely prove if it's real or not. I'm happy enough to believe it's real since it's such a small percentage and yet that small percent when mentioned always interests people because of the Vikings. My paternal aunt was disappointed when she didn't get any Scandinavian percentage on Ancestry (which actually matches up with the Knott and Broderick surnames since they're both on my mum's side). It's such a small percentage that it's not going to impact on your identity or anything.

Since it's unassigned, Living DNA aren't confident that you actually have DNA from this region but it comes up in complete because it may provide clues. However, in cautious mode they were confident that I had 13.7% Southeast England related ancestry when I don't so make of that what you will. It's funny because Scandinavia is the only result that I'm happy with on Living DNA. I never had any issue with that result but was happy that it matched with Ancestry.

Unfortunately you can't upload your raw DNA to MyHeritage or FTDNA at the moment since they're not compatible.
    Last edited by FionnSneachta; 07-01-2017 at 04:19 PM.
    Ancestry: Ireland (Paper trail ≅ 81.25% Roscommon, 12.5% Galway, 6.25% Mayo)
    Y-DNA (P) ancestor (Y): Kelly b. c1830 in Co. Roscommon (U Maine)
    mtDNA (P) ancestor: Fleming b. c1831 in Co. Roscommon
    mtDNA (M) ancestor: McDermott b. c1814 in Co. Roscommon
    mtDNA Great grandfather: Connella b. c1798 in Co. Roscommon (T2a1a8)
    Y-DNA 2x great grandfather: Higgins b. c1816 in Co. Roscommon (R-DF109)
    Y-DNA 3x great grandfather: Fleming b. c1829 in Co. Roscommon (R-Z23534)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to FionnSneachta For This Useful Post:

My Scandinavian percentage also only appears in complete mode and is unassigned in standard. If it was a percentage from Asia or something I'd put it down to be noise but since there is a history of Scandinavians coming to Britain and Ireland, I don't think it's impossible and I do think that it could possibly be real. You can believe whatever you want. Either way I wouldn't get bogged down on it because you're not going to ever be able completely prove if it's real or not. I'm happy enough to believe it's real since it's such a small percentage and yet that small percent when mentioned always interests people because of the Vikings. My paternal aunt was disappointed when she didn't get any Scandinavian percentage on Ancestry (which actually matches up with the Knott and Broderick surnames since they're both on my mum's side). It's such a small percentage that it's not going to impact on your identity or anything.

Since it's unassigned, Living DNA aren't confident that you actually have DNA from this region but it comes up in complete because it may provide clues. However, in cautious mode they were confident that I had 13.7% Southeast England related ancestry when I don't so make of that what you will. It's funny because Scandinavia is the only result that I'm happy with on Living DNA. I never had any issue with that result but was happy that it matched with Ancestry.

Unfortunately you can't upload your raw DNA to MyHeritage or FTDNA at the moment since they're not compatible.
    Thank you very much.

All of my known ancestry is from England and nowhere but. One of my relavties was under the impression we had some small, distant Irish ancestry which seems legitimate since I've relatives from a city which is was settled by a lot of Irish, but nobody is sure. Aberdeenshire came up in my results at 6%. Apparently this is either Scottish or Irish. I'm thinking this might be the Irish that was mentioned seeing as I don't have any idea at all of any Scottish. But the Scandinavian is a random result. I researched my surnames in my family, and only one comes up as having a possible Scandinavian origin, though it's also of English origin as well.

I'll be going around in circles. I guess you're correct to say that it may be something I'll just never know. My results might update to something clearer in the future.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CuriousAboutStuff For This Useful Post:

FionnSneachta (07-01-2017),  [email protected] (07-01-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    U106 Z326 R-BY27310
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c1b2a

United Kingdom Wales
    Thank you very much.

All of my known ancestry is from England and nowhere but. One of my relavties was under the impression we had some small, distant Irish ancestry which seems legitimate since I've relatives from a city which is was settled by a lot of Irish, but nobody is sure. Aberdeenshire came up in my results at 6%. Apparently this is either Scottish or Irish. I'm thinking this might be the Irish that was mentioned seeing as I don't have any idea at all of any Scottish. But the Scandinavian is a random result. I researched my surnames in my family, and only one comes up as having a possible Scandinavian origin, though it's also of English origin as well.

I'll be going around in circles. I guess you're correct to say that it may be something I'll just never know. My results might update to something clearer in the future.
    To be honest the more you test the more "odd" things you will come up with. Some of it will be one thing taken for another for example English mistaken for Scandinavian. Some may reflect ancient origins. Not all the DNA we inherit is from recent ancestry. Some people get matches with samples that are thousands of years old obviously passed down the generations. Some people have Neanderthal DNA. As I mentioned I get "Asian" with the probability that it goes back to around the Neolithic. Some of my calculators show Basque, but that doesn't mean I have recent Basque ancestry. John

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JohnHowellsTyrfro For This Useful Post:

Amerijoe (07-01-2017),  FionnSneachta (07-01-2017),  JMcB (07-01-2017),  [email protected] (07-01-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    U106 Z326 R-BY27310
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c1b2a

United Kingdom Wales
    I've possibly got back to the mid 1800s through one of my grandparents and they are not of Scandinavian heritage. Based on this logic, and the fact almost everyone I've spoken to can't place any Scandinavian in our family, I'm thinking it's just a mismatched sample - especially since LivingDNA only goes back 10 generations, which is about 300 years if I'm not mistaken. So, I've already reached 200 years through one line and there's nothing.

The only way I could even hypothesise any Scandinavian in my ancestry is if it entered hundreds, maybe even thousands of years ago. That wouldn't leave a trace on the LivingDNA test though.

If I do find something, which, maybe I will, maybe I won't, I'll update this thread. But I'm not expecting to find it. I'm just more confused as to why it rose from 1.7% to 1.9%.

Thanks for your reply.
    I think this only means they can only identify your specific ancestors for about 10 generations because before that it all gets too mixed and murky ( too many ancestors, at 10 generations you will have over 1,000 ancestors at 11 generations over 2,000 ) but the DNA we all inherit goes back thousands of years. John

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JohnHowellsTyrfro For This Useful Post:

Amerijoe (07-01-2017),  JMcB (07-01-2017),  [email protected] (07-01-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHowellsTyrfro View Post
    To be honest the more you test the more "odd" things you will come up with. Some of it will be one thing taken for another for example English mistaken for Scandinavian. Some may reflect ancient origins. Not all the DNA we inherit is from recent ancestry. Some people get matches with samples that are thousands of years old obviously passed down the generations. Some people have Neanderthal DNA. As I mentioned I get "Asian" with the probability that it goes back to around the Neolithic. Some of my calculators show Basque, but that doesn't mean I have recent Basque ancestry. John
    This is my first test, so I think I've taken the results at face value. I just assumed it would all be recent ancestry, but I didn't account for the fact that it could be an old sample that's come down the lineage to me.

It doesn't change anything for me, I was just very curious. Though I appreciate your input in helping me clear this up.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CuriousAboutStuff For This Useful Post:

FionnSneachta (07-01-2017),  JMcB (07-01-2017),  JohnHowellsTyrfro (07-01-2017),  [email protected] (07-01-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Scot
    Nationality
    American Naturalized
    Y-DNA (P)
    YP6291 R1a1a1b2a2a*
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c23

United States of America Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnHowellsTyrfro View Post
    John, John, John, look at you in your big boy pants. I remember joining this forum at last year's beginning and reading your posts. Many of your posts apologetic due to your perceived lack of knowledge or training, but filled with useful rock solid reasoning. Now here you are aiding those wandering through an unfamiliar maze, trying to make sense of information beyond the grasp of many an individual. You give us seasoned members great hope in our quest for knowledge. To a cousin from a far, I say Kudos to you my friend. Joe

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Amerijoe For This Useful Post:

deadly77 (07-02-2017),  Jessie (07-02-2017),  JMcB (07-01-2017),  JohnHowellsTyrfro (07-01-2017)

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast