Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Scandinavian in results - confused.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Scot
    Nationality
    American Naturalized
    Y-DNA (P)
    YP6291 R1a1a1b2a2a*
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c23

United States of America Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnHowellsTyrfro View Post
    accidentally quoted myself.
    John, now you're starting to sound like a politician. Joe

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Amerijoe For This Useful Post:

JohnHowellsTyrfro (07-09-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Euromutt
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-Z92>YP682>Y60295
    mtDNA (M)
    H1n-T146C!

United States of America Lithuania England Netherlands Ireland Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousAboutStuff View Post
    Probably a stupid question, but as I'm mtdna H1, does that mean I'm only related to individuals within H1 specifically, or the whole H haplogroup?
    You might belong to a narrower/more recent sublclade. I'm H1 on LivingDNA but H1n on 23andme and H1n-T146C! (their exclamation point, not mine) on FTDNA's full mtdna thing.
    The more I learn about this DNA stuff the less I know.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike_G For This Useful Post:

JohnHowellsTyrfro (07-09-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    You might belong to a narrower/more recent sublclade. I'm H1 on LivingDNA but H1n on 23andme and H1n-T146C! (their exclamation point, not mine) on FTDNA's full mtdna thing.
    Apologies for such a delayed response.

It seems like the more tests you take, the more confusing it gets

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CuriousAboutStuff For This Useful Post:

Amerijoe (07-14-2017),  Mike_G (07-14-2017),  tomz (07-23-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Euromutt
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-Z92>YP682>Y60295
    mtDNA (M)
    H1n-T146C!

United States of America Lithuania England Netherlands Ireland Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousAboutStuff View Post
    Apologies for such a delayed response.

It seems like the more tests you take, the more confusing it gets
    No sweat.

Actually in this instance I think Living DNA came up short. That H1n and its sublclade led back to the northwestern part of Germany and Sweden. That's pretty accurate in my case (GGGGG grand mama came here from Cologne). Seems about right from my mtDNA matches and other research.

If you really want to know, look at FTDNA's mtFull if you've got a little extra cash. Word of warning though: the "advanced tests" that I spent the extra cash on in the cases of Big Y and Y-Full showed nothing more than what Y-67 and Michal Milewski's analysis showed on my initial FTDNA Y test. Caveat Emptor. Even the extra subclade on my H1n probably wasn't necessary. They all lead back to the same old lady in the same geographic region.
    The more I learn about this DNA stuff the less I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    No sweat.

Actually in this instance I think Living DNA came up short. That H1n and its sublclade led back to the northwestern part of Germany and Sweden. That's pretty accurate in my case (GGGGG grand mama came here from Cologne). Seems about right from my mtDNA matches and other research.

If you really want to know, look at FTDNA's mtFull if you've got a little extra cash. Word of warning though: the "advanced tests" that I spent the extra cash on in the cases of Big Y and Y-Full showed nothing more than what Y-67 and Michal Milewski's analysis showed on my initial FTDNA Y test. Caveat Emptor. Even the extra subclade on my H1n probably wasn't necessary. They all lead back to the same old lady in the same geographic region.
    Maybe I'll do another test and see how it matches up to LivingDNA. I might take an Ancestry DNA test, since I believe I can run it through FTDNA, but not the other way around, though I'm not sure. I'll also get my results up onto GEDmatch at some point and see how it matches.

Don't know anything about mtdna if I'm honest.

Thank you
    Last edited by CuriousAboutStuff; 07-15-2017 at 05:54 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CuriousAboutStuff For This Useful Post:

Mike_G (07-15-2017)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northern English
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    Brother I2-M26 I2a1a
    mtDNA (M)
    H4a1a1a

Hi Curious, be aware with the mtdna stuff that depending on your downstream mutations your tmrca may be many 1000s of years ago. So you are related to all H but that will be much more than 10000 years ago. Sometimes taking these tests gradually can be best so that you have time to absorb them slowly. It is a steep learning curve and no substitute for the paper trail hard work. But fun in both activities.
    Last edited by Judith; 07-16-2017 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Typo
    Image “Westray wifie” replica of Neolithic figurine Hidden Content
    Out of 64 pre 1800 births 45% Cheshire, 1% Irish (or Scottish), 25% south Derbyshire, 13% Burton on Trent area (where 4 counties within 10 miles), 7% Shropshire, 1% Staffs, 8% Lancs. So far all British Isles despite what some testing companies say.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Judith For This Useful Post:

JMcB (07-15-2017),  Mike_G (07-18-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    Hi Curious, be aware with the mtdna stuff that depending on your downstream mutations your tmrca may be many 1000s of years ago. So you are related to all H but that will be much more than 10000 years ago. Sometimes taking these tests gradually can be best so that you have time to absorb them slowly. It is a steep learning curve and no substitute for the paper trail hard work. But fun in both activities.
    Paper trail is starting for me now. Going to be speaking to someone who can help me with my search as I don't really know where to start and I want to be as accurate as possible.

I think taking this test, as you say, has been a steep learning curve for me. I'm grateful that the users here have been kind enough to help me a lot, I appreciate it. Mtdna is something I've no idea about and I'll focus on deciphering these test results before taking another. I don't want to confuse myself, and I'm sure the paper trail will clear a lot up for me.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CuriousAboutStuff For This Useful Post:

JMcB (07-22-2017)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Welsh/Spanish
    Nationality
    British/Spanish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b1a1a2a1a2c
    mtDNA (M)
    H2a2a1f

Spain Wales England
    My partner has a small percent of Scandi about 2.8% but they have no documented ancestors from there...

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to isgaldo For This Useful Post:

George Chandler (07-22-2017),  JMcB (07-22-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British & Irish
    Nationality
    English
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-CTS1045
    mtDNA (M)
    H51a

England Ireland
    I have 2 FTDNA matches with trees entirely in Sweden & match on Chr17 and suggested 4th & 5th to distant cousin relationship, and two others with similar trees that match one of the first two. I haven't done a triangulation before and 3 of these matches have sizable trees, I just haven't had time to delve deeply but I suspect there will be a common connection between four of us at around generation 6 or 7.

On my gran's line in North Meols, Lancashire where Vikings landed in the 10th century, there are several family lines that have 'mingled' at 2nd-5th cousin level more than once over several generations (including my aunt & uncle who, it transpired later, were 5th cousins) Wouldn't that leave a significant genetic signature?

If Ancestry are overstating Scandinavian levels at 24% and LDNA are quite possibly understating them at 3%, have FTDNA got the middle ground right at 14%?
    Gedmatch Genesis kit # UD5643268
    Paper trail regions, Norfolk, London, Staffordshire, Derbyshire, Lancashire, Shropshire, Fermanagh, Cavan, Roscommon, Athlone, Tipperary, Dublin

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678