Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V13
    mtDNA (M)
    H24a1

Ireland Germany Cornwall Scotland Switzerland Netherlands

Noneuropean Segments in Otherwise European People

Hi guys, I wanted to open up a discussion on the validity of "surprise" nonEuropean segments in your results.

Personally, livingDNA assigns me 4.1% South Asian Pashtun which is actually a fairly significant number (present in all modes Cautious-Complete). My paper ancestry is primarily English, German, Irish with French, Swiss, and Luxembourg Germanic influence as well as Scandinavian.

Other tests have placed me varying degrees of trace nonEuropean-- MyHeritage 2.5% North African, 23andMe .1% North African/Middle Eastern, FamilyTreeDNA 1% East Central Africa (formerly 5% Middle Eastern), but all could be dismissed as noise or admixture from the Southern European-Iberian, Balkan or Italian that consistently shows as a minority share of my admixture.

Pashtun is interesting because A. It's so specific B. The confidence appears high and C. its not commonly associated with Southern Europeans. Interestingly though, in Cautious mode Pashtun related ancestry includes Armenia and Cyprus, which is much more believable.

Thoughts? I've seen several predominately English people with Near East, Central Asian or African parts.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to greerpalmer For This Useful Post:

chelle (07-03-2017),  Jessie (07-04-2017),  JohnHowellsTyrfro (07-03-2017),  MacEochaidh (07-03-2017),  sktibo (07-03-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by greerpalmer View Post
    Hi guys, I wanted to open up a discussion on the validity of "surprise" nonEuropean segments in your results.

Personally, livingDNA assigns me 4.1% South Asian Pashtun which is actually a fairly significant number (present in all modes Cautious-Complete). My paper ancestry is primarily English, German, Irish with French, Swiss, and Luxembourg Germanic influence as well as Scandinavian.

Other tests have placed me varying degrees of trace nonEuropean-- MyHeritage 2.5% North African, 23andMe .1% North African/Middle Eastern, FamilyTreeDNA 1% East Central Africa (formerly 5% Middle Eastern), but all could be dismissed as noise or admixture from the Southern European-Iberian, Balkan or Italian that consistently shows as a minority share of my admixture.

Pashtun is interesting because A. It's so specific B. The confidence appears high and C. its not commonly associated with Southern Europeans. Interestingly though, in Cautious mode Pashtun related ancestry includes Armenia and Cyprus, which is much more believable.

Thoughts? I've seen several predominately English people with Near East, Central Asian or African parts.
    How far have you gotten back with your paper ancestry?

I know it's possibly a long shot, but from a quick search, it says Pashtuns are primarily located in Pakistan. There has been military activity in Pakistan, including by the British, even in the World War years. Do you think it's a possibility that something may have gotten mixed in at that time?
    Last edited by CuriousAboutStuff; 07-03-2017 at 04:44 PM. Reason: typo

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly Welsh,+ flags
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a- Z283 - Y128147
    mtDNA (M)
    J2a1a1a

Wales Scotland Ireland Cornwall United Kingdom
    Pashtuns Are also in Afghanistan, all around the Kyber Pass area, I think it’s possible it could be a British connection, I know I personally have family stories about the Napoleonic wars, and bring a French woman back to the UK.
    For you a few generations later moving to the States, sounds plausible, certainly if this keeps popping up and many tests.
    I think even Prince William and co, have Indian dna in their tree and in paper trail, so why not.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 07-03-2017 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Gedmatch
    Kit Num: M129412, QA3736362
    23andme
    Hidden Content
    LivingDNA
    Hidden Content

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to [email protected] For This Useful Post:

chelle (07-03-2017),  FionnSneachta (07-03-2017),  MacEochaidh (07-03-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V13
    mtDNA (M)
    H24a1

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousAboutStuff View Post
    How far have you gotten back with your paper ancestry?

I know it's possibly a long shot, but from a quick search, it says Pashtuns are primarily located in Pakistan. There has been military activity in Pakistan, including by the British, even in the World War years. Do you think it's a possibility that something may have gotten mixed in at that time?
    I'm mostly colonial american with most of my ancestry coming over in the first half of the 1600's so recent War activity is not possible. I do have more recent Irish and German lines that I have trouble dating past the 1800's. I also have a great grandfather that came over from Cornwall, the most recent immigration in my tree, but most of his lines are fairly well documented.

I feel like I have a really good paper trail, but it only takes one line of unknown...

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greerpalmer For This Useful Post:

FionnSneachta (07-03-2017),  [email protected] (07-03-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    L21>FGC6545>Y160102
    mtDNA (M)
    H6a1b2h
    mtDNA (P)
    H27e

Ireland Ireland Connacht Ireland County Roscommon Ireland County Galway Ireland County Mayo
    Considering non-European DNA is appearing in every test that you've taken, I'd say that it is probably real but from a long time ago so that it would be unknown to your family today. Europe is connected to Asia and Africa so it is possible that someone from those areas got in the mix at some stage.
    Ancestry: Ireland (Paper trail ≅ 81.25% Roscommon, 12.5% Galway, 6.25% Mayo)
    Y-DNA (P) ancestor (Y): Kelly b. c1830 in Co. Roscommon (Uí Maine)
    mtDNA (P) ancestor: Fleming b. c1831 in Co. Roscommon
    mtDNA (M) ancestor: McDermott b. c1814 in Co. Roscommon
    mtDNA Great grandfather: Connella b. c1798 in Co. Roscommon (T2a1a8)
    Y-DNA 2x great grandfather: Higgins b. c1816 in Co. Roscommon (R-DF109)
    Y-DNA 3x great grandfather: Fleming b. c1829 in Co. Roscommon (R-Z23534)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FionnSneachta For This Useful Post:

[email protected] (07-03-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by greerpalmer View Post
    I'm mostly colonial american with most of my ancestry coming over in the first half of the 1600's so recent War activity is not possible. I do have more recent Irish and German lines that I have trouble dating past the 1800's. I also have a great grandfather that came over from Cornwall, the most recent immigration in my tree, but most of his lines are fairly well documented.

I feel like I have a really good paper trail, but it only takes one line of unknown...
    Ah, I understand.
    Last edited by CuriousAboutStuff; 07-03-2017 at 06:03 PM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CuriousAboutStuff For This Useful Post:

FionnSneachta (07-03-2017),  [email protected] (07-03-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V13
    mtDNA (M)
    H24a1

Anyone familiar with Romani people and how they may report on livingDNA? They're Indo-Aryan with origins northwest of India....I'd assume they were present in England, as well as Germany, France, etc.
    Last edited by greerpalmer; 07-03-2017 at 05:55 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to greerpalmer For This Useful Post:

[email protected] (07-04-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex

Netherlands
    I find 4% quite much. It may be colonial; it may be Romani, there were lots of such families in England; maybe professions can shed some light on it (stereotypically circus work, or artist things; I heard Charlie Chaplin had Roma ancestry, but I am not sure of it. Other professions may be broom maker or more ordinary things like shoe maker). I am not an expert on Roma though.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pictland/Deira
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-M222-FGC5864
    mtDNA (M)
    H5r*

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Pashtuns Are also in Afghanistan, all around the Kyber Pass area, I think it’s possible it could be a British connection, I know I personally have family stories about the Napoleonic wars, and bring a French woman back to the UK.
    For you a few generations later moving to the States, sounds plausible, certainly if this keeps popping up and many tests.
    I think even Prince William and co, have Indian dna in their tree and in paper trail, so why not.
    And Seb Coe...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...i-Playboy.html
    YSEQ:#37; YFull: YF01405 (Y Elite 2013)
    WGS (Full Genomes Nov 2015, YSEQ Feb 2019, Dante Mar 2019, FGC-10X Linked Reads Apr 2019, Dante-Nanopore May 2019, Chronomics Jan 2020, Sano Genetics Feb 2020, Nebula Genomics June 2020)
    Ancestry GCs: Scots in central Scotland & Ulster, Ireland; English in Yorkshire & Pennines
    Hidden Content
    FBIMatch: A------ (autosomal DNA) for segment matching DO NOT POST ADMIXTURE REPORTS USING MY KIT

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MacUalraig For This Useful Post:

ollie444 (07-04-2017),  [email protected] (07-04-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V13
    mtDNA (M)
    H24a1

Quote Originally Posted by Pylsteen View Post
    I find 4% quite much. It may be colonial; it may be Romani, there were lots of such families in England; maybe professions can shed some light on it.
    Good thought, from what I've seen I come from heavy farmer, dairymen and laborer stock. I've never paid too much attention so I will going forward.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to greerpalmer For This Useful Post:

[email protected] (07-04-2017)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast