Thread: GEDmatch Genesis, still confused....

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North & Ionian Seas
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1 (P109)

England Italy Germany Scotland

GEDmatch Genesis, still confused....

XY7037010 is my GEDmatch Genesis kit number, A526018 is my regular GEDmatch kit number.

I'm trying to find out if my Italian genes came from the Balkans at least in part.

I had a relative from Calabria long ago. The Crotone province has a few villages settled by Albanians hundreds of years ago, and Crotone itself was once a Greek settlement.

I am not well versed with this DNA stuff, but I have compiled a small list of some of the population groups from the various GEDmatch calculating models. They show some Southern Italian-Sicilian, but they also show some Balkan countries as well.

the majority of my ethnicity is English and German as shown in the regional DNA groupings but I also have Italian. Records being what they were in 1905 I have met a dead end in Strongoli.

For the well versed, what say you about this collection and @ locations?

From the various GEDmatch calculators.

Using 4 populations approximation:
    Belarusian + German_South + German_South + Tuscan @ 1.321496
    Albanian + English_South + Irish + Irish @ 1.338617
    English_South + German_South + Greek + Icelandic @ 1.376707
    Albanian + Dutch_South + English_South + Norwegian @ 1.377633
    British_Isles + C_Italian + CEU30 + Lithuanian @ 0.773760
    British_Isles + C_Italian + Cornwall + Lithuanian @ 0.831269

Mixed Mode Population Sharing:
    73.4% North_German + 26.6% Italian @ 1.56
    80.1% English + 19.9% Albanian @ 2.68
    85.1% English + 14.9% Greek @ 2.52
    71.2% English + 28.8% Macedonian @ 2.37
    79% North_German + 21% Spanish_Andalucia @ 2.23 (???)
    72.3% Irish + 27.7% Albanian @ 1.29
    68.5% English + 31.5% Montenegrian @ 2.63
    85.1% English + 14.9% Greek @ 2.52
    89.7% Mixed_Germanic + 10.3% Sicilian @ 1.61
    87.8% Orcadian + 12.2% S_Italian_Sicilian @ 1.74
    87.4% Orkney + 12.6% Sicilian @ 1.64
    87% Orkney + 13% S_Italian_Sicilian @ 1.78

Using 3 populations approximation:
    50% Dutch +25% Italian +25% Scottish @ 2.552180

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North & Ionian Seas
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1 (P109)

50 views and no one can assist me with deciphering this?

I know there are people on this site that love doing this sort of stuff, I had hoped I peeked their interests or presented a challenge for them.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italian
    Nationality
    American + Italian

Italy European Union
    Probably not, or at least not recently. Your three population approximation seems to be the most accurate given your ancestry though (50% Dutch, 25% English, 25% Italian) as well as the first result of your mixed mode sharing (73.4% North_German + 26.6% Italian @ 1.56).

You have to keep in mind that these tests, both commercial and amateur, are simply determining how similar your DNA is to their reference populations so some results aren't exactly going to be 100% accurate. For example, you're not literally 3/4 Irish and 1/4 Albanian, it's just that there's similarity between your southern Italian component and the Albanian reference population used; same with the 3/4 Irish, the algos used are determining that your English and German components are like their Irish sample. Southern Italy and the Balkans are genetically quite similar so it would be difficult to parse whether you have real recent Balkan ancestry (as opposed to prehistoric, which is likelier IMO) of if it's just due to sharing similar components.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Aquilifer For This Useful Post:

JerryS. (07-08-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North & Ionian Seas
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1 (P109)

Quote Originally Posted by Erlembaldo View Post
    Probably not, or at least not recently. Your three population approximation seems to be the most accurate given your ancestry though (50% Dutch, 25% English, 25% Italian) as well as the first result of your mixed mode sharing (73.4% North_German + 26.6% Italian @ 1.56).

You have to keep in mind that these tests, both commercial and amateur, are simply determining how similar your DNA is to their reference populations so some results aren't exactly going to be 100% accurate. For example, you're not literally 3/4 Irish and 1/4 Albanian, it's just that there's similarity between your southern Italian component and the Albanian reference population used; same with the 3/4 Irish, the algos used are determining that your English and German components are like their Irish sample. Southern Italy and the Balkans are genetically quite similar so it would be difficult to parse whether you have real recent Balkan ancestry (as opposed to prehistoric, which is likelier IMO) of if it's just due to sharing similar components.
    thank you for that explanation. I understand the two population group isn't exact at all. I just figured for Albanian and Montenegrin to show as the southern population that it would indicate a recent (past 200 years maybe) immigration from the Balkans to southern Italy...

again, thank you for the reply.
    Last edited by JerryS.; 07-08-2017 at 10:31 PM.