Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: J test Ashkenazi results question?

Registered Users

J test Ashkenazi results question?

So my mothers great grandfather was Ashkenazi Jewish and when both me and my mother got are AncestryDNA ethnicity reports results in (as roughly expected) my mother was: 10% Ashkenazi
    And I was 6% Ashkenazi..
    What my query concerns is when I uploaded my and her results to Gedmatch and ran
    J test she came up at: 6.63
    And I came up at: 7.61
    Just a little confused as to why my Ashkenazi percentage seems to come up as more than hers?
    Don't really make sense? 🤔
    (Scratches head in confusion) 😕
    My Gedmatch kit number is A359314 and my mothers kit number is A013639..
    If anyone can figure this out or has a theory don't be a stranger as I would be much obliged 👍

Registered Users
    Sex

Netherlands
    Two ideas: (1) the rest of her Ashkenazi hides in other components (West Asia, East Med etc.). (2) You also got Ashkenazi from your father. Seeing your Ancestry results, I would go for (1).

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-M5021
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a1b1a

Quote Originally Posted by Claudio View Post
    So my mothers great grandfather was Ashkenazi Jewish and when both me and my mother got are AncestryDNA ethnicity reports results in (as roughly expected) my mother was: 10% Ashkenazi
    And I was 6% Ashkenazi..
    What my query concerns is when I uploaded my and her results to Gedmatch and ran
    J test she came up at: 6.63
    And I came up at: 7.61
    Just a little confused as to why my Ashkenazi percentage seems to come up as more than hers?
    Don't really make sense? ��
    (Scratches head in confusion) ��
    My Gedmatch kit number is A359314 and my mothers kit number is A013639..
    If anyone can figure this out or has a theory don't be a stranger as I would be much obliged ��
    I have shared segments on chr 9 with both of you.

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by Pylsteen View Post
    Two ideas: (1) the rest of her Ashkenazi hides in other components (West Asia, East Med etc.). (2) You also got Ashkenazi from your father. Seeing your Ancestry results, I would go for (1).
    Yeah you could be right.. other than northern European the only component she has considerably higher than me is eastern European.. so its probably in amongst that.

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by Targum View Post
    I have shared segments on chr 9 with both of you.
    "I have shared segments on chr 9 with both of you" Greetings Targum 😃 Don't exactly know what that means but I take it we are distantly related through the Ashkenazi or some such? Elaborate ?😁

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British, Jewish, etc.
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-M253
    mtDNA (M)
    H3
    Y-DNA (M)
    R-Z93 or I-L233?
    mtDNA (P)
    J1c

United States of America Scotland Ireland England Star of David
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudio View Post
    "I have shared segments on chr 9 with both of you" Greetings Targum �� Don't exactly know what that means but I take it we are distantly related through the Ashkenazi or some such? Elaborate ?��
    Mine and my mom's kits match you and your mom on chr 10, Claudio. Targum, here is my kit number if you want to see if we match too. A440124

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-M5021
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a1b1a

It means there is a common ancestor but I'm not sure how far back. That ancestor was undoubtedly Jewish, and probably Western Jewish, possibly Ashkenazi but Sefaradi is also possible. Our single shared segment is 5.6 Cm in length and with your Mom 6.7 Cm

The dumbed-down explanation on the 23andme site:

"When two people share identical segments of DNA, this indicates that they share a recent common ancestor."
    Last edited by Targum; 07-07-2017 at 09:27 PM.

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by Targum View Post
    It means there is a common ancestor but I'm not sure how far back. That ancestor was undoubtedly Jewish, and probably Western Jewish, possibly Ashkenazi but Sefaradi is also possible. Our single shared segment is 5.6 Cm in length and with your Mom 6.7 Cm
    That's really interesting.. my mothers Jewish ancestry goes back to the Ashkenazi Jews of East London.. may go back further to the Separdi Jewish merchants of London before that though.. furthest recorded Jewish ancestor was one 'Israel Nathan' born 1780 🍻😃
    What were your ethnicity results on Ancestry DNA?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Claudio For This Useful Post:

Sebbo (04-24-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-M5021
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a1b1a

I did my original test on 23andme and their (artificial) Ashkenazi category was 98% + with some North African and Broadly European. I have an apparent Sefaradi ancestor seeing as I share segments with a number of unrelated non-Jewish Mexicans also. If you look around this site I have posted some of my Gedmatch Oracles and I seem to be with all of the MENA and South European, Aegean and Anatolian folks for the most part. Sometimes I am given affinities to Balkan or Caucasus ethnicities as well.
    Last edited by Targum; 07-07-2017 at 09:31 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-M5021
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a1b1a

Quote Originally Posted by chelle View Post
    Mine and my mom's kits match you and your mom on chr 10, Claudio. Targum, here is my kit number if you want to see if we match too. A440124
    6.6 Cm matching segment on chr 11

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Targum For This Useful Post:

chelle (07-07-2017)

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast