Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 52

Thread: Bulgarian L21

  1. #1
    Registered Users
    Posts
    395
    Sex
    Location
    USA
    Ethnicity
    British, German, Italian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-Z255
    mtDNA (M)
    HV4a1
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-U106

    England Italy Germany Scotland Sweden

    Bulgarian L21

    A Bulgarian fellow just tested positive for L21, with his closest matches sounding Polish (Paszkewicz). I figured I'd post it here since I'm not sure when we got L21+ results with roots this far east.
    yDNA: R1b-BY17850 (England?)
    Maternal grandfather (MDKA: Johannes Nicholas Schaefer, Saxony-Anhalt, Germany) - yDNA: R1b-U106, mtDNA: T2b
    Maternal grandmother (MDKA: Angelina Centrella, Avellino, Campania, Italia) - mtDNA: HV4a1


    Administrator for Hidden Content , Hidden Content , and Hidden Content

  2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Kopfjäger For This Useful Post:

     A Norfolk L-M20 (07-09-2017),  Agamemnon (08-14-2017),  CannabisErectusHibernius (07-09-2017),  CillKenny (08-20-2017),  jdean (07-09-2017),  lgmayka (07-08-2017),  Michał (07-08-2017),  Power77 (08-17-2017),  rms2 (07-09-2017),  [email protected] (08-20-2017)

  3. #2
    Banned
    Posts
    13,888
    Sex
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z253>BY93500
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

    Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by Kopfjäger View Post
    A Bulgarian fellow just tested positive for L21, with his closest matches sounding Polish (Paszkewicz). I figured I'd post it here since I'm not sure when we got L21+ results with roots this far east.
    Is there a way we can see his results, FTDNA kit number, etc.?

    We've had R1b-L21 farther east, in Russia, but they were Volga Germans.

  4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

     Agamemnon (08-14-2017),  jdean (07-09-2017),  Kopfjäger (07-09-2017),  Power77 (08-17-2017)

  5. #3
    Registered Users
    Posts
    2,138
    Sex
    Location
    UK
    Nationality
    Welsh
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-DF49
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c2e

    European Union
    We've two DF49 who are on separate branches of ZP21 (so just downstream of DF49) from the far east side of Poland, I'm afraid I don't know much of Poland's history but I don't think these two are likely to have resent German ancestry ?

  6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jdean For This Useful Post:

     Agamemnon (08-14-2017),  Kopfjäger (07-09-2017),  Power77 (08-17-2017),  rms2 (07-09-2017)

  7. #4
    Registered Users
    Posts
    395
    Sex
    Location
    USA
    Ethnicity
    British, German, Italian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-Z255
    mtDNA (M)
    HV4a1
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-U106

    England Italy Germany Scotland Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by rms2 View Post
    Is there a way we can see his results, FTDNA kit number, etc.?

    We've had R1b-L21 farther east, in Russia, but they were Volga Germans.
    Yeah, I probably should have posted that earlier. The kit number is E19070, and can be found in the Bulgarian DNA Project: https://www.familytreedna.com/public...frame=yresults.
    yDNA: R1b-BY17850 (England?)
    Maternal grandfather (MDKA: Johannes Nicholas Schaefer, Saxony-Anhalt, Germany) - yDNA: R1b-U106, mtDNA: T2b
    Maternal grandmother (MDKA: Angelina Centrella, Avellino, Campania, Italia) - mtDNA: HV4a1


    Administrator for Hidden Content , Hidden Content , and Hidden Content

  8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kopfjäger For This Useful Post:

     Agamemnon (08-14-2017),  jdean (07-09-2017),  Power77 (08-17-2017),  rms2 (07-09-2017)

  9. #5
    Registered Users
    Posts
    2,138
    Sex
    Location
    UK
    Nationality
    Welsh
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-DF49
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c2e

    European Union
    Quote Originally Posted by Kopfjäger View Post
    Yeah, I probably should have posted that earlier. The kit number is E19070, and can be found in the Bulgarian DNA Project: https://www.familytreedna.com/public...frame=yresults.
    He's got quite a close match with a bunch of R-L159 folk, including somebody in the Stephens-Stevens project.

  10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jdean For This Useful Post:

     Agamemnon (08-14-2017),  Power77 (08-17-2017),  rms2 (07-09-2017)

  11. #6
    Registered Users
    Posts
    395
    Sex
    Location
    USA
    Ethnicity
    British, German, Italian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-Z255
    mtDNA (M)
    HV4a1
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-U106

    England Italy Germany Scotland Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by jdean View Post
    He's got quite a close match with a bunch of R-L159 folk, including somebody in the Stephens-Stevens project.
    He initially joined the Z255 Project, but I wasn't expecting him to test positive for L21. Usually, such close matches with someone from Europe that far east are due to convergence. Is there still an L21 SNP pack he can take to confirm a potential subclade?
    yDNA: R1b-BY17850 (England?)
    Maternal grandfather (MDKA: Johannes Nicholas Schaefer, Saxony-Anhalt, Germany) - yDNA: R1b-U106, mtDNA: T2b
    Maternal grandmother (MDKA: Angelina Centrella, Avellino, Campania, Italia) - mtDNA: HV4a1


    Administrator for Hidden Content , Hidden Content , and Hidden Content

  12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kopfjäger For This Useful Post:

     Agamemnon (08-14-2017),  jdean (07-09-2017),  Power77 (08-17-2017),  rms2 (07-09-2017)

  13. #7
    Registered Users
    Posts
    2,138
    Sex
    Location
    UK
    Nationality
    Welsh
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-DF49
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c2e

    European Union
    Quote Originally Posted by Kopfjäger View Post
    He initially joined the Z255 Project, but I wasn't expecting him to test positive for L21. Usually, such close matches with someone from Europe that far east are due to convergence. Is there still an L21 SNP pack he can take to confirm a potential subclade?
    Yes indeed, the R1b - L21v2 SNP Pack is avalable for $119

    Also I quite agree regarding the need to be careful of convergence, I tend to discount 'matches' that are too close to WAMH as a matter of course and these L151 folk I mentioned mostly have 11 @ DYS442 against his 12

  14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jdean For This Useful Post:

     Agamemnon (08-14-2017),  Kopfjäger (07-09-2017),  Power77 (08-17-2017),  rms2 (07-09-2017)

  15. #8
    Registered Users
    Posts
    330
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Bulgarian
    mtDNA (M)
    T2

    Bulgaria
    Quote Originally Posted by jdean View Post
    Yes indeed, the R1b - L21v2 SNP Pack is avalable for $119

    Also I quite agree regarding the need to be careful of convergence, I tend to discount 'matches' that are too close to WAMH as a matter of course and these L151 folk I mentioned mostly have 11 @ DYS442 against his 12
    This person has ordered the Z255 panel at YSEQ and has been proven negative for all branches under it. So this not a recent British Isles connection, but something older on the Balkans. It is possible several Serbs from Eastern Serbia are àlso from this branch according to the Serbian DNA project. Could be connnected àlso to the Poles and some East European branch exists.
    Why don,t you sponsor Big Y as the price is too high for a Bulgarian student, he has tested in fact his grandfather.

    -Z255 Panel processing
    Z255+
    Z16437 C-
    Z16434 G-
    Z16433 C-
    Z16950 T-
    Z16431 T-
    A10318 G-
    A1236 G-
    BY2573 A-
    A8429 A-
    BY2680 A-
    A15515 A-
    A10639 A-
    S23035 G-
    A8449 C-
    A6525 T-
    BY13751 -

  16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to eastara For This Useful Post:

     Agamemnon (08-14-2017),  CillKenny (08-20-2017),  Kopfjäger (08-16-2017),  lgmayka (08-13-2017),  Michał (08-13-2017),  Power77 (08-17-2017),  rms2 (08-13-2017)

  17. #9
    Registered Users
    Posts
    2,385
    Sex
    Location
    Western Norway
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Nationality
    Norwegian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-FT71931
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b1b1(T16192C)
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-U152
    mtDNA (P)
    H13a1a

    Quote Originally Posted by rms2 View Post
    Is there a way we can see his results, FTDNA kit number, etc.?

    We've had R1b-L21 farther east, in Russia, but they were Volga Germans.
    Germans also settled in the Balkans:

    https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...22900386452784




    I have a number of matches from the Balkans that I assume is connected to German migrations, especially one recent match from Constanta, Romania..

  18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to evon For This Useful Post:

     Cinnamon orange (08-17-2017),  Kopfjäger (08-13-2017),  Power77 (08-17-2017)

  19. #10
    Banned
    Posts
    13,888
    Sex
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z253>BY93500
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

    Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by eastara View Post
    This person has ordered the Z255 panel at YSEQ and has been proven negative for all branches under it. So this not a recent British Isles connection, but something older on the Balkans. It is possible several Serbs from Eastern Serbia are àlso from this branch according to the Serbian DNA project. Could be connnected àlso to the Poles and some East European branch exists.
    Why don,t you sponsor Big Y as the price is too high for a Bulgarian student, he has tested in fact his grandfather.

    -Z255 Panel processing
    Z255+
    Z16437 C-
    Z16434 G-
    Z16433 C-
    Z16950 T-
    Z16431 T-
    A10318 G-
    A1236 G-
    BY2573 A-
    A8429 A-
    BY2680 A-
    A15515 A-
    A10639 A-
    S23035 G-
    A8449 C-
    A6525 T-
    BY13751 -
    That's a good idea. I don't know how much money is in the L21 Project general fund, but that sounds like a good cause to spend some of it on.

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

     Kopfjäger (08-16-2017),  Power77 (08-17-2017)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-11-2020, 05:57 PM
  2. Autosomal DNA of Bulgarian Turks
    By Alkaevli in forum Turkish
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-03-2018, 07:31 PM
  3. Banat Bulgarian Paulicians DNA
    By LPoropat in forum FTDNA
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-20-2017, 08:53 PM
  4. Bronze Age Bulgarian
    By Arame in forum Ancient (aDNA)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-30-2015, 09:00 AM
  5. Help determining Norwegian DNA match with Bulgarian
    By hintsu in forum Autosomal (auDNA)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-16-2015, 07:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •