Thread: Chinese 23andMe results (Chongqing guy with 1/4 Xi'An lineage)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Southwestern Chinese
    Nationality
    China
    Y-DNA (P)
    O2a2b
    mtDNA (M)
    M7b1a1b

China

Chinese 23andMe results (Chongqing guy with 1/4 Xi'An lineage)

99.5% East Asian and Native American
    93.8% Chinese
    2.8% Korean
    0.9% SE Asian
    1.9% Broadly East Asian
    0.1% Broadly East Asian and Native American

0.3% European
    0.1% Eastern European
    Less than 0.1% Broadly Southern European
    0.2% Broadly European

0.1% South Asian

0.1% Unassigned

O2a2b-M7b1a1b

10% Blonde
    CT wet earwax (common in southern China and SE Asia)
    3.4% Neanderthal

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to IJN_Kongou_Desu For This Useful Post:

evon (07-10-2017),  Mike_G (07-10-2017),  MonkeyDLuffy (07-11-2017),  Nibelung (07-10-2017),  nuplix (07-10-2017),  shazou (07-11-2017),  sktibo (07-10-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Southwestern Chinese
    Nationality
    China
    Y-DNA (P)
    O2a2b
    mtDNA (M)
    M7b1a1b

China
    Ancestry: 92% East Asian, 6% SE Asian / Polynesian, 2% Central Asian.
    Geno 2.0: 56% NE Asian, 44% SE Asian.
    FT DNA: 58% SE Asian (includes southern China), 41% NE Asian, less than 2% Siberian.
    DNA Land: 91% Central Chinese, 4.0% Japanese and Korean, 4.9% SE Asian.
    Doug McDonald: 80.3% Southern Chinese+19.7% East Asia (all subcontinents)
    WeGene: 58.81% Northern Han, 37.99% Sourhern Han, 1.73% Taiwanese Aborigine, 1.32% Kinh, 0.06% Miao, 0.02% She.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IJN_Kongou_Desu For This Useful Post:

Nibelung (07-10-2017),  nuplix (07-10-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Southwestern Chinese
    Nationality
    China
    Y-DNA (P)
    O2a2b
    mtDNA (M)
    M7b1a1b

China
    A bunch of thank yous without replies?

Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Sex

You're definitely a 99th percentile in terms of Neanderthal ancestry. 3.4% is pretty impressive. I excepted Southern Chinese to have more affinity with South-East Asians but based on your results It's not the case.
    Last edited by bryan; 07-10-2017 at 07:51 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Southwestern Chinese
    Nationality
    China
    Y-DNA (P)
    O2a2b
    mtDNA (M)
    M7b1a1b

China
    Many people who are southern Chinese in terms of geography aren't necessarily Southern by genetics. Plenty score nearly 100% or 100% Northern Han because their ancestors were migrants from the north who only married other migrants from the north. Throughout various periods of history, due to reasons such as invasion by nomadic tribes, there were large scale migrations from the Central Plains and Huabei regions to the south of the Yangtze River. What's perplexing to me is that in the old version of WeGene's ancestry composition I got more Southern Han than Northern Han. Also, East Asians on average tend to score more Neanderthal on average compared to other races so 3.0% and above for us Asians isn't rare at all.

I've often been mistaken for being non-Chinese. I've been mistaken for mixed, Indian, Uyghur, even Indonesian LOL. My mum has really light skin and so do I, while my dad has darker skin. I think I got the deep set eyes from him, as well as the allele for wet earwax (I am CT), which is common in southern China (once populated by the Yue peoples who were closer to SE Asians) and in SE Asia. I have a 10% chance of being blonde, which I've seen in the results of some other Chinese, including an adoptee also from Chongqing who is a DNA relative of mine.

I have big round-ish eyes, with these really dense, curly, and multi-layered eyelashes. One of my eyes has a visible crease. I don't have much body hair but there's a fair amount on my legs and around my belly button.

My long deceased maternal grandfather (from Xi'An) and some relatives on his side (also dead) were rumoured to have had murkier grey eyes, so I suspect a Central Asian connection as the northwest of China lay along the Silk Road. For a stretch, perhaps Pamiri or Tatar? (Tatars are a recognized ethnic minority in China, few in number, all in Xinjiang)

On Chromosome 22 (all Chinese except the Broadly European) I share a 12.7cM segment with a woman who is Czech on her paternal side. The predicted degree is fifth cousin. She has 0.2% Native American and 0.1% Broadly East Asian on the same chromosome but it is on the bottom segment while my 'Broadly' Euro is on the top. Assuming a genuine connection, could it be an ancient East Asian / Siberian ancestor who crossed the Bering Strait, or ancient North Eurasian? The rest of her AC is all European.

Go on imgur, search Bao3niang (my user profile), and you will find some photos of me. If you are experienced in physical anthropology please classify my phenotype (face, nose, cheekbones, brow ridge etc.) and tell me if there's anything not East / SE Asian looking to me. I'm curious if I have high / broad / prominent cheekbones.

Also, I can post my K7b, K12b, and Eurogenes K36 results if you want.
    Last edited by IJN_Kongou_Desu; 07-10-2017 at 08:57 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to IJN_Kongou_Desu For This Useful Post:

okarinaofsteiner (01-31-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mostly South Euro
    Nationality
    American

United States of America Italy
    What was your number of Neanderthal variants? I share with 1,414 people on 23andme, the most Neanderthal out of them has 345 variants.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Southwestern Chinese
    Nationality
    China
    Y-DNA (P)
    O2a2b
    mtDNA (M)
    M7b1a1b

China
    I have 275 variants (new version doesn't have percentages)

No alcohol flush.
    Last edited by IJN_Kongou_Desu; 07-10-2017 at 09:11 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to IJN_Kongou_Desu For This Useful Post:

fished (07-10-2017)