Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MyHeritage results are hit and miss.....

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North & Ionian Seas
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1 (P109)

England Italy Germany Scotland

MyHeritage results are hit and miss.....

My Heritage results from my ancestry raw DNA data are odd. is this a new calculator with a lot of working still going on?

72% English.

22% Irish/Scottish/Welsh.

4% Italian.

1% West Asian (which shows most of the middle east)

.9% North African.

Ancestry gave me similar on the Southern European, W.Asian, N. African, but gave me 24% West European. which "My Heritage" missed completely.

my mother is half German. I've traced it several generations back which the Ancestry 24% West European makes sense, but My Heritage missed completely. also, both of them are light on the Italian which should be higher based on my known ancestry. GEDmatch calculators show me at about 25% Italian and 25% German which is line with what I know.

anyone else do this upload and have mixed views?

From the various GEDmatch calculators.

Using 4 populations approximation:
    Belarusian + German_South + German_South + Tuscan @ 1.321496
    Albanian + English_South + Irish + Irish @ 1.338617
    English_South + German_South + Greek + Icelandic @ 1.376707
    Albanian + Dutch_South + English_South + Norwegian @ 1.377633
    British_Isles + C_Italian + CEU30 + Lithuanian @ 0.773760
    British_Isles + C_Italian + Cornwall + Lithuanian @ 0.831269

Mixed Mode Population Sharing:
    73.4% North_German + 26.6% Italian @ 1.56
    80.1% English + 19.9% Albanian @ 2.68
    85.1% English + 14.9% Greek @ 2.52
    71.2% English + 28.8% Macedonian @ 2.37
    79% North_German + 21% Spanish_Andalucia @ 2.23
    72.3% Irish + 27.7% Albanian @ 1.29
    68.5% English + 31.5% Montenegrian @ 2.63
    89.7% Mixed_Germanic + 10.3% Sicilian @ 1.61
    87.8% Orcadian + 12.2% S_Italian_Sicilian @ 1.74
    87.4% Orkney + 12.6% Sicilian @ 1.64
    87% Orkney + 13% S_Italian_Sicilian @ 1.78

Using 3 populations approximation:
    50% Dutch +25% Italian +25% Scottish @ 2.552180

maybe I don't understand the population groups here, but ive heard that the closer to "0" the group, the more accurate the ethnicity basing is. I also do not understand which is more accurate, the two, three, or four population grouping.
    Last edited by JerryS.; 07-16-2017 at 12:03 PM.

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by JerryS. View Post
    My Heritage results from my ancestry raw DNA data are odd. is this a new calculator with a lot of working still going on?

72% English.

22% Irish/Scottish/Welsh.

4% Italian.

1% West Asian (which shows most of the middle east)

.9% North African.

Ancestry gave me similar on the Southern European, W.Asian, N. African, but gave me 24% West European. which "My Heritage" missed completely.

my mother is half German. I've traced it several generations back which the Ancestry 24% West European makes sense, but My Heritage missed completely. also, both of them are light on the Italian which should be higher based on my known ancestry. GEDmatch calculators show me at about 25% Italian and 25% German which is line with what I know.

anyone else do this upload and have mixed views?

From the various GEDmatch calculators.

Using 4 populations approximation:
    Belarusian + German_South + German_South + Tuscan @ 1.321496
    Albanian + English_South + Irish + Irish @ 1.338617
    English_South + German_South + Greek + Icelandic @ 1.376707
    Albanian + Dutch_South + English_South + Norwegian @ 1.377633
    British_Isles + C_Italian + CEU30 + Lithuanian @ 0.773760
    British_Isles + C_Italian + Cornwall + Lithuanian @ 0.831269

Mixed Mode Population Sharing:
    73.4% North_German + 26.6% Italian @ 1.56
    80.1% English + 19.9% Albanian @ 2.68
    71.2% English + 28.8% Macedonian @ 2.37
    79% North_German + 21% Spanish_Andalucia @ 2.23
    72.3% Irish + 27.7% Albanian @ 1.29
    68.5% English + 31.5% Montenegrian @ 2.63
    89.7% Mixed_Germanic + 10.3% Sicilian @ 1.61
    87.8% Orcadian + 12.2% S_Italian_Sicilian @ 1.74
    87.4% Orkney + 12.6% Sicilian @ 1.64
    87% Orkney + 13% S_Italian_Sicilian @ 1.78

Using 3 populations approximation:
    50% Dutch +25% Italian +25% Scottish @ 2.552180

maybe I don't understand the population groups here, but ive heard that the closer to "0" the group, the more accurate the ethnicity basing is. I also do not understand which is more accurate, the two, three, or four population grouping.
    Hey Jerry 👋
    Did you try DNA land free upload as I mentioned last time we spoke?
    Concerning MyHeritage I had the same problem.. my uploaded AncestryDNA results came back ridiculously off with extra ethinicities and really inflated compared to my original AncestryDNA results and DNA land upload results.. they gave me a whopping 7.9 for the West Asian you mentioned (turkey and Iran)and 4.1 for Middle East which seems to encompass the levant and the Arabian peninsula as well as 1.8 North African which I have had not come up in any test before Autosomal upload or Saliva lol and they increased my Ashkenazi to 9.3 concerning all the above I only had 3% Middle East and 6% Ashkenazi on AncestryDNA results.
    I have just recently sent off a saliva sample to get myself tested properly with MyHeritage just as an experiment to see how close there results comeback to the upload I did with them from my AncestryDNA results..
    I have a suspicion that Autosomal uploads of raw data from one company to another will not give you as accurate a result as a genuine saliva sample.. this is only a theory mind you.. though in the next couple of months I will be able to either negate or confirm this theory.. will be happy to update you 👍
    Last edited by Claudio; 07-16-2017 at 06:50 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Claudio For This Useful Post:

JerryS. (10-14-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Latvian
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L20
    mtDNA (M)
    k1a4a1k

It put virtually all of my dad's non-Baltic to Irish/Scottish which seems pretty suspect, surely a bit is Finnish and while maybe a tiny bit could perhaps be Irish or such I'd think he'd likely have more German and/or Polish for his non-Baltic and some tests strongly hint, Balkan. So Myheritage more and more seems a bit obsessed with just mish-mashing all sorts of bits of this and that European outside of your main ancestry and just calling them Irish/Scottish hah.

MDLP16 actually seems a bit prone to this too.

They also gave him 1.8% North African which he hasn't gotten anywhere else. Could be that his bit of Balkan instead showed up here as Baltic+North African average?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Nationality
    British

United Kingdom Netherlands Mauritius Madagascar India China
    At the continent level myheritage isn't that far off for us but beyond that it is quite off in some areas. My mother's on Ancestry DNA Scandinavian is only 3% on my heritage it is 21.4% that's a pretty big difference! FTDNA had the same problem with myorigins they had her at 24% Scandinavian.
    Ethnogene: 51.4% NW European, 21.6% W European, 10.1% Southeastern African, 9.5% Southeast Asian, 4.4% South Asian, 2% Scandinavian, 1% East African
    Papertrail @ 2xggrandparents: 37.5% London, 25% Dorset, 25% Mauritius, 6.25% Netherlands, 6.25% Hampshire

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North & Ionian Seas
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1 (P109)

Quote Originally Posted by Claudio View Post
    Hey Jerry ��
    Did you try DNA land free upload as I mentioned last time we spoke?
    Concerning MyHeritage I had the same problem.. my uploaded AncestryDNA results came back ridiculously off with extra ethinicities and really inflated compared to my original AncestryDNA results and DNA land upload results.. they gave me a whopping 7.9 for the West Asian you mentioned (turkey and Iran)and 4.1 for Middle East which seems to encompass the levant and the Arabian peninsula as well as 1.8 North African which I have had not come up in any test before Autosomal upload or Saliva lol and they increased my Ashkenazi to 9.3 concerning all the above I only had 3% Middle East and 6% Ashkenazi on AncestryDNA results.
    I have just recently sent off a saliva sample to get myself tested properly with MyHeritage just as an experiment to see how close there results comeback to the upload I did with them from my AncestryDNA results..
    I have a suspicion that Autosomal uploads of raw data from one company to another will not give you as accurate a result as a genuine saliva sample.. this is only a theory mind you.. though in the next couple of months I will be able to either negate or confirm this theory.. will be happy to update you ��
    no, I did not do the DNAland. I figure with the FTDNA, Myheritage, and Ancestry DNA, what difference will another single mode calculator make? GEDmatch compiles several calculators each with a slight bias towards a certain region or population pool it seems.

This is why I asked for help specifically with the GEDmatch values...

Silver Class Member
    Sex
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA (M)
    T2B-T152C

England Scotland Austrian Empire Canada Quebec Netherlands
    In my experience MyHeritage is passable on the "Continental" level but completely fails to accurately separate English, Scandinavian, Irish/Scottish/Welsh with any degree of accuracy for myself and my father. Scandinavian in particular seems to be a problem, my father getting about 26% who has no Scandinavian ties, except for a little bit of Orkney Islands ancestry.. which probably shouldn't fall under Scandinavian anyhow. His Grandmother spoke Welsh as a first language, his Grandfather was born in Scotland, and he has other connections to Scotland from the other side of his family. Some of these are verified Highland lines, yet MyHeritage doesn't give him a sliver of Irish/Scottish/Welsh, while even Ancestry on the other hand does assign him a significant "Ireland" percentage. If we look at it from a "Continental" level (in quotations because it's not truly continental) it looks okay: 24.3% Iberian (MyHeritage's Iberia includes France, so in his case it is French) when he is about 16% French, so that is not too bad, especially considering it looks like he inherited more French DNA than his paper trail percentage. His total North and West Europe is 70.2% while his British ancestry is about 79-80% so that's not terrible either if we look at it from this perspective. For myself, I'm 18.4% "Iberian" and while I'm only 8.2% French on paper, like my father I think we inherited a disproportionately large amount of French DNA, so it's passable. I'm 61-62% total Great Britain and Ireland ancestry, and for North and West Europe it assigns me 63.6% between England and Scandinavia. Again, no Irish/Scottish/Welsh, which is weird as I have this on both sides of my family (see signature for paper ancestry) and other tests such as Living DNA do detect it. There is also no Scandinavian on my mother's side of the family either. I'm 25% Eastern German and Eastern European, MyHeritage gives me 17% Eastern Europe and I'm assuming both of these fall under this category, while it is a bit low it's not too far off.. 7.5% of this is Baltic and 9.5% is East European, I'm about 6% Eastern European on paper and 18-19% East German. So for both my father and myself on the "Continental" level this test isn't too bad, but when it tries to split the regions it fails.

@JerryS DNA.Land is fun but honestly I don't think it's worth your time if you want something with any degree of accuracy.
    Last edited by sktibo; 07-19-2017 at 05:31 PM.
    Flags represent known or paper trail ancestry from greatest to least:
    England, Scotland, Austro-Hungarian Empire, (Galicia Poland) French-Canadian, and Dutch American settlers.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North & Ionian Seas
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1 (P109)

Quote Originally Posted by sktibo View Post
    In my experience MyHeritage is passable on the "Continental" level but completely fails to accurately separate English, Scandinavian, Irish/Scottish/Welsh with any degree of accuracy for myself and my father. Scandinavian in particular seems to be a problem, my father getting about 26% who has no Scandinavian ties, except for a little bit of Orkney Islands ancestry.. which probably shouldn't fall under Scandinavian anyhow. His Grandmother spoke Welsh as a first language, his Grandfather was born in Scotland, and he has other connections to Scotland from the other side of his family. Some of these are verified Highland lines, yet MyHeritage doesn't give him a sliver of Irish/Scottish/Welsh, while even Ancestry on the other hand does assign him a significant "Ireland" percentage. If we look at it from a "Continental" level (in quotations because it's not truly continental) it looks okay: 24.3% Iberian (MyHeritage's Iberia includes France, so in his case it is French) when he is about 16% French, so that is not too bad, especially considering it looks like he inherited more French DNA than his paper trail percentage. His total North and West Europe is 70.2% while his British ancestry is about 79-80% so that's not terrible either if we look at it from this perspective. For myself, I'm 18.4% "Iberian" and while I'm only 8.2% French on paper, like my father I think we inherited a disproportionately large amount of French DNA, so it's passable. I'm 61-62% total Great Britain and Ireland ancestry, and for North and West Europe it assigns me 63.6% between England and Scandinavia. Again, no Irish/Scottish/Welsh, which is weird as I have this on both sides of my family (see signature for paper ancestry) and other tests such as Living DNA do detect it. There is also no Scandinavian on my mother's side of the family either. I'm 25% Eastern German and Eastern European, MyHeritage gives me 17% Eastern Europe and I'm assuming both of these fall under this category, while it is a bit low it's not too far off.. 7.5% of this is Baltic and 9.5% is East European, I'm about 6% Eastern European on paper and 18-19% East German. So for both my father and myself on the "Continental" level this test isn't too bad, but when it tries to split the regions it fails.

@JerryS DNA.Land is fun but honestly I don't think it's worth your time if you want something with any degree of accuracy.
    yes sir, that seems to be the case. the various GEDmatch calculators seem to be within reason. my known ancestry is 50% English (Kent and Shropshire, with one Scotsman about 4 generations back), 25% German (Bremen, including two German speaking Swiss nationals) and 25% Italian (from the Crotone province of Calabria).

that said, I can see how English and Scottish can be indistinguishable being only a political border between the two, and the northern German can be Dutch for the same reason, as well as the Italian showing Greek or Balkan states on occasion because each region had influence on Crotone.

im just trying to find confirmation by those in the know that I am interpreting the data correctly.

Silver Class Member
    Sex
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA (M)
    T2B-T152C

England Scotland Austrian Empire Canada Quebec Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryS. View Post
    yes sir, that seems to be the case. the various GEDmatch calculators seem to be within reason. my known ancestry is 50% English (Kent and Shropshire, with one Scotsman about 4 generations back), 25% German (Bremen, including two German speaking Swiss nationals) and 25% Italian (from the Crotone province of Calabria).

that said, I can see how English and Scottish can be indistinguishable being only a political border between the two, and the northern German can be Dutch for the same reason, as well as the Italian showing Greek or Balkan states on occasion because each region had influence on Crotone.

im just trying to find confirmation by those in the know that I am interpreting the data correctly.
    Yes it's tough to pull apart the different British Isles countries, but the other tests (Ancestry and especially Living DNA) are better at doing this than MyHeritage is IMO.
    I'm sure people must have suggested this before, but if you want the most accurate look at how your genetic ancestry is split up 23andme is a must I think
    Flags represent known or paper trail ancestry from greatest to least:
    England, Scotland, Austro-Hungarian Empire, (Galicia Poland) French-Canadian, and Dutch American settlers.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sktibo For This Useful Post:

Mike_G (07-20-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Croat
    Nationality
    Croatian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-YP371-BY128997
    mtDNA (M)
    HV11a

Netherlands Noord-Brabant Croatia Croatia Split-Dalmatia Austrian Empire
    With 0.9 Ethnicity Estimate version I had, among others 4.5% Jewish Ashkenazi and 0.8% Central American!

With 0.95 both of them dissapeared.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Basta For This Useful Post:

kingjohn (07-22-2017)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Welsh/Spanish
    Nationality
    British/Spanish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b1a1a2a1a2c
    mtDNA (M)
    H2a2a1f

Spain Wales England
    Same here I find My Heritage a bit hit and miss from the other testing companies. I got 7% North African, but only trace amounts in the other companies such as 23andme and ancestry and FTDNA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast