Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does LivingDNA always seems to find South Asian?

Registered Users
    Sex

Why does LivingDNA always seems to find South Asian?

I've noticed that most results seem to have a small percentage of South Asian as did mine did at 1.1% Sindhi. I don't get South Asian anywhere else.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V13
    mtDNA (M)
    H24a1

Ireland Germany Cornwall Scotland Switzerland Netherlands
    I think it is partially how they classify "South Asian" many of the populations included in their South Asian group are considered Middle Eastern or West Asian in other products. I think the fact that they also have more population groups within this small region make it more likely to match whether correct or not. Most people I've seen lose their south asian populations on standard or cautious mode. Mine becomes more general with a "-related" group. We'll have to see how the algorithm evolves over time.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to greerpalmer For This Useful Post:

evon (07-16-2017),  lilac9 (07-16-2017),  [email protected] (07-16-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    U106 Z326 R-BY27310
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c1b2a

United Kingdom Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by lilac9 View Post
    I've noticed that most results seem to have a small percentage of South Asian as did mine did at 1.1% Sindhi. I don't get South Asian anywhere else.
    I've had South Asian on various tests, Living DNA too, Kalash, Baloch, Burusho etc. My ancestry is all British as far as I know.
    I think isolated populations have higher proportions of early ancestry DNA-wise. I tend to get Basque and Sardinian for the same reason I think
    I also get Turkic or Steppe Turkic on different calculators. Why I get these, I just don't know, but I don't think it is at all recent. John

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnHowellsTyrfro For This Useful Post:

chelle (08-11-2017),  lilac9 (07-16-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Nationality
    Norwegian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-FT71931
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b1b1(T16192C)
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-U152
    mtDNA (P)
    H13a1a

I would guess it is a remnant of the old problem that early admixture calculations had, and that it can be considered Eurasian rather than south Asian, possibly something to do with the Indo-European language spread, or the Neolithic.. ANE is also a candidate of course, but that usually comes out as Native American or north Asian in Europeans..

7. The Following User Says Thank You to evon For This Useful Post:

JohnHowellsTyrfro (07-17-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by greerpalmer View Post
    I think it is partially how they classify "South Asian" many of the populations included in their South Asian group are considered Middle Eastern or West Asian in other products. I think the fact that they also have more population groups within this small region make it more likely to match whether correct or not. Most people I've seen lose their south asian populations on standard or cautious mode. Mine becomes more general with a "-related" group. We'll have to see how the algorithm evolves over time.
    I also lose the Sindhi on standard and cautious modes. It just goes to World unassigned.

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by evon View Post
    I would guess it is a remnant of the old problem that early admixture calculations had, and that it can be considered Eurasian rather than south Asian, possibly something to do with the Indo-European language spread, or the Neolithic.. ANE is also a candidate of course, but that usually comes out as Native American or north Asian in Europeans..
    I was wondering the same thing since I do have Native-American and I usually get 9% of it unlike the 7.8% I got on LivingDNA.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Nationality
    Norwegian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-FT71931
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b1b1(T16192C)
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-U152
    mtDNA (P)
    H13a1a

I was wondering the same thing since I do have Native-American and I usually get 9% of it unlike the 7.8% I got on LivingDNA.
    You could ask LivingDNA about it, but I think most testers are aware that this is, in most cases, not actual south Asian ancestry.. But yes they should inform about this "issue" on their page...

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V13
    mtDNA (M)
    H24a1

Ireland Germany Cornwall Scotland Switzerland Netherlands
    I have put an inquiry in with living DNA regarding population samples and sizes. I will share when I hear back.

Since my Pashtun remains "Pashtun-related" in all 3 modes, I'm curious if it isn't due to a lack of samples in the database for another population and not due to a lack of Pashtun samples.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    U106 Z326 R-BY27310
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c1b2a

United Kingdom Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by evon View Post
    That makes sense, I get around 1% Native American on some calculators and Living DNA gives me about 1% Sardinian. Strange that it shows through in some "modern" people and not others. John

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    U106 Z326 R-BY27310
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c1b2a

United Kingdom Wales
    That percentage looks quite high to be just a remnant of something very early? John

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast