Sex
    Ethnicity
    North & Ionian Sea
    Nationality
    American

England Germany Italy Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Tįltos View Post
    Basta is one of my lines too

EDIT-I also recently matched a Basta closely from my line at 23andme. I am asking them to test their brother or nephew at FTDNA for the Y.
    that would really be something if you are related to Tizy!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JerryS. For This Useful Post:

Tįltos (11-03-2017)

Global Moderator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Baloch Kashmiri Uzbek Kho
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R-Y17491 > R-YP4858
    mtDNA
    A8a

Pakistan United States of America
    “Chahar chez est tohfay Multan, Gard-o- Garma, Gada-o- Goristan”.

Four things are the gift of Multan: Dusty winds, hot seasons, beggars and graveyards.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to khanabadoshi For This Useful Post:

bpr (11-13-2018),  Tįltos (11-21-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    EV13>Z5018>FGC33625
    mtDNA
    U1a1a

Albania Kosovo
    Quote Originally Posted by khanabadoshi View Post
    Jesus, Albanians are showing up more Greek than Albanians on 23andme? I know this is Dibran's test as I also saw it on eupedia.

Something urgent needs to be done about labelling the massive Arvanite population in Greece that got assimilated and list themselves as Greek on these tests and skew the results entirely.

Greeks with Arvanite ancestry need to start specifying Arvanite Greek or something when doing these tests otherwise european history is just being obfuscated.
    Last edited by Administrator; 12-09-2018 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Political comment removed

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bpr For This Useful Post:

Gheg (12-02-2018),  Tįltos (11-21-2018)

Global Moderator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R-Y17491 > R-YP4858
    mtDNA
    A8a

Quote Originally Posted by bpr View Post
    Jesus, Albanians are showing up more Greek than Albanians on 23andme? I know this is Dibran's test as I also saw it on eupedia.

Something urgent needs to be done about labelling the massive Arvanite population in Greece that got assimilated and list themselves as Greek on these tests and skew the results entirely.

Greeks with Arvanite ancestry need to start specifying Arvanite Greek or something when doing these tests otherwise european history is just being obfuscated.
    No, this isn't Dibran's test, this is my friend's results. I just got them. Which admixture calculators should I run? They are Gheg from Macedonia, not Albania...so maybe that plays a factor?
    Last edited by Administrator; 12-09-2018 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Political comment in quote removed only

Four things are the gift of Multan: Dusty winds, hot seasons, beggars and graveyards.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to khanabadoshi For This Useful Post:

bpr (11-13-2018),  Tįltos (11-21-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    EV13>Z5018>FGC33625
    mtDNA
    U1a1a

Albania Kosovo
    No, this isn't Dibran's test, this is my friend's results. I just got them. Which admixture calculators should I run? They are Gheg from Macedonia, not Albania...so maybe that plays a factor?
    Oh my, well Dibran also got Greek before Albanian and I thought it was his. No it's not that he is a Gheg from Macedonia. There is a large (now mostly assimilated) Arvanite population in Greece that skews mainland Greeks towards Albanians.

In 1861 for example Arvanites are said to be 200,000 in Greece ( Source: http://www.albanianhistory.net/1861_Finlay/index.html ) with other sources saying much more.

I don't know about which calculators, I did my test with LivingDNA and tried them all tbh. My closest matches after Albanians usually are Greek mainlanders and Tuscans.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bpr For This Useful Post:

Gheg (12-02-2018),  khanabadoshi (11-13-2018),  Tįltos (11-21-2018)

Global Moderator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R-Y17491 > R-YP4858
    mtDNA
    A8a

Oh my, well Dibran also got Greek before Albanian and I thought it was his. No it's not that he is a Gheg from Macedonia. There is a large (now mostly assimilated) Arvanite population in Greece that skews mainland Greeks towards Albanians.

In 1861 for example Arvanites are said to be 200,000 in Greece ( Source: http://www.albanianhistory.net/1861_Finlay/index.html ) with other sources saying much more.

I don't know about which calculators, I did my test with LivingDNA and tried them all tbh. My closest matches after Albanians usually are Greek mainlanders and Tuscans.
    Ohh, I was saying the person whose results I posted is a Gheg from Macedonia, I am not familiar enough with Balkan genetics to know how strong Albanians cluster -- ie. do they differ autosomally based on geography/tribe? Are some Albanians mixed? Like do some Albanians have a Slavic, Turkish, Greek, or Italian affinity? So far on most Gedmatch calculators, the number 1 population is showing Tuscan, even with calculators that have an Albanian average. One calculator showed Kosovar as the top population, so I'm not sure how I should help interpret the results for them. Maybe I'll have a Global25 test done for them.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to khanabadoshi For This Useful Post:

bpr (11-13-2018),  Gheg (12-02-2018),  Tįltos (11-21-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    EV13>Z5018>FGC33625
    mtDNA
    U1a1a

Albania Kosovo
    Ohh, I was saying the person whose results I posted is a Gheg from Macedonia, I am not familiar enough with Balkan genetics to know how strong Albanians cluster -- ie. do they differ autosomally based on geography/tribe? Are some Albanians mixed? Like do some Albanians have a Slavic, Turkish, Greek, or Italian affinity? So far on most Gedmatch calculators, the number 1 population is showing Tuscan, even with calculators that have an Albanian average. One calculator showed Kosovar as the top population, so I'm not sure how I should help interpret the results for them. Maybe I'll have a Global25 test done for them.
    I'm also a Gheg (from Kosova) and also cluster with mainland Greeks. There isn't any historical explanation for why northerner Gheg Albanians would cluster with Mainland Greeks, whereas the Arvanite presence in mainland Greece explains this sufficiently imo. Some of the 19th Century German anthropologists visiting Greece said some things or two about this.

Even mainstream news has covered it: "However, the data from the international team of scientists found a startling exception: mainland Greeks, who seem to be genetically closer to Albanians than to their brethren in the Greek islands"

LINK: https://www.haaretz.com/archaeology/...ages-1.5489323

Most Albanians cluster with each other before they do with any other group. (highest IBD according to Ralph and Coop). There is negligible differentiation between tribes autosomally.

Kosovar isn't an ethnicity. 95% of the population of Kosova is Albanian so that Kosovar that showed up is almost certainly just an Albanian.

The Tuscan thing is actually very interesting and needs to be investigated further to see what historically causes this as I can't think of it personally without resorting to Zecharia Mayani {1} type theories. I also score often close to Tuscans, and many other Albanians do, I am yet to see someone explain this sufficiently.

If you end up getting the global 25 please post it here, would love to see!

1. Zecharia Mayani's book Les Etrusques commencent a parler (The Etruscans Begin to Speak) put forth a thesis with reconstructions that the Etruscan language of antiquity had links to the Albanian language.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bpr For This Useful Post:

Gheg (12-02-2018),  khanabadoshi (11-13-2018),  Tįltos (11-21-2018)

Global Moderator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R-Y17491 > R-YP4858
    mtDNA
    A8a

I'm also a Gheg (from Kosova) and also cluster with mainland Greeks. There isn't any historical explanation for why northerner Gheg Albanians would cluster with Mainland Greeks, whereas the Arvanite presence in mainland Greece explains this sufficiently imo. Some of the 19th Century German anthropologists visiting Greece said some things or two about this.

Even mainstream news has covered it: "However, the data from the international team of scientists found a startling exception: mainland Greeks, who seem to be genetically closer to Albanians than to their brethren in the Greek islands"

LINK: https://www.haaretz.com/archaeology/...ages-1.5489323

Most Albanians cluster with each other before they do with any other group. (highest IBD according to Ralph and Coop). There is negligible differentiation between tribes autosomally.

Kosovar isn't an ethnicity. 95% of the population of Kosova is Albanian so that Kosovar that showed up is almost certainly just an Albanian.

The Tuscan thing is actually very interesting and needs to be investigated further to see what historically causes this as I can't think of it personally without resorting to Zecharia Mayani {1} type theories. I also score often close to Tuscans, and many other Albanians do, I am yet to see someone explain this sufficiently.

If you end up getting the global 25 please post it here, would love to see!

1. Zecharia Mayani's book Les Etrusques commencent a parler (The Etruscans Begin to Speak) put forth a thesis with reconstructions that the Etruscan language of antiquity had links to the Albanian language.
    Thank you very much, that was helpful information. I will definitely do the Global25 soon and post it. Have other Albanians done it? It'll be nice to compare.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to khanabadoshi For This Useful Post:

bpr (11-13-2018),  Dibran (11-30-2018),  Tįltos (11-21-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    EV13>Z5018>FGC33625
    mtDNA
    U1a1a

Albania Kosovo
    Thank you very much, that was helpful information. I will definitely do the Global25 soon and post it. Have other Albanians done it? It'll be nice to compare.
    I'm not sure, I think Dibran might know better than me:

https://anthrogenica.com/member.php?7372-Dibran

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bpr For This Useful Post:

Dibran (11-30-2018),  khanabadoshi (11-13-2018)

Administrator
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    Q-BZ68
    mtDNA
    H23

Italy Two Sicilies Germany Palatinate Lithuania Poland Slovakia

With 23andme's update my mother's only Balkan match is Greece-Likely Match. For me I got Greece-Possible Match. Albania was not detected for either of us now.
    Maternal Grandfather's Y Line: J-ZS1711

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Tįltos For This Useful Post:

khanabadoshi (11-21-2018)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast