Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Spanish & Hispanic subforum

  1. #1
    Registered Users
    Posts
    1,131
    Sex
    Location
    Netherlands
    Ethnicity
    Celtiberian
    Nationality
    Spanish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-Y22889
    mtDNA (M)
    H3-T152C!

    Spain Andalucia Spanish Empire (1506-1701)

    Question Spanish & Hispanic subforum

    Hello all,

    After having several interesting conversations around population genetics in the context of medieval Spain and other topics around Spain and Hispanic America in subforums that had nothing to do with the subject, I was wondering if it is possible to have an specific subforum for them. It would also appeal those Spanish-Speaking people interested in genetic genealogy that aren't fluent in English.

    However, taking into consideration the big amount of hispanics in USA that haven't got Spanish as first language, I'd like it to be mostly bilingual and allow the use of both Spanish and English and even other Iberian or native american languages.

    (Actually I find surprising that such a space hasn't been requested yet)

  2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Shadogowah For This Useful Post:

     Angoliga (10-19-2017),  djvnet (10-20-2017),  Jaime Conde (10-28-2017),  khanabadoshi (10-29-2017),  lilac9 (10-20-2017),  Massam (10-20-2017),  mcornejo (10-18-2017),  MikeWhalen (10-17-2017),  Vicmalaga (10-17-2017)

  3. #2
    Registered Users
    Posts
    4,743
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R2a*-M124 (L295-)
    mtDNA (M)
    D4j5*

    Hi,

    We did have a Spanish sub-forum for at least a year. Unfortunately, it wasn't very active. The administration decided to withdraw it from public viewing.

    If you are interested in actively contributing to the section and if other members are also willing to, we'll consider re-opening it.

    Members - Please give this post a "thanks" if you're interested!

  4. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to DMXX For This Useful Post:

     alefaro62 (10-19-2017),  ArmandoR1b (07-24-2017),  cmfiallos (10-25-2017),  Contemplator (08-06-2017),  crossover (07-26-2017),  Gray Fox (07-25-2017),  Jaime Conde (10-28-2017),  lilac9 (10-20-2017),  Massam (10-20-2017),  mcornejo (10-18-2017),  Menchaca (10-24-2017),  MikeWhalen (10-17-2017),  Ricimer (08-11-2017),  Shadogowah (07-24-2017),  Táltos (07-25-2017),  Trixster (10-17-2017),  Vicmalaga (10-17-2017)

  5. #3
    Registered Users
    Posts
    1,131
    Sex
    Location
    Netherlands
    Ethnicity
    Celtiberian
    Nationality
    Spanish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-Y22889
    mtDNA (M)
    H3-T152C!

    Spain Andalucia Spanish Empire (1506-1701)
    Quote Originally Posted by DMXX View Post
    Hi,

    We did have a Spanish sub-forum for at least a year. Unfortunately, it wasn't very active. The administration decided to withdraw it from public viewing.

    If you are interested in actively contributing to the section and if other members are also willing to, we'll consider re-opening it.

    Members - Please give this post a "thanks" if you're interested!
    Thanks DMXX. I didn't know there was already a subforum for it in the past.

    I am actually interested and I think I am not the only one.

  6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shadogowah For This Useful Post:

     DMXX (07-24-2017),  Gray Fox (07-25-2017),  Táltos (07-25-2017),  Vicmalaga (10-17-2017)

  7. #4
    Registered Users
    Posts
    4,743
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R2a*-M124 (L295-)
    mtDNA (M)
    D4j5*

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadogowah View Post
    Thanks DMXX. I didn't know there was already a subforum for it in the past.

    I am actually interested and I think I am not the only one.
    No problem! We have a handful of old International Area subsections that have been retired due to complete inactivity. Needless clutter on the index.

    That being said, we're aware times change, and we are very happy to provide a supply where there is demand.

  8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DMXX For This Useful Post:

     Gray Fox (07-25-2017),  Jaime Conde (11-03-2017),  MikeWhalen (10-17-2017),  Shadogowah (07-24-2017),  Táltos (07-25-2017),  Vicmalaga (10-19-2017)

  9. #5
    Registered Users
    Posts
    26
    Sex
    Location
    New Mexico
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    Brazil, Italy
    mtDNA (M)
    H3g

    Brazil Italy Italy Veneto Spain Portugal Switzerland
    I'm new in Anthrogenica and DNA investigation, and since I started this is the type of forum I've been trying to find. I am sure it will be useful for other Brazilians too. As for language, I personally find appropriated a multi-lingual thread. Many don't write in Spanish but are able to read, and also it wouldn't rule out those who express better in Spanish. And we can always find help to go from one language to another.

    I'm on a search for my granfather's family, from Málaga, and we have a suspicion the family changed their names when emigrated to Brazil, so DNA is my main resource - although I still don't know what I'm doing.
    Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, Swiss, all mixed together to make a real Brazilian. Trying to find the history of my Spanish side for decades, now on DNA as a last resource. I think my grandfather's family changed names when they immigrated. Hidden Content I accept help. Anyone from Málaga over here? Hidden Content Tested on 23andMe, v.5 chip not compatible anywhere else yet.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vicmalaga For This Useful Post:

     khanabadoshi (10-29-2017),  MikeWhalen (10-17-2017)

  11. #6
    Prefer English but would visit one in Spanish if it was created.

  12. #7
    Registered Users
    Posts
    1,131
    Sex
    Location
    Netherlands
    Ethnicity
    Celtiberian
    Nationality
    Spanish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-Y22889
    mtDNA (M)
    H3-T152C!

    Spain Andalucia Spanish Empire (1506-1701)
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperCapitalista View Post
    Prefer English but would visit one in Spanish if it was created.
    In my first post:

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadogowah View Post
    Hello all,

    After having several interesting conversations around population genetics in the context of medieval Spain and other topics around Spain and Hispanic America in subforums that had nothing to do with the subject, I was wondering if it is possible to have an specific subforum for them. It would also appeal those Spanish-Speaking people interested in genetic genealogy that aren't fluent in English.

    However, taking into consideration the big amount of hispanics in USA that haven't got Spanish as first language, I'd like it to be mostly bilingual and allow the use of both Spanish and English and even other Iberian or native american languages.

    (Actually I find surprising that such a space hasn't been requested yet)
    Thus, both.
    Do you have a question or topic about genetics in Spain and/or prefer to use Spanish language? Visit the new subforum!

    Hidden Content

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shadogowah For This Useful Post:

     ArmandoR1b (10-20-2017),  Vicmalaga (10-19-2017)

  14. #8
    Registered Users
    Posts
    2,289
    Sex
    Location
    Canada
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Euro/Near East
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-YP4516/YP4807*
    mtDNA (M)
    H11a2a3

    Canada Franco-Manitoban European Union Ottoman Empire Russia Imperial United States Grand Union
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicmalaga View Post
    I'm new in Anthrogenica and DNA investigation, and since I started this is the type of forum I've been trying to find. I am sure it will be useful for other Brazilians too. As for language, I personally find appropriated a multi-lingual thread. Many don't write in Spanish but are able to read, and also it wouldn't rule out those who express better in Spanish. And we can always find help to go from one language to another.

    I'm on a search for my granfather's family, from Málaga, and we have a suspicion the family changed their names when emigrated to Brazil, so DNA is my main resource - although I still don't know what I'm doing.
    Our Portuguese section is certainly a fair bit busier than our Spanish section ever was:

    http://www.anthrogenica.com/forumdis...179-Portuguese

    That being said, a bilingual section might attract more activity, because there are a large number of 2nd/3rd generation Americans and beyond with Spanish roots.
     

    Other ancestral Y lines:

    E1b-M81 Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    E1b-V13 England
    I1-M253 Ireland
    I2-M423 Ukraine
    R1a-L176.1 Scotland
    R1b-L584 Syria/Turkey (Sephardi)
    R1b-L20 Ireland
    R1b-L21 (1)England; (2)Wales?>Connecticut
    R1b-L48 England
    R1b-P312 Scotland
    R1b-FGC32576 Ireland

    Other ancestral mtDNA lines:

    H1b2a Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    H6a1a3 Ukraine
    K1a9 Belarus (Ashkenazi)
    K1c2 Ireland
    V7a Ukraine

  15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AJL For This Useful Post:

     Angoliga (10-19-2017),  DMXX (10-20-2017),  Vicmalaga (10-19-2017)

  16. #9
    Registered Users
    Posts
    26
    Sex
    Location
    New Mexico
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    Brazil, Italy
    mtDNA (M)
    H3g

    Brazil Italy Italy Veneto Spain Portugal Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by AJL View Post
    Our Portuguese section is certainly a fair bit busier than our Spanish section ever was:

    http://www.anthrogenica.com/forumdis...179-Portuguese

    That being said, a bilingual section might attract more activity, because there are a large number of 2nd/3rd generation Americans and beyond with Spanish roots.
    Thanks for the link to the Portuguese thread, it is useful to me, but as I said, I'm looking for my Spanish side of the family. I find many resources on Portugal, but surprisingly not much on Spain. I hope more people get to know about this forum so we can have more exchange on Spain.
    Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, Swiss, all mixed together to make a real Brazilian. Trying to find the history of my Spanish side for decades, now on DNA as a last resource. I think my grandfather's family changed names when they immigrated. Hidden Content I accept help. Anyone from Málaga over here? Hidden Content Tested on 23andMe, v.5 chip not compatible anywhere else yet.

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vicmalaga For This Useful Post:

     AJL (10-20-2017),  ArmandoR1b (10-20-2017)

  18. #10
    Junior Member
    Posts
    1
    Sex
    Location
    Frederick, Maryland, USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-Y83825
    mtDNA (M)
    V10a

    Spanish Empire (1506-1701) Spain
    Same here - new to Anthrogenica and hoping it will help me learn how to determine how my clan made it to Spain...

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to djvnet For This Useful Post:

     Shadogowah (10-20-2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-30-2016, 07:38 PM
  2. Pan-Celtic Subforum
    By rms2 in forum Suggestions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-01-2015, 01:22 AM
  3. The Ancient DNA Subforum
    By rms2 in forum Suggestions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-23-2014, 01:13 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •