Y-DNA (P)
    E-V32>E-FT385910
    mtDNA (M)
    L0a1d1*
    Y-DNA (M)
    T-FGC92488

Somaliland Adal Sultanate Yemen African Union Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Mujahid Nur Marehan View Post
    I oploaded my sample a week ago, I'm Marehan reer ugaas Diini, my sub clade is E-Y163949*. Marehan we are treu Darod, its a Garre sample my friend just told me.
    Makes sense that the sample is Garre and not Marexaan.The Garre today are basically Oromos with their own unique identity and speak Boran as their first language.The other Garre sample in the ftdna project seems similar to the deep tested Garre based on the strs.I think that Garre on yfull will form young subclade with the Borana.The Amhara sample probably represents the original Barentu E-V32 lineage.Hopefully some of the Oromos start taking the BigY or Dante as they are the largest cushitic ethnicity in the world and a group quite close to us Somalis (LE Cushitic and heavy historical interactions with a long ethnic border)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to drobbah For This Useful Post:

farjanomar (07-16-2021),  NetNomad (07-11-2021),  Omaar (07-14-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by drobbah View Post
    Makes sense that the sample is Garre and not Marexaan.The Garre today are basically Oromos with their own unique identity and speak Boran as their first language.The other Garre sample in the ftdna project seems similar to the deep tested Garre based on the strs.I think that Garre on yfull will form young subclade with the Borana.The Amhara sample probably represents the original Barentu E-V32 lineage.Hopefully some of the Oromos start taking the BigY or Dante as they are the largest cushitic ethnicity in the world and a group quite close to us Somalis (LE Cushitic and heavy historical interactions with a long ethnic border)
    Are Oromos tribally paternal like Somalis or do they identify more with their town/region and have regional identities?

From the Y studies I have seen of Horners, it seems like only Sahos, Afars, and Somalis are heavily bottlenecked paternally. Perhaps also North Kenyan Boranas, but the sample size of them was small. Ethiopian Oromos seem paternally more diverse/less bottlenecked.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NetNomad For This Useful Post:

drobbah (07-13-2021),  Omaar (07-14-2021)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Omitted
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V32>E-FT385910
    mtDNA (M)
    L0a1d1*
    Y-DNA (M)
    T-FGC92488

Quote Originally Posted by NetNomad View Post
    Are Oromos tribally paternal like Somalis or do they identify more with their town/region and have regional identities?
    Oromos just like Somalis are tribally paternal.The name of their ethnic group just like Somalis goes back to their mythical ancestor Oromo who had two sons Barentu & Boran, the only difference between us and them is that they are openly willing to assimilate foreign males into the Oromo nation via the Gadaa system.Somalis are far more xenophobic culturally then the Oromos.

From the Y studies I have seen of Horners, it seems like only Sahos, Afars, and Somalis are heavily bottlenecked paternally. Perhaps also North Kenyan Boranas, but the sample size of them was small. Ethiopian Oromos seem paternally more diverse/less bottlenecked.
    The Ethiopian Oromos are also autosomally more diverse as well and this all goes back to the Medieval Oromo migrations and the assimilation of many ethnic groups through the Gadaa system.I won't be surprised if we find Somali-specific lineages among the Afran Qallo Oromos excluding their Akichu & Jaarso brothers.I predict that E-Y161124 would be one of the original and perhaps dominant lineage of the pre-expansion Oromo pastoralist clans which is why the Amhara sample carries it.The Habesha/Northern Cushitic variant of E-V32 seems to solidly be E-FGC14383 as the basal ETH sample is actually an Agaw speaking Ethiopian Jew if I'm not mistaken
    Last edited by drobbah; 07-13-2021 at 02:39 PM.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to drobbah For This Useful Post:

farjanomar (07-13-2021),  Farroukh (07-15-2021),  NetNomad (07-14-2021),  Omaar (07-14-2021),  Targum (07-13-2021)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Omitted
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V32>E-FT385910
    mtDNA (M)
    L0a1d1*
    Y-DNA (M)
    T-FGC92488

Some quotes from a book I was reading about Oromos:

There is no exact Oromo term for clan.The closer term is Gosa, which is not just a clan, but 'a large category of descent groups which includes all peoples descended from a mythical or common ancestor.Gosa is also 'one of the mechanisms for defining individual and collective identity' within Oromo society...Together with with the Gadaa systme and Qaalluu institution, gosa appears to have shaped the course of Oromo history.Members of a gosa have rights and obligations for helping each other in different situations.As Paul Baxter observed among the Borana, members of a gosa should render each other every sort of assistance, contributions to fines, hospitality,help with herding, gifts in misfortune and distributions from fortunes of booty

It was precisely for these reasons that young boys were taught about family tree within a gosa.According to Haberland, a boy of five years knows the names of his forefathers to the depth of 12 to 15 generations. The basic rules of gosa include descent through paternal line, strict exogamous marriage, territorially defined area that bears a name of a particular gosa

Seems quite similar to Somalis if you ask me

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to drobbah For This Useful Post:

farjanomar (07-14-2021),  NetNomad (07-14-2021),  Omaar (07-14-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Horner
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-BY203771
    mtDNA (M)
    L2a1

United States of America Somalia
    Quote Originally Posted by drobbah View Post
    I think these myths of Arabian/Hashemite origins among Daroods & Isaaqs is quite recent.There is no mention of Arabian/Quraishi origin of the Daaroods in the Futuh Al Habasha.The Marexaan leader had to give up horses (sadaqa) to actual Arabian 'Quraishis' like the Ba'alawi as a way to pay blood money for a dead Adalite messenger

The Futuh mentions decent sized contigents of Mehri men with similar manpower to large sized modern Somali subclans and even brought more men then the Harti.The vast majority of these Mehri due to geographic proximity were likely absorbed by the Hartis and nearby Somalis.It is quite possible the other non-Harti J-P58 Somalis are just Mehri who were adopted into the clan system including some in the Madhibaan

The E-M183 non-coastal Sheikhaal are a great example of medieval foreign men (who's Maghrebi sheikh ancestors were mentioned in the Futuh) creating their own clan and end up being Somalianized.I suspect their are certain Isaaq subclans and sub-units that will turn out foreign as Megatron pointed out J1 in an HJ individual (probably Mehri type).

I already suspect the Arap subclan who are E-V22 & E-M78* to be foreign but it could turn out their E-V22 could be a local Somali or Horner variant.

Its interesting that Non Coastal Sheikhals are E-M183. I was going to test my roommate who is AwQudub, but he said No.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to farjanomar For This Useful Post:

drobbah (07-16-2021),  Farroukh (07-18-2021),  Omaar (07-29-2021)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Omitted
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V32>E-FT385910
    mtDNA (M)
    L0a1d1*
    Y-DNA (M)
    T-FGC92488

An Eastern Saudi sample has joined the Gedo sample in the possibly proto-Oromo E-Y161124 subclade.Things are getting interesting

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to drobbah For This Useful Post:

diini95 (07-19-2021),  farjanomar (07-19-2021),  Omaar (07-29-2021)

I predict that Jidwaaq who are original inhabitants of Jigjiga and Marehan will form a subclade. Futux records that Geri and Marehan had a land conflict. Today the jidwaaq tribes border Geri tribe. At the time of Futux the Marehan Garaad Hirabu met the Iman between Harar and Saylac.Also alott of Jidwaaq claim to be reer Hodenbare. While Marehan abtirsi ends at Hodanbari ma rexaan. Also Amiir Nur is recorded to be from in arabic Suha Duha or reer HodanBari ma Rexaan.
    Last edited by Mujahid Nur Marehan; 07-28-2021 at 05:45 PM.

There is a new E-BY8081sample. Is it Majerteen or reer Cabdile Ogaden?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Horner
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-BY203771
    mtDNA (M)
    L2a1

United States of America Somalia
    Quote Originally Posted by Mujahid Nur Marehan View Post
    There is a new E-BY8081sample. Is it Majerteen or reer Cabdile Ogaden?
    He is on FTDNA. Recently got his big Y result. (MJ-Osman M)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to farjanomar For This Useful Post:

Omaar (07-29-2021)

Sex

Hey brother. I wanted to ask you about this DNA and haplogroups because you seem to know much about it.

My first question is, is it possible for two people with different Y-haplogroups (maybe because of a random mutation) to share a ancestor? For example can two people do this so called snp-markers or str-markers and see how related or close they are to each other even if they have different y-haplogroups. My other question is why doesn't 23andMe not add Somaliland regions like they do with Somalia, 23andMe seem to have very inaccurate maps and just groups everyone to Banadir region for example as I have seen on people that tested 23andMe.
    Last edited by Abdirahman; 08-02-2021 at 06:23 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Abdirahman For This Useful Post:

NetNomad (08-09-2021)

Page 57 of 58 FirstFirst ... 74755565758 LastLast