Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Long Does YSEQ Usually Take?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    L2>BY3508...>BY3506

Ireland England Scotland

How Long Does YSEQ Usually Take?

I've ordered a single SNP test for a distant cousin to verify my paternal line and it's 3 weeks today since the result was recieved at their lab. I requested the SNP a while ago through the wish-a-SNP facility and the SNP had been available to order for two or three months prior to my own order. How long does a test with them like this usually take?
    Paternal Y-DNA: U152>L2>BY3508>L135>BY3506 Estimated age of BY3506: 500BC
    Most Distant Known Paternal Ancestor: Patrick Dillon, born around 1790 somewhere in Ireland (possibly County Mayo). Some of his descendants later moved to Manchester, England between the 1820s and 30s.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pictland/Deira
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-M222-FGC5864
    mtDNA (M)
    H5r*

If it's a new SNP there are several stages as they have to order primers from an external supplier then on occasion the primer doesn't work and they have to try another. Usually an established SNP takes no more than a week but it can be longer.
    YSEQ:#37; YFull: YF01405 (Y Elite 2013)
    WGS (Full Genomes Nov 2015, YSEQ Feb 2019, Dante Mar 2019, FGC-10X Linked Reads Apr 2019, Dante-Nanopore May 2019) - further WGS tests pending ;-)
    Ancestry GCs: Scots in central Scotland & Ulster, Ireland; English in Yorkshire & Pennines
    Hidden Content
    FBIMatch: A828783 (autosomal DNA) for segment matching DO NOT POST ADMIXTURE REPORTS USING MY KIT

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MacUalraig For This Useful Post:

DillonResearcher (08-01-2017),  newm1988 (07-28-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    L2>BY3508...>BY3506

Ireland England Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUalraig View Post
    If it's a new SNP there are several stages as they have to order primers from an external supplier then on occasion the primer doesn't work and they have to try another. Usually an established SNP takes no more than a week but it can be longer.
    Ah, okay, fair enough. I'll wait and try to be patient!
    Paternal Y-DNA: U152>L2>BY3508>L135>BY3506 Estimated age of BY3506: 500BC
    Most Distant Known Paternal Ancestor: Patrick Dillon, born around 1790 somewhere in Ireland (possibly County Mayo). Some of his descendants later moved to Manchester, England between the 1820s and 30s.

Sex

I've ordered a haplogroup panel, and received first results after 2 weeks. Four and a half weeks have past since they received the samples, and I still don't have final results.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pictland/Deira
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-M222-FGC5864
    mtDNA (M)
    H5r*

I find each round takes around a week. It would be unusual to go 2.5 weeks without a round coming in, if that's what you are saying? The total number of rounds depends of course on how deep a branch you are in. If you already have some SNP data make sure you notify them first as it may save time (ie skipping upper branches).
    WGS (Full Genomes Nov 2015, YSEQ Feb 2019, Dante Mar 2019, FGC-10X Linked Reads Apr 2019, Dante-Nanopore May 2019) - further WGS tests pending ;-)
    Ancestry GCs: Scots in central Scotland & Ulster, Ireland; English in Yorkshire & Pennines
    Hidden Content
    FBIMatch: A828783 (autosomal DNA) for segment matching DO NOT POST ADMIXTURE REPORTS USING MY KIT

Sex

No. I've received two more updates in the meantime. Each round after the first one takes around a week, like you said. But, 5 weeks is supposed to be the deadline. I expected final results a bit sooner tbh.

From YSEQ FAQ:
    More than 95% of the customers receive the results of their DNA tests within 5 weeks after the sample is received at the YSEQ laboratory.
    Their NGS test takes about 7 weeks.

I didn't know much about SNP data, just STR values, but i never sent them that information, and they didn't ask.
    Last edited by eliade; 10-31-2017 at 05:14 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pictland/Deira
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-M222-FGC5864
    mtDNA (M)
    H5r*

Quote Originally Posted by eliade View Post
    No. I've received two more updates in the meantime. Each round after the first one takes around a week, like you said. But, 5 weeks is supposed to be the deadline. I expected final results a bit sooner tbh.

From YSEQ FAQ:

Their NGS test takes about 7 weeks.

I didn't know much about SNP data, just STR values, but i never sent them that information, and they didn't ask.
    Well I'm a punter not a company spokesman but I have always interpreted that to refer to a single test ie a SNP test. If you go through a panel there is huge variation in depth to completion. If you started with the L21 panel and are under M222->DF97 you'd be at it a long time for example.

I always send them intermediate SNP information where I can see from the test description/tree that it will jump-start things. I don't usually have STR data so I'm not sure what they would do with it - sometimes it could predict a sub-branch but not 100% like having the SNP result already would.

Could a panel end up taking longer than their WG sequencing test? Good question.
    Hidden Content

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    L2>BY3508...>BY3506

Ireland England Scotland
    I would give them an email, I was delayed and when I asked they explained that they had had difficulties with the primers and as it was a single SNP test they suggested an equivalent SNP. So it was a bit frustrating to have to chase them up but they were very helpful when I did.

Sex

Quote Originally Posted by DillonResearcher View Post
    I would give them an email, I was delayed and when I asked they explained that they had had difficulties with the primers and as it was a single SNP test they suggested an equivalent SNP. So it was a bit frustrating to have to chase them up but they were very helpful when I did.
    We had a few email conversations before, and they are very helpful indeed. I've got one more round to go, so when it's all done it would be 6+ weeks total. Now, I don't mind that. Two things are bothering me: the fact that they can't meet the deadline they set themselves, and the fact that couple of years ago the same tests were over in 10 days or so. F.e. here's what this guy wrote in his review back in 2016:

What's neat about the results is that you can see them as they process the results before the entire panel is completed. I was seeing initial results within a couple days of ordering. The entire panel was completed in a week and a half.
    (That was R1b-M343 Orientation Panel)

I'm not sure what's the reason behind this, maybe they should add more people to their team...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to eliade For This Useful Post:

DillonResearcher (11-04-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pictland/Deira
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-M222-FGC5864
    mtDNA (M)
    H5r*

Quote Originally Posted by eliade View Post
    We had a few email conversations before, and they are very helpful indeed. I've got one more round to go, so when it's all done it would be 6+ weeks total. Now, I don't mind that. Two things are bothering me: the fact that they can't meet the deadline they set themselves, and the fact that couple of years ago the same tests were over in 10 days or so. F.e. here's what this guy wrote in his review back in 2016:

(That was R1b-M343 Orientation Panel)

I'm not sure what's the reason behind this, maybe they should add more people to their team...
    The M343 panel is potentially quick if you are something common, again its down to number of levels/rounds. I think if you were say L21 then r1 is P312 and probably L21 is r2 and you are done.

Incidentally I'm glad you mentioned that panel as I see they now have an option to include the sub-panel for just an extra USD59. That could be handy for me as I still have one kit stuck at M343 (xL21).
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast