Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oral history of JEWISH ancestor but NO Jewish DNA results @MHeritage and Gedmatch

Registered Users
    Sex

Oral history of JEWISH ancestor but NO Jewish DNA results @MHeritage and Gedmatch

Hello everyone. I recently did a autosomal DNA ethnicity test. I was expecting to have at least about 3% Jewish, because I have Jewish ancestor on both my grandfathers side and my grandmothers side (according to our oral family history), 6 generations from me (on both sides). I received the following results:
    - 29,9% English
    - 8,00% North- and West-European
    - 8,90% Europe East
    - 1,70% Balkan

- 23,3% Nigerian
    - 10,3% Sierra Leone
    - 3,30% Kenyan
    - 1,10% Central-African

- 9,20% South-Asia

- 3,2% Middle-East

- 1,1% Oceanic (This must be the native american part of my ancestry since theres also oral history of that and amazon natives are relatives to papuans)

I also don't get Jewish on Gedmatch with the Jtest (only ASHKENASI less then 1% so i consider that noise)

Can someone help me how to interpret these results and if I can link it to Sephardic Jewish ancestry or not? Its very important to me.

Regards
    Last edited by Sergi; 08-02-2017 at 12:41 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sergi For This Useful Post:

Rach_27 (08-02-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Russian, German
    Nationality
    Russian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF99
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b1e

Quote Originally Posted by Sergi View Post
    Hello everyone. I recently did a autosomal DNA ethnicity test. I was expecting to have at least about 3% Jewish, because I have Jewish ancestor on both my grandfathers side and my grandmothers side (according to our oral family history), 6 generations from me (on both sides). I received the following results:
    - 29,9% English
    - 8,90% Europe East
    - 1,70% Balkan

- 23,3% Nigerian
    - 10,3% Sierra Leone
    - 3,30% Kenyan
    - 1,10% Central-African

- 9,20% South-Asia

- 3,2% Middle-East

- 1,1% Oceanic (This must be the native american part of my ancestry since theres also oral history of that and amazon natives are relatives to papuans)

I also don't get Jewish on Gedmatch with the Jtest (only ASHKENASI less then 1% so i consider that noise)

Can someone help me how to interpret these results and if I can link it to Sephardic Jewish ancestry or not? Its very important to me.

Regards
    According to your result you're pretty mixed, what kind of jews do you have as your ancestors (askenazi, sephardi, mizrahi, ethiopian etc.?

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    LebaGermish
    Y-DNA (P)
    P312>DF19>DF88
    mtDNA (M)
    J2a1a1e
    Y-DNA (M)
    J2a1 Z6065>Y7708>M47
    mtDNA (P)
    H1j

United States of America Lebanon Germany United Kingdom Belgium Switzerland
    It could be in your 3.2% Middle East and 1.7% Balkan -- my dad is about 12% ashkenazi; and Balkan (or things like Tuscan) shows up a lot in results.
    R1b>M269>L23>L51>L11>P312>DF19>DF88>FGC11833 >S4281>S4268>Z17112>BY44243

Ancestors: Francis Cooke (M223/I2a2a) b1583; Hester Mahieu (Cooke) (J1c2 mtDNA) b.1584; Richard Warren (E-M35) b1578; Elizabeth Walker (Warren) (H1j mtDNA) b1583;
    John Mead (I2a1/P37.2) b1634; Rev. Joseph Hull (I1, L1301+ L1302-) b1595; Benjamin Harrington (M223/I2a2a-Y5729) b1618; Joshua Griffith (L21>DF13) b1593;
    John Wing (U106) b1584; Thomas Gunn (DF19) b1605; Hermann Wilhelm (DF19) b1635

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dewsloth For This Useful Post:

dp (08-15-2017),  wombatofthenorth (08-04-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Roaring View Post
    According to your result you're pretty mixed, what kind of jews do you have as your ancestors (askenazi, sephardi, mizrahi, ethiopian etc.?
    Hi. It must be sephardic Jewish (very small change its Ashkenazi since there were way more sefardi's in Surinam in the 1800's)

So theres me, my mother, grandmother, greatgrandmother, greatgreatgrandfather and his father should've been Jewish... Same for my other Jewish ancestor (me, mother, gr.father, great gr.father, greatgreat gr.mother and her father was Jewish)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sergi For This Useful Post:

wombatofthenorth (08-04-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Dewsloth View Post
    It could be in your 3.2% Middle East and 1.7% Balkan -- my dad is about 12% ashkenazi; and Balkan (or things like Tuscan) shows up a lot in results.
    Yes, that is what I was thinking to since sephardic Jews share a lot of dna with middle-easterners

I saw on Gedmatch that my mid-eastern part was divided between east-mediterranean and north-africa. Maybe that indicates Jewish???

Im also partially Indian... I dont know if they were mixed with middle-east

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sergi For This Useful Post:

dp (08-15-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Russian, German
    Nationality
    Russian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF99
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b1e

Hi. It must be sephardic Jewish (very small change its Ashkenazi since there were way more sefardi's in Surinam in the 1800's)

So theres me, my mother, grandmother, greatgrandmother, greatgreatgrandfather and his father should've been Jewish... Same for my other Jewish ancestor (me, mother, gr.father, great gr.father, greatgreat gr.mother and her father was Jewish)
    So far tests can show certenly only Ashkenazi admix (due to technical side of the question) , Sephardi will be shown as a mix of MENA and S.European, if you don't have any known MENA roots beside Sephardi than you most likely do have such kind of ancestry if not than it's hard to tell since the percentage of your jewish admixture is small.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Roaring For This Useful Post:

wombatofthenorth (08-04-2017)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Central 75% + 25% Mazovia
    Nationality
    Pole
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a > M198 > YP 1337

Poland
    - 29,9% English
    - 8,90% Europe East
    - 1,70% Balkan

- 23,3% Nigerian
    - 10,3% Sierra Leone
    - 3,30% Kenyan
    - 1,10% Central-African

- 9,20% South-Asia

- 3,2% Middle-East

Regards
    You are Coloured from SA?

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by lukaszM View Post
    You are Coloured from SA?
    I assume SA = South America? In that case yes... I am. My father is Dutch (with some polish and English) and my mother is from Suriname (a big melting pot of different ethnicities)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Roaring View Post
    So far tests can show certenly only Ashkenazi admix (due to technical side of the question) , Sephardi will be shown as a mix of MENA and S.European, if you don't have any known MENA roots beside Sephardi than you most likely do have such kind of ancestry if not than it's hard to tell since the percentage of your jewish admixture is small.
    So you are saying that if there is no other known MENA heritage in my familytree besides Seph.Jewish, then the MENA part is probably from the Jewish ancestor?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Russian, German
    Nationality
    Russian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF99
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b1e

So you are saying that if there is no other known MENA heritage in my familytree besides Seph.Jewish, then the MENA part is probably from the Jewish ancestor?
    Yes, most likely.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast