Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    L3e4

Cape Verde Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by FionnSneachta View Post
    I don't think that it really reflects the average person from Connacht. I'd say that it's skewed due to people being mixed having this genetic community
    Many thanks for sharing the screenshot! I agree that regrettably it seems Ancestry has chosen to also include people of mixed origins in their aggregate ethnicity estimates. Would have been so much more informative if they had singled out people with 4 Irish-born grandparents. Given their access to people's familytrees this should be very easy for them i imagine. Oh well perhaps in a later addition...

I happen to have been assigned to a brandnew genetic community myself just the other day, called "Portuguese Islanders". It is actually centered on Cape Verdeans so i do not really appreciate the labeling...However still good news i guess that Ancestry is expanding on this tool. Again many people of mixed background in this community, incl. both Azoreans, Madeirans and both white and black Americans. Right now the insights tab is not available yet. But good to know in advance that the aggregate ethnicity estimates showing up there eventually will not be representative of actual admixture among Cape Verdeans.

Last edited by Don Felipe; 10-17-2017 at 09:03 AM.
    Hidden Content
    Exploring the Ethnic Origins of the Afro-Diaspora

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Don Felipe For This Useful Post:

Amerijoe (10-17-2017), FionnSneachta (10-17-2017), Robert1 (11-04-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Irish
    Y-DNA
    M222 (S588)
    mtDNA
    J1c3f

Ireland Australia Ireland County Tipperary
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessie View Post
    Last one is Jacksepticeye real name Sean McLoughlin who is from the midwest of Ireland. He is from Athlone which is between Co Westmeath and Co Roscommon.

His genetic communities.

In case the picture capture isn't large enough he is 62% Ireland, 34% Great Britain and 4% Iberian Peninsula.
    This is Jacksepticeye's 23&Me results. Interesting that he scores such a huge amount of British & Irish on this. Jack's ydna is M222.

Last edited by Jessie; 11-04-2017 at 08:31 AM.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jessie For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (11-30-2017), Don Felipe (11-04-2017), FionnSneachta (11-04-2017), Robert1 (11-04-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Gael
    Nationality
    Éireanach
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF41
    mtDNA
    U4d3

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessie View Post
    This is Jacksepticeye's 23&Me results. Interesting that he scores such a huge amount of British & Irish on this. Jack's ydna is M222.

Well his figure for 'Ireland' and 'Great Britain' does add up to 96% in ancestry, so not hugely off his figure in 23andme.

With a surname like McLoughlin the M222+ result isn't too surprising!

The question arises though given his origin in Athlone which of the following he might be connected to, if he was S588 I'd go with 'Mac Lochlainn', origin in midlands though might hint at Southern Uí Néill and thus Ó Maoilsheachlainn

Mac LOCHLAINN—V—MacLochlin, MacLoghlin, MacLoughlin, Loughlin, &c, (Loftus); 'son of Lochlainn' (a name of Norse origin); the name of the senior branch of the northern Ui Neill. Before the 13th century, they were the most powerful family in Ulster. They were seated in Inishowen, where the name is still common. A branch of this family settled in Mayo in the 17th century. It would appear that there was also a family of the name in Co. Leitrim, who were followers of the O'Rourkes. This surname is to be distinguished from Ó Maoilsheachlainn (which see), which is now also anglicised MacLoughlin. See Mag Lochlainn.
    Ó MAOILSHEACHLAINN—I—O Mulshaghlen, O Melaghlin, (MacLaughlin, MacLoughlin, &c., Ó Loughlan, Ó Loughlin); 'descendant of Maolsheachlainn' (servant of St. Secundinus); the name of a once celebrated Meath family, of the race of Niall of the Nine Hostages, who derive their descent from Maelsheachlainn, or Malachy II, King of Ireland, who was dethroned by Brian Boru and died in the year 1022. The clan-name of the O Melaghlins and their co-relatives was Clann Cholmain. Before the Anglo-Norman invasion they were kings of Meath, but after that period their power greatly declined. Meath was granted to Hugh de Lacy, and for many centuries the O Melaghlens were confined to the barony of Clonlonan in Westmeath. They were, however, one of the five Irish families who had the privilege of using English laws. In the reign of James I they were again stripped of a considerable portion of what remained of their ancient patrimony; and so completely had this ancient and once powerful family been ruined by the confiscations of the 17th century that in the attainders of 1691 there appears but one person of the name, Maolseachlin O Melaghlin, of Lough Mask, Co. Mayo. The name is now everywhere disguised under the anglicised forms of MacLaughlin, MacLoughlin, &c
    (R1b-DF41+)
    (MtDNA: U4d3)

How to pronounce my username (modern Irish):
    Hidden Content

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dubhthach For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (11-30-2017), FionnSneachta (11-05-2017), Jessie (11-09-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex

Some older relatives of mine are 15/16 German, 1/16 British Isles. Would they be acceptable sample for the "German" group on your spreadsheet?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Tajik/Persian
    Nationality
    Afghan-American
    Y-DNA
    E1b1b1a1b
    mtDNA
    C4a1

Afghanistan United States of America Iran Turkey

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to murtazasayeed For This Useful Post:

Don Felipe (11-15-2017), Dubhthach (11-24-2017), kingjohn (11-15-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    L3e4

Cape Verde Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Martnen View Post
    Some older relatives of mine are 15/16 German, 1/16 British Isles. Would they be acceptable sample for the "German" group on your spreadsheet?
    Nice, I would like to see screenshots of their results. If possible please also include their genetic communities. Were they born in America?
    Hidden Content
    Exploring the Ethnic Origins of the Afro-Diaspora

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Don Felipe View Post
    Nice, I would like to see screenshots of their results. If possible please also include their genetic communities. Were they born in America?
    Yes, they were - they haven't tested yet - they're in their 90s, and I'm trying to talk them into testing

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bobby Martnen For This Useful Post:

Don Felipe (11-23-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Irish
    Y-DNA
    R-BY3440
    mtDNA
    H6a1b2

Ireland
    My mum's results have come in. She is 98% Irish, 1% Finland/Northwest Russia and <1% Europe East. I was right that the Finnish percentage seems to be coming from my mum's side. There must be some ancestry coming from that part of Europe somewhere. Interestingly my mum matches with someone that we know in town but she didn't know that she was related to. His results have a Scandinavian percentage that isn't put into the trace category and he also has Finland and Europe East as a trace regions. She's been put into the Connacht genetic community and more specifically North Connacht and Galway.

I put her raw data on GEDmatch. I was surprised by her Eurogenes K13 results. I get Irish as my top result at 5.3. My dad gets Irish as his second result at 6.8 with West Scottish coming first at 6.3. My mum gets Irish as her 7th result at 5.6 (which is actually technically higher than my dad's). Her top result is Norwegian at 2.1, Danish at 2.8, North Dutch at 2.9, North German at 4.2, Swedish at 4.3 and Orcadian at 5.5. It's odd how closely she matches with Norway and the fact that I get Irish as my top result while neither of my parents do. As I said in another thread matches come up from that Scandinavian and Eastern Europe region.
    Ancestry: 96% Ireland, 2% Great Britain, 1% Finland/Northwest Russia, <1% Scandinavia & Connacht Genetic Community
    MyHeritage: 100% Irish, Scottish, Welsh
    FTDNA: 100% British Isles
    Known: Roscommon, Galway, Mayo
    Paternal ancestor (Y): Martin Kelly - son Martin b. 1819 in Co. Roscommon (Donnchadh O'Kelly of Hy Many b. c1374 in Gailey Castle & d. 1424)
    Father's mtDNA: Catherine Fleming b. c1831 in Co. Roscommon (H27e)
    Maternal ancestor (mt): Anne McDermott b. c1814 in Co. Roscommon

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FionnSneachta For This Useful Post:

Don Felipe (01-02-2018), Dubhthach (12-30-2017), Jessie (01-02-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Russian/Belorussian

Belarus Russian Federation Russia Imperial Poland
    Does anyone have Danish Ancestry results? I wonder what they would show - more Scandinavia or West Europe.

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425