Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MtDNA Full Sequencing (FTDNA) : What will it tell me?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Métis
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA (M)
    T2B-T152C

Canada England Scotland Germany Poland France

MtDNA Full Sequencing (FTDNA) : What will it tell me?

With the FTDNA summer sale going on, I'm very tempted to buy the mtDNA full sequence as my mother's maternal line is a mystery / paper trail brick wall. However, I've heard that mtDNA testing doesn't really tell you much and it isn't as straightforward to use as Y DNA is. I really don't know much about it but I would like to know if doing the full mtDNA test would help me uncover my maternal line, and what sort of information I could get from it - any help or input is greatly appreciated... screenshots of tools you get with FTDNA's mt full sequence would be fantastic if you are willing to share that.
    Paper trail ancestry to the best of my knowledge:
    English (possibly containing some Welsh ancestry) 31.25%, Eastern European and Eastern German (Galicia, Poland) 25%, Scottish 17.96%, Scotch-Irish 12.5%, French 8.2%, Native American 1.95%, and Colonial American, 3.125%, which cannot be determined with complete certainty: there is Dutch (at least 1.36%) and some English. The rest could include Spanish, Norwegian, German, and French, but these percentages would be minuscule.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sktibo For This Useful Post:

JMcB (08-08-2017),  Nibelung (08-08-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-FGC24357
    mtDNA (M)
    H5

United States of America Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by sktibo View Post
    With the FTDNA summer sale going on, I'm very tempted to buy the mtDNA full sequence as my mother's maternal line is a mystery / paper trail brick wall. However, I've heard that mtDNA testing doesn't really tell you much and it isn't as straightforward to use as Y DNA is. I really don't know much about it but I would like to know if doing the full mtDNA test would help me uncover my maternal line, and what sort of information I could get from it - any help or input is greatly appreciated... screenshots of tools you get with FTDNA's mt full sequence would be fantastic if you are willing to share that.
    What autosomal tests have your mother done?

Jack

4. The Following User Says Thank You to C J Wyatt III For This Useful Post:

sktibo (08-08-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Métis
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA (M)
    T2B-T152C

Quote Originally Posted by C J Wyatt III View Post
    What autosomal tests have your mother done?

Jack
    None yet, I just ordered her an AncestryDNA
    English (possibly containing some Welsh ancestry) 31.25%, Eastern European and Eastern German (Galicia, Poland) 25%, Scottish 17.96%, Scotch-Irish 12.5%, French 8.2%, Native American 1.95%, and Colonial American, 3.125%, which cannot be determined with complete certainty: there is Dutch (at least 1.36%) and some English. The rest could include Spanish, Norwegian, German, and French, but these percentages would be minuscule.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sktibo For This Useful Post:

C J Wyatt III (08-08-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-FGC24357
    mtDNA (M)
    H5

United States of America Canada
    None yet, I just ordered her an AncestryDNA
    I believe you get a mtDNA haplogroup estimate with that, though it won't be as deep as the full sequencing. FMS usually is not that useful. I'd spend the money on having both Family Finder done for her and 23andMe (which will give you another mtDNA haplogroup estimate). Her DNA would be on file at FTDNA if you ever decided that FMS was needed for her.

Jack

8. The Following User Says Thank You to C J Wyatt III For This Useful Post:

sktibo (08-08-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Métis
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA (M)
    T2B-T152C

Quote Originally Posted by C J Wyatt III View Post
    I believe you get a mtDNA haplogroup estimate with that, though it won't be as deep as the full sequencing. FMS usually is not that useful. I'd spend the money on having both Family Finder done for her and 23andMe (which will give you another mtDNA haplogroup estimate). Her DNA would be on file at FTDNA if you ever decided that FMS was needed for her.

Jack
    Oh I already know we're T2b, I'm considering full sequencing because T2b isn't that defined, I've tested with Geno, 23andme, and LivingDNA, none of which can define it further than that, so it looks like I need full sequencing mtDNA to get a better idea of what our mtDNA group is... Unless it might have an easier time identifying her mtDNA than mine? I'm really curious as to if full sequencing can tell us anything more through matching or other features - I'm hoping for something specific, but I'm not sure if that is a real possibility for mtDNA?
    Last edited by sktibo; 08-08-2017 at 04:20 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sktibo For This Useful Post:

C J Wyatt III (08-08-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2a1

Oh I already know we're T2b, I'm considering full sequencing because T2b isn't that defined, I've tested with Geno, 23andme,
    Have you uploaded your 23andMe results to James Lick's mthap web tool? It might give you a more specific subclade of T2b, and that would help determine if it is worthwhile to test the full sequence. In general, mtDNA has a slow mutation rate and is less useful for genealogy, but the mutation rate is highly variable, and some people have more recent mutations than others, and in some cases it can be useful for finding a country of origin and matches that might share a common maternal ancestor in the last several hundred years. For people who have fewer recent mutations, the results are much less specific.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GailT For This Useful Post:

Basta (08-27-2017),  JMcB (08-08-2017),  Judith (08-11-2017),  sktibo (08-08-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Métis
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA (M)
    T2B-T152C

Quote Originally Posted by GailT View Post
    Have you uploaded your 23andMe results to James Lick's mthap web tool? It might give you a more specific subclade of T2b, and that would help determine if it is worthwhile to test the full sequence. In general, mtDNA has a slow mutation rate and is less useful for genealogy, but the mutation rate is highly variable, and some people have more recent mutations than others, and in some cases it can be useful for finding a country of origin and matches that might share a common maternal ancestor in the last several hundred years. For people who have fewer recent mutations, the results are much less specific.
    To be honest I have tried and I don't really understand the results that it gave me, and I haven't found an instructions page for how to interpret it either... it tells me "Imperfect Match. Your results contained differences with this haplogroup" under every listed result; I'll post it here in case someone can help me understand what it is. I should also mention that ftdna by way of geno 2.0 NG gives me T2b-T152C!

1) T2b
    2) T2b24
    2) T2b26
    2) T2b(T152C)
    2) T2b35
    2) T2b21
    3) T2b17
    3) T2b(T16362C)
    3) T2b37
    3) T2b30
    3) T2b(C150T)
    3) T2b31
    3) T2b13
    3) T2b3
    3) T2b27
    3) T2b36
    3) T2b7
    3) T2b1
    3) T2b2
    3) T2b19
    3) T2b5
    3) T2b4
    3) T2b8

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    UK
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b>L513>A7> BY11186
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a4a1f
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b
    mtDNA (P)
    J2b1

Scotland Wales Ireland England Germany Netherlands
    I've had full sequence mtDNA tests done on my wife and me. I got 28 matches but none closer than GD 2. My wife got 206 matches and 53 were at GD 0! But so far the extra matches haven't panned out, no common ancestors detected for either of us. So for the time being we just got detailed haplogroups, she's H7 and I'm K1a4a1a - but we do have our fishing nets out in case that miracle fish swims by! And the test is at good sale price now.

I thought about testing my mother instead of myself but hated to bother her with another test, after all she's 94! It shouldn't matter which one of us tested.

All in all I'm not sorry we tested but for most people this test returns little of your investment. Now Y STR 111 markers and the Big Y I will sing praises of, with them I was able to identify my Y line great grandfather!

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Robert1 For This Useful Post:

C J Wyatt III (08-08-2017),  JMcB (08-08-2017),  sktibo (08-08-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pictland/Deira
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-M222-FGC5864
    mtDNA (M)
    H5r*

Highly unlikely it will help your family tree but still nice to have the data. If you do please submit it to Genbank for posterity, and for the attention of scientists :-)

This is my submission as an example:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/nuccore/KY849397
    YSEQ:#37; YFull: YF01405 (Y Elite 2013)
    WGS (Full Genomes Nov 2015, YSEQ Feb 2019, Dante Mar 2019, FGC-10X Linked Reads Apr 2019, Dante-Nanopore May 2019) - further WGS tests pending ;-)
    Ancestry GCs: Scots in central Scotland & Ulster, Ireland; English in Yorkshire & Pennines
    Hidden Content
    FBIMatch: A828783 (autosomal DNA) for segment matching DO NOT POST ADMIXTURE REPORTS USING MY KIT

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MacUalraig For This Useful Post:

A Norfolk L-M20 (08-08-2017),  Amerijoe (08-08-2017),  JMcB (08-08-2017),  Robert1 (08-08-2017),  sktibo (08-08-2017)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northern English
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    Brother I2-M26 I2a1a
    mtDNA (M)
    H4a1a1a

I am deeply interested in what mtDNA result testing give, but it has not helped my maternal family tree much at all. What will help you is to test some of your mothers maternal cousins/aunts and compare with her autosomal DNA. Armed with your cousins's results you will be able to work out in which part of her tree her matches are. Sorry to state this if you already know this stuff. It has not helped my maternal line either in my case!

From your OP this is what your results will look like (mine attached) and I have 131 matches at GD=3, i.e. 131 people where our common ancestor is 3 mutations away and that is several thousand years ago (mtDNA has a wide variation in mutation rates)
    mtdna results.jpg
    Image “Westray wifie” replica of Neolithic figurine Hidden Content
    Out of 64 pre 1800 births 45% Cheshire, 1% Irish (or Scottish), 25% south Derbyshire, 13% Burton on Trent area (where 4 counties within 10 miles), 7% Shropshire, 1% Staffs, 8% Lancs. So far all British Isles despite what some testing companies say.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Judith For This Useful Post:

JMcB (08-11-2017),  Robert1 (08-10-2017),  sktibo (08-10-2017)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast