Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Caucasus Results Comparison

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

Caucasus Results Comparison

It appears there isn't a thread dedicated to a comparison of results from users with roots in the Caucasus (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, and the North Caucasus) and nearby areas (e.g., Iran, Iraq, Kurdistan, Turkey). Let's use this thread to post our results from various vendors/websites. This will allow us to better understand the differences between vendors/websites (particularly with respect to this part of the world), and hopefully it will allow us to better understand our results.

Also, please share which GEDMatch calculators you consider most relevant for our purposes and why.

All four of my grandparents were born in Iran. My known ancestry on paper is very roughly 37.5% Gilaki, 25% Persian, 25% North Iranian, and 12.5% Kurdish.

AncestryDNA results: 91% Caucasus; 4% South Asia; 3% Middle East; 2% European Jewish.

MyHeritage results: 90% West Asia; 5.4% Middle East; 3.7% South Asia; 0.9% Ashkenazi Jewish.

DNA.Land results: 65% Central Indoeuropean; 13% Mediterranean Islander; 10% Indus Valley; 9% Indo-Iranian; 2.2% Kalash.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Apex n Harmony For This Useful Post:

alhan (08-14-2017),  asm (08-09-2017),  Don Felipe (08-10-2017),  Hayden (08-08-2017),  khanabadoshi (08-09-2017),  XooR (08-09-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Iranian Qashqai+Bakhtiari
    Nationality
    Iranian-American
    Y-DNA
    J2a1a2c J-L290
    mtDNA
    J1

Iran AchaemenidEmpire1 Iran Safavid Empire United States of America Kurdistan Iran Sassanid Empire
    Nice you have one of the highest Caucasus results I've seen for an Iranian. Heres my results btw my known ancestry is 37.5% Bakhtiari 25% Qashqai 25% Fars Iranian 12.5% Unknown Iranian.
    ANCESTRYDNA
    Caucasus 73% Asia South 14% Middle East 10% Africa Southeastern Bantu 2% European Jewish < 1%
    DNALAND
    Central Indoeuropean 38%, Indo-Iranian 28%, Mediterranean Islander 29%, Indus Valley 2%, Kalash 1.7%, Ambiguous 1.7%
    FTDNA
    Asia Minor 71% Central Asian 21% East Middle East 3% West African 2% East Central Africa < 1% North and Central America < 1%West Middle East < 1%
    MyHeritage
    West Asia 89.2% South Asia 8.4% Ashkenazi Jewish 1.5% Middle Eastern 0.9%

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Saba123 For This Useful Post:

Apex n Harmony (08-08-2017),  Dmitry (08-01-2018),  Hayden (08-08-2017),  khanabadoshi (08-09-2017),  XooR (08-09-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    mtDNA
    U5

I'm from Quba region of Azerbaijan.My family are mostly native Caucasians (Lezgins+ probably from other little Caucasian tribes)
    I only know the family of my great-great grandfather (mother's side) came from Iran,for now don't know which city.I learnt about it last year.My family is fully Sunni muslims.Do you know can be Sunnis among Iranian Azeris or Persians in Iran?Maybe they are from those ethnic Caucasians who were exiled to Iran during the time of Nadir Shah?Or they are converts from Shia to Sunnism?What is your opinion?
    Other fact that i know about my non-Caucasus origin is that it's said my father's paternal side are from Levant/Sham.But in my results i see almost no Arabic and Levant origin.

FTDNA

Asia Minor -74%
    Eastern Europe -12 %
    South Central Asia - 10%
    British Isles - 2%
    Siberia - 2%

MyHeritage

West Asian 64,8%
    South Asian 6,3%
    Greek 15,6%
    Irish, Scottish, and Welsh 10,3%
    Italian - 3,0%

DNALand

Central Indoeuropean 70%
    Indo-Iranian 10%
    Kalash 2.5%
    Indus Valley 2.1%
    Balkan 4.3%
    South/Central European 3.8%
    North Slavic 3.9%
    Ashkenazi 2.2%
    Northwest European 1.2%
    Last edited by asm; 08-09-2017 at 01:53 AM.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to asm For This Useful Post:

Abd.H (08-09-2017),  Apex n Harmony (08-08-2017),  Caspian (08-25-2017),  khanabadoshi (08-09-2017),  XooR (08-09-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

Quote Originally Posted by musaev View Post
    I'm from Quba region of Azerbaijan.My family are mostly native Caucasians (Lezgins+ probably from other little Caucasian tribes)
    I only know the family of my great-great grandfather (mother's side) came from Iran,for now don't know which city.I learnt about it last year.My family is fully Sunni Shafii muslims.Even my that great-grandfather was Shafii sheikh.Do you know can be Sunnis among Iranian Azeris or Persians in Iran?I don't think they can be Kurds.Maybe they are from those ethnic Caucasians who were exiled to Iran during the time of Nadir Shah?Or they are converts from Shia to Sunnism?What is your opinion?
    Other fact that i know about my non-Caucasus origin is that it's said my father's paternal side are from Levant/Sham.But in my results i see almost no Arabic and Levant origin.

FTDNA

Asia Minor -74%
    Eastern Europe -12 %
    South Central Asia - 10%
    British Isles - 2%
    Siberia - 2%

MyOrigins

West Asian 64,8%
    South Asian 6,3%
    Greek 15,6%
    Irish, Scottish, and Welsh 10,3%
    Italian - 3,0%

DNALand

Central Indoeuropean 70%
    Indo-Iranian 10%
    Kalash 2.5%
    Indus Valley 2.1%
    Balkan 4.3%
    South/Central European 3.8%
    North Slavic 3.9%
    Ashkenazi 2.2%
    Northwest European 1.2%
    There are certainly Sunnis throughout Iran, particularly in the Baluch, Turkoman, and Kurdish communities. I believe there are even some Sunnis among Iranian Azeris and particular Persian communities in the South. But there's no way I can tell what your ancestor's roots were. Conversion is certainly a possibility too, I'd imagine.

When you wrote "MyOrigins," did you mean to write "MyHeritage"? It's a bit interesting to me to see 6.3% South Asia. Iranians very often show South Asian in these tests. I wonder if it's typical of North and South Caucasians, too.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Apex n Harmony For This Useful Post:

asm (08-09-2017),  jesus (08-09-2017),  XooR (08-09-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

Quote Originally Posted by Saba123 View Post
    Nice you have one of the highest Caucasus results I've seen for an Iranian. Heres my results btw my known ancestry is 37.5% Bakhtiari 25% Qashqai 25% Fars Iranian 12.5% Unknown Iranian.
    ANCESTRYDNA
    Caucasus 73% Asia South 14% Middle East 10% Africa Southeastern Bantu 2% European Jewish < 1%
    DNALAND
    Central Indoeuropean 38%, Indo-Iranian 28%, Mediterranean Islander 29%, Indus Valley 2%, Kalash 1.7%, Ambiguous 1.7%
    FTDNA
    Asia Minor 71% Central Asian 21% East Middle East 3% West African 2% East Central Africa < 1% North and Central America < 1%West Middle East < 1%
    MyHeritage
    West Asia 89.2% South Asia 8.4% Ashkenazi Jewish 1.5% Middle Eastern 0.9%
    Very cool. For what it's worth, I've noticed that Iranians on AncestryDNA most often show greater "Caucasus" when their roots are in the north and/or Caspian Sea area, and those same Iranians tend to show lower percentages of Middle East, South Asia, and Italy/Greece than Iranians from further south.

My father scored 96% Caucasus on AncestryDNA (2% Middle East; 2% South Asia). His family is mostly from Gilan.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Apex n Harmony For This Useful Post:

Don Felipe (09-02-2017),  jesus (08-09-2017),  XooR (08-09-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    mtDNA
    U5

Quote Originally Posted by Apex n Harmony View Post

When you wrote "MyOrigins," did you mean to write "MyHeritage"?
    I corrected

It's a bit interesting to me to see 6.3% South Asia. Iranians very often show South Asian in these tests. I wonder if it's typical of North and South Caucasians, too.
    Yes even aboriginal Caucasians score some South Asian.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/14/s...ng-events.html
    Last edited by asm; 08-09-2017 at 12:57 AM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    L-SK1414
    mtDNA
    U8b1a1

African Union Ainu AchaemenidEmpire1 Kurdistan Star of David Dravida Nadu
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex n Harmony View Post
    Very cool. For what it's worth, I've noticed that Iranians on AncestryDNA most often show greater "Caucasus" when their roots are in the north and/or Caspian Sea area, and those same Iranians tend to show lower percentages of Middle East, South Asia, and Italy/Greece than Iranians from further south.

My father scored 96% Caucasus on AncestryDNA (2% Middle East; 2% South Asia). His family is mostly from Gilan.
    It's probably because Gilakis are similar to the reference Caucasus population used by AncestryDNA. You should download his data to GEDmatch. There no Gilaki samples on GEDmatch, only few Mazandaranis and Gorganis were tested from the caspian region.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jesus For This Useful Post:

khanabadoshi (08-09-2017),  XooR (08-09-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    L-SK1414
    mtDNA
    U8b1a1

African Union Ainu AchaemenidEmpire1 Kurdistan Star of David Dravida Nadu
    Quote Originally Posted by musaev View Post
    I corrected

Yes even aboriginal Caucasians score some South Asian.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/14/s...ng-events.html
    It's due to shared ancestry with south asians. South asians have a lot of ancestry from Neolithic Iran and Caucasian hunter gatherers.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jesus For This Useful Post:

Apex n Harmony (08-09-2017),  asm (08-09-2017),  MonkeyDLuffy (08-09-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Iranian Qashqai+Bakhtiari
    Nationality
    Iranian-American
    Y-DNA
    J2a1a2c J-L290
    mtDNA
    J1

Iran AchaemenidEmpire1 Iran Safavid Empire United States of America Kurdistan Iran Sassanid Empire
    Yes this is true, it would only make sense considering the geographic proximities and considering that many Northerns are Azeri or some other type of Caucasian. It still kinda crazy how much we vary in Caucasus. My third Cousin, from my Bakhtiari side but he is only about 25% Bakhtari the rest Khuzestan Iranian, scored the lowest Caucasus percentage I have ever seen for an Iranian. His result: 53% Caucasian , 20% Asian South , 17% Middle Eastern, 5% Italian/Greece ,4% European Jew and 1% Great Britain.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Saba123 For This Useful Post:

XooR (08-09-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Telugu
    Y-DNA
    L1a1
    mtDNA
    J1

India United States of America
    This might be slightly off topic but I've seen a few afghan AncestryDna and 23andme results online and most of them get 70-80% south asian, and the iranians get around 5-10%. Funny thing is afghanistan is considered Central asia on ancestrydna, yet they get majority south asian. On gedmatch calculators, majority of afghans cluster closer to iranians than even most northwest south asian groups such as sindhis and punjabis. I'm just confused as to why afghans get majority south asian on those tests? shouldn't they have similar components as iranians with slightly higher south asian than iranians?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to kush For This Useful Post:

XooR (08-09-2017)

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast