Thread: what is the best DNA test for Iranians/West Asians?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Iranian Qashqai+Bakhtiari
    Nationality
    Iranian-American
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2a1a J-M47
    mtDNA (M)
    J1b1b1

Iran AchaemenidEmpire1 Iran Safavid Empire United States of America Kurdistan Iran Sassanid Empire

what is the best DNA test for Iranians/West Asians?

I finally have enough extra money now to buy a second DNA test and I was wondering which DNA test would be the best for my purposes. So I have taken the AncestryDNA test already and was pretty happy with it seemed decently accurate, but I am still looking for a second opinion. I was considering 23andme as they constantly referred as the most accurate and have the best raw DNA files but I am hesitant because they're category for West Asians is too broad but if the difference in raw DNA file quality is large enough I would probably get it. I was also looking at companies like LivingDNA and Geno 2.0 but I have not seen many results for West Asians I'm not sure. The particular things I am looking for is a test that: separates North/South Caucasians from Iranians,one that will give me haplogroups, high quality raw DNA file, and accuracy. Would love recommendations and some results from West Asians.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Saba123 For This Useful Post:

Apex n Harmony (08-14-2017),  [email protected] (08-14-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Bahrain
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-ZS6406

Bahrain
    From what I've read 23andme has the best raw data, but the ethnic makeup test might not be accurate if you are not European, their West Asian sample size is probably too small to draw a final conclusion as they don't ship internationally to improve their database.

FTDNA is probably the most accurate for non-European samples as they ship worldwide which means they have a more established international database but they don't have the detailed breakdown of the ethnic makeup like how you want it. Their y-dna and mt-dna tests are probably the best too.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sam Bean For This Useful Post:

Nibelung (08-14-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    L-SK1414
    mtDNA (M)
    U8b1a1

African Union Ainu AchaemenidEmpire1 Kurdistan Star of David Dravida Nadu
    As long as you have your raw data, you don't really need to test with other companies(unless if you wanted to test your Y-DNA or something)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jesus For This Useful Post:

Sam Bean (08-14-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    Iranian-American
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2a1a J-M47
    mtDNA (M)
    J1b1b1

Iran AchaemenidEmpire1 Iran Safavid Empire United States of America Kurdistan Iran Sassanid Empire
    I have already transferred my DNA to FTDNA thou it wasn't really was not that impressed thou honest but it did give the closest caucasus result to AncestryDNA

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    Iranian-American
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2a1a J-M47
    mtDNA (M)
    J1b1b1

Quote Originally Posted by jesus View Post
    As long as you have your raw data, you don't really need to test with other companies(unless if you wanted to test your Y-DNA or something)
    Well I've heard that AncestryDNA's raw files are not the highest quality and they are not as widely accepted as 23andme files for calculators. I was also curious to see how different the files and my results would be. But it kinda seems like a waste of money know that I think about it, though I do want to have my grandmother take the test.