Omitted
    Ethnicity
    Irish and German
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b

Europe West vs Great Britain - Germanic

Which one is truely Germanic, Europe West or Great Britain?

Im half German descended from Western Germany[Baden, Wurtemberg, and Westphalia]
    Yet somewhat suprisingly I have 0%-0% range Europe West.
    Hidden in my lineage are english and french hughnot unrecognized due to marrying catholics.
    What do full German people get as their main genetic type on ancestrydna?
    Quite interested aswell in regional variation of primary genetic type in different states of Germany.

Thank you for any responses
    Last edited by sonofhatton; 10-01-2017 at 01:30 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sonofhatton For This Useful Post:

sktibo (10-02-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    German
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-CTS4333 (U152/Z36)
    mtDNA (M)
    H
    Y-DNA (M)
    I1-L22
    mtDNA (P)
    U5a1b2

Germany Denmark Czech Republic Switzerland Austria European Union
    I am not sure what a full German is, for we are all the result of admixture events in the past. Nevertheless, I might be the kind of German you are looking for. According to paper trail I am 96% German (70% North German). Besides this there are a few Danish, Austrian, Swiss and Czech ancestors.

My ancestry result is here (range 0-72% for Europe West, 0-49% for Great Britain .... which means other ancestry percentages are possible).
    Attachment 19083

For comparison:

FTDNA 100% West and Central Europe. Attachment 19084

Living DNA. Attachment 19085

23andMe. Attachment 19086

By the way, it seems difficult to make a difference between Europe West and Great Britain. Great Britain is part of Western Europe. You will find strong Germanic influence in Britain due to migration events in the past. However, the Celtic is still there.

Germany is not "purely" Germanic, because there are important Celtic contributions as well, more in the south than in the north or the east. And there are Slavic contributions above all in the east.

Did you upload your data to GEDmatch? There are many possibilities to analyse your DNA. Tools made available by different people are much better than results from commercial companies.
    Last edited by CelticGerman; 10-01-2017 at 06:15 AM.
    Known ancestry: 92.6% German (66.8% North German), 4.7% Danish, 1.8% Czech, 0.8% Austrian, 0.1% Swiss.
    EUROGENES K13: N German, N Dutch, DNK, SWE, NOR. Ancestry: Germanic 75%, Sweden 13%, Norway 11%, Baltic 1%. LM: NOR, DNK, NLD, N-DEU, SWE.
    23andMe: NW Europe 82.5% (French/German 50.2%, Scandinavian 9.1%, British/Irish 3.2%), East Europe 11.5%, South Europe 1.5%. DNAL: NW Euro 81%, NE Euro 11%, Med 6.5%
    Y-DNA: R1b/U152/Z36/CTS4333, Thuringia 1634, probably Alsace 1552, -- mt-DNA: H

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CelticGerman For This Useful Post:

A Norfolk L-M20 (10-01-2017),  greerpalmer (10-02-2017),  sktibo (10-02-2017)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    SGC+TRB Creool
    Nationality
    NL
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V22

Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofhatton View Post
    Which one is truely Germanic, Europe West or Great Britain?

Im half German descended from Western Germany[Baden, Wurtemberg, and Westphalia]
    Yet I have 0-0% Europe West.
    Hidden in my irish lineage are unrecognized english/saxons and french hughnot due to marrying catholics.
    What do full German people get as their main genetic type on ancestrydna?
    Quite interested aswell in regional variation of primary genetic type in different states of Germany.

Thank you for any responses
    As from North Dutch stock I got some mixed results indeed.

On FTDNA:

0% West and Central Europe

or Gencove:

On DNA Land:

The last one is most accurat.

When there is no Northwest European category my admixture get's diffused...

But even then!!

This is the result from my heritage with a North-West European category:

:

So on the whole the admixtures aren't very sharp.....
    Last edited by Finn; 10-01-2017 at 07:20 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Finn For This Useful Post:

A Norfolk L-M20 (10-01-2017),  Robert1 (10-01-2017)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L193(BY2634)

Northern Ireland Ireland Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by CelticGerman View Post
    I am not sure what a full German is, for we are all the result of admixture events in the past. Nevertheless, I might be the kind of German you are looking for. According to paper trail I am 96% German (70% North German). Besides this there are a few Danish, Austrian, Swiss and Czech ancestors.

My ancestry result is here (range 0-72% for Europe West, 0-49% for Great Britain .... which means other ancestry percentages are possible).
    Attachment 19083

For comparison:

FTDNA 100% West and Central Europe. Attachment 19084

Living DNA. Attachment 19085

23andMe. Attachment 19086

By the way, it seems difficult to make a difference between Europe West and Great Britain. Great Britain is part of Western Europe. You will find strong Germanic influence in Britain due to migration events in the past. However, the Celtic is still there.

Germany is not "purely" Germanic, because there are important Celtic contributions as well, more in the south than in the north or the east. And there are Slavic contributions above all in the east.

Did you upload your data to GEDmatch? There are many possibilities to analyse your DNA. Tools made available by different people are much better than results from commercial companies.
    Interesting that Living DNA didn't place you into a GB category.I wonder if AncestryDNA classes GB as more of a Germanic category rather than an actual GB category?

I'd do a LivingDNA test if it weren't for its insufficient Irish data.
    Last edited by Nqp15hhu; 10-01-2017 at 09:28 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Nqp15hhu For This Useful Post:

Robert1 (10-01-2017)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    SGC+TRB Creool
    Nationality
    NL
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V22

Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Nqp15hhu View Post
    Interesting that Living DNA didn't place you into a GB category.I wonder if AncestryDNA classes GB as more of a Germanic category rather than an actual GB category?

I presume a little commercial interest to, most costumers are either American or British. When the Anglo Saxon component leads them to NW European continent they are probably confused, so from commercial interest it's safer to do this reverse!?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Finn For This Useful Post:

Robert1 (10-01-2017)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L193(BY2634)

I don't know, but I find it bizarre that a German would have more GB than someone from GB. I think all the mixing was the other way around i.e from Germany to GB, not GB to Germany.

I doubt any of his ancestry is from Britain.
    Last edited by Nqp15hhu; 10-01-2017 at 09:53 AM.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    SGC+TRB Creool
    Nationality
    NL
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V22

Netherlands
    I don't know, but I find it bizarre that a German would have more GB than someone from GB. I think all the mixing was the other way around i.e from Germany to GB, not GB to Germany.
    Correct but then a quite deal of the British would be labeled as German....

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L193(BY2634)

You mean English.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Nqp15hhu For This Useful Post:

Finn (10-01-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    German
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-CTS4333 (U152/Z36)
    mtDNA (M)
    H
    Y-DNA (M)
    I1-L22
    mtDNA (P)
    U5a1b2

The initial result from LivingDNA was more British/English (see attached map), but the up-date changed it (closer to reality, I guess. Attachment 19088

LivingDNA's "Germanic" area seems a little bit simplistic, because Celtic and Slavic admixture is not visible at all.
    Known ancestry: 92.6% German (66.8% North German), 4.7% Danish, 1.8% Czech, 0.8% Austrian, 0.1% Swiss.
    EUROGENES K13: N German, N Dutch, DNK, SWE, NOR. Ancestry: Germanic 75%, Sweden 13%, Norway 11%, Baltic 1%. LM: NOR, DNK, NLD, N-DEU, SWE.
    23andMe: NW Europe 82.5% (French/German 50.2%, Scandinavian 9.1%, British/Irish 3.2%), East Europe 11.5%, South Europe 1.5%. DNAL: NW Euro 81%, NE Euro 11%, Med 6.5%

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CelticGerman For This Useful Post:

Robert1 (10-01-2017),  Ron from PA (10-06-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    German
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-CTS4333 (U152/Z36)
    mtDNA (M)
    H
    Y-DNA (M)
    I1-L22
    mtDNA (P)
    U5a1b2

I doubt any of his ancestry is from Britain.
    Generally speaking, you are probably right. Nevertheless, you can notice some movements from Britain to Germany in history as well (Scottish settlers in Eastern Germany, missionaries, mercenaries during Thirty Years' War). And I am quite sure Anglosaxons brought people from Britain to their initial homelands (as slaves maybe, no proof however).

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CelticGerman For This Useful Post:

Robert1 (10-01-2017),  sktibo (10-02-2017)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast