Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 74

Thread: Genetic Communities: Is there a time line till out of beta?

  1. #11
    Registered Users
    Posts
    961
    Sex
    Location
    Sarasota, Fl. USA
    Ethnicity
    Scot
    Nationality
    American Naturalized
    Y-DNA (P)
    YP6291 R1a1a1b2a2a*
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c23

    United States of America Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Nqp15hhu View Post
    What does 20% really mean? Does that mean you have a chance of having ancestry?
    With unknowns in my ancestry, I look at it both ways, 20% chance of belonging and an 80% of not.

  2. #12
    Registered Users
    Posts
    121
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European-Blend
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-Z59

    Ireland Canada Quebec Germany Palatinate England Netherlands Scotland
    My father received 5 Genetic Communities: French Settlers along the St Lawrence, Early Settlers of New York, Settlers of the Massachusetts Coast and Nova Scotia, Scots, and English Newfoundlanders.
    My mother received 1: Settlers of Southeastern New York
    I received 3: French Settlers along the St Lawrence, Settlers of Southeastern New York, and English Newfoundlanders
    A sister received 3: Early Settlers of New York, Scots, and Settlers of the Massachusetts Coast and Nova Scotia
    A different sister received 1: Scots
    AncestryDNA Genetic Communities
    Father: Canadian Maritimes Acadian, Newfoundland & Southeastern Labrador Settlers, Nova Scotia & Prince Edward Island Settlers, New England Settlers, New York Settlers, Southwestern Quebec French Settlers, Southwestern Quebec & New York & Vermont French Settlers
    Mother: Southern Ontario Settlers, New York Settlers, Nova Scotia & Prince Edward Island Settlers
    AncestryDNA: England & Northwestern Europe: 49%, Scotland: 39%, Ireland 8%, Germanic Europe 4%

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to kujira692 For This Useful Post:

     chelle (08-18-2017)

  4. #13
    Registered Users
    Posts
    961
    Sex
    Location
    Sarasota, Fl. USA
    Ethnicity
    Scot
    Nationality
    American Naturalized
    Y-DNA (P)
    YP6291 R1a1a1b2a2a*
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c23

    United States of America Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by kujira692 View Post
    My father received 5 Genetic Communities: French Settlers along the St Lawrence, Early Settlers of New York, Settlers of the Massachusetts Coast and Nova Scotia, Scots, and English Newfoundlanders.
    My mother received 1: Settlers of Southeastern New York
    I received 3: French Settlers along the St Lawrence, Settlers of Southeastern New York, and English Newfoundlanders
    A sister received 3: Early Settlers of New York, Scots, and Settlers of the Massachusetts Coast and Nova Scotia
    A different sister received 1: Scots
    How accurate would you rate the above?

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Amerijoe For This Useful Post:

     kujira692 (08-20-2017)

  6. #14
    Silver Class Member
    Posts
    4,304
    Sex
    Location
    British Columbia
    Ethnicity
    Canadian Prairies Mix
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA (M)
    T2B-T152C

    Canada England Scotland Germany Poland France
    Quote Originally Posted by Nqp15hhu View Post
    What does 20% really mean? Does that mean you have a chance of having ancestry?
    Just means it's less certain about it. My GC's are both at 20% and I definitely have ancestry from both of the regions - quite a bit of it in fact.
    IIRC MacUalraig's "Scots" GC is also 20% and I believe he lives in Scotland? His ancestry is quite certain anyways. Ancestry is just erring on the side of caution, very few people I've seen have incorrect or mismatching GC's.. it's accuracy rate is incredibly high even at 20% probability.
    Last edited by sktibo; 08-15-2017 at 06:25 PM.
    Paper trail ancestry to the best of my knowledge:
    English (possibly containing some Welsh ancestry) 31.25%, Scottish 17.96%, Scotch-Irish 12.5%, Eastern German 12.5%, Eastern European (Likely Polish possibly including Romanian) 12.5%, French 7.81%, Native American (Saulteaux and Assiniboine) 2.34%, and Colonial American, 3.125%, which cannot be traced with certainty. With certainty, there is Dutch (at least 1.36%) and some English.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to sktibo For This Useful Post:

     chelle (08-18-2017)

  8. #15
    Registered Users
    Posts
    1,886
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L193(BY2634)

    Northern Ireland Ireland Scotland
    So in my case, would that mean Ulster Scots extraction or actual Scottish Ancestors, further back?
    Last edited by Nqp15hhu; 08-15-2017 at 06:58 PM.

  9. #16
    Registered Users
    Posts
    1,364
    Sex
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ethnicity
    Pictland/Deira
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-M222-FGC5864
    mtDNA (M)
    H5r*

    Quote Originally Posted by Nqp15hhu View Post
    So in my case, would that mean Ulster Scots extraction or actual Scottish Ancestors, further back?
    I was a bit confused by your GCs - mine is the combined 'Central Scotland and Ulster Ireland' which is a subset of Scots. You as I understand are in the Ulster Irish GC plus the Scots. Reading their descriptions of the Ulster Irish I'm unclear whether this is supposed to exclude an element of Scot...; not to mention what the difference between my one group and your two are :-)
    YSEQ:#37; YFull: YF01405 (Y Elite 2013)
    WGS (Full Genomes Nov 2015, YSEQ Feb 2019, Dante Mar 2019, FGC-10X Linked Reads Apr 2019, Dante-Nanopore May 2019, Chronomics Jan 2020, Sano Genetics Feb 2020, Nebula Genomics June 2020)
    Ancestry GCs: Scots in central Scotland & Ulster, Ireland; English in Yorkshire & Pennines
    Hidden Content
    FBIMatch: A828783 (autosomal DNA) for segment matching DO NOT POST ADMIXTURE REPORTS USING MY KIT

  10. #17
    Registered Users
    Posts
    1,886
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L193(BY2634)

    Northern Ireland Ireland Scotland
    Nope. Ulster Irish is a seperate Irish group, my second group is Scots, and no area is defined, just Scotland.

    I think your group is Ulster Scots.

  11. #18
    Registered Users
    Posts
    1,364
    Sex
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ethnicity
    Pictland/Deira
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-M222-FGC5864
    mtDNA (M)
    H5r*

    Yes that's what I said - probably we should put quote marks around their names when they contain 'and' in them ;-)

    I would debate the suggestion that my group is Ulster Scots although I do have a bit of Ulster ancestry for a few generations (Belfast area). Its a minority at least as far as the paper trail goes.
    YSEQ:#37; YFull: YF01405 (Y Elite 2013)
    WGS (Full Genomes Nov 2015, YSEQ Feb 2019, Dante Mar 2019, FGC-10X Linked Reads Apr 2019, Dante-Nanopore May 2019, Chronomics Jan 2020, Sano Genetics Feb 2020, Nebula Genomics June 2020)
    Ancestry GCs: Scots in central Scotland & Ulster, Ireland; English in Yorkshire & Pennines
    Hidden Content
    FBIMatch: A828783 (autosomal DNA) for segment matching DO NOT POST ADMIXTURE REPORTS USING MY KIT

  12. #19
    Registered Users
    Posts
    1,886
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L193(BY2634)

    Northern Ireland Ireland Scotland
    Perhaps it's Western Scotland then?

  13. #20
    Registered Users
    Posts
    1,364
    Sex
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ethnicity
    Pictland/Deira
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-M222-FGC5864
    mtDNA (M)
    H5r*

    Quote Originally Posted by Nqp15hhu View Post
    Perhaps it's Western Scotland then?
    In case you've not spotted you can view all the GCs whether you are in them or not, and read the descriptions. Just go to the bottom and it says

    "See which Genetic Communities are available today." and hit View All.
    YSEQ:#37; YFull: YF01405 (Y Elite 2013)
    WGS (Full Genomes Nov 2015, YSEQ Feb 2019, Dante Mar 2019, FGC-10X Linked Reads Apr 2019, Dante-Nanopore May 2019, Chronomics Jan 2020, Sano Genetics Feb 2020, Nebula Genomics June 2020)
    Ancestry GCs: Scots in central Scotland & Ulster, Ireland; English in Yorkshire & Pennines
    Hidden Content
    FBIMatch: A828783 (autosomal DNA) for segment matching DO NOT POST ADMIXTURE REPORTS USING MY KIT

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. I''ve got new genetic communities
    By firemonkey in forum AncestryDNA
    Replies: 188
    Last Post: 09-04-2020, 08:08 PM
  2. New Genetic Communities (Ireland)
    By greerpalmer in forum AncestryDNA
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 05-16-2020, 03:20 AM
  3. How many people are in your Genetic Communities?
    By Loderingo in forum AncestryDNA
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 08-21-2019, 11:44 PM
  4. Why don't I have more genetic communities?
    By Hatton1995 in forum AncestryDNA
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-16-2019, 11:35 AM
  5. Time for some more Genetic Communities!
    By Loderingo in forum AncestryDNA
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 09-20-2018, 10:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •