Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aberdeenshire - Irish?

Aberdeenshire - Irish?

Hi all,

I've Aberdeenshire in my results at a significant percentage, something which I've never heard of before. I checked on cautious mode, and see that it covers both Aberdeenshire AND Ireland. I can't confirm any Irish ancestry so far, but by using my logic and what I know of my ancestry currently, Irish seems like it's more likely than Scottish, though I could be wrong.

If my hunch is right, and it's Irish and not Scottish DNA, which as I've said is more likely in my opinion, why is it not just showing up as Ireland? I'm very, very confused. Does this mean it might actually be Scottish DNA instead? It's just that I can't vouch for it right now.

I'm a newbie to all this DNA research, but I feel like their cautious groupings are a bit bizarre. I know a singular 'Ireland' group exists, so why is there Irish grouped again under Aberdeenshire? Also noticed that Southern England and Southwest Scotland were in the same cautious grouping.

I just don't understand.

Thank you

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nortunal For This Useful Post:

Amerijoe (08-15-2017),  Jessie (08-16-2017),  MacEochaidh (08-16-2017),  Robert1 (08-19-2017),  [email protected] (08-15-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly Welsh,+ flags
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a- Z283 - Y128147
    mtDNA (M)
    J2a1a1a

Wales Scotland Ireland Cornwall United Kingdom
    Hi Nortunal, and welcome to the forum, all of our results are work in progress, there is a significant Irish dataset currently being completed, and will be fully intergrated into our results at an as yet unknown date, this might pull people who have real Irish heritage to give a higher % of Irish in their results, From what I understand it’s normally the SW Scotland then the NW Scotland that gets mistaken for Irish, so might be real, but wait for the update.
    Gedmatch
    Kit Num: M129412, QA3736362
    23andme
    Hidden Content
    LivingDNA
    Hidden Content

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to [email protected] For This Useful Post:

Amerijoe (08-15-2017),  JMcB (08-17-2017),  Robert1 (08-19-2017)

So upon the update, my Aberdeenshire section would likely change to Irish, and if not, it's probably Scottish?

Sorry to be so silly with these questions, I just got a bit confused with the groupings.

Thank you

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Nortunal For This Useful Post:

[email protected] (08-16-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Scot
    Nationality
    American Naturalized
    Y-DNA (P)
    YP6291 R1a1a1b2a2a*
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c23

United States of America Scotland
    Welcome!

Nortunal, as sgdavies mentioned livingdna is a work in progress with stated updates to follow. In cautious mode, my results incorporate Southwest Scotland, Ireland, Aberdeenshire, and Northwest Scotland into Aberdeenshire related [email protected]%.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Amerijoe For This Useful Post:

JMcB (08-17-2017),  Robert1 (08-19-2017),  [email protected] (08-16-2017)

My results say Aberdeenshire across all the modes if that makes a difference. No mention of Ireland at all. Just when I saw it grouped the two together in the cautious mode, it confused me. I'm pretty sure it would be Irish as opposed to Scottish as I have a relatively solid reason as to why it would be one more than the other, but who knows?

Hopefully a future update will be able to split the results into separate sections, because I'm curious, and have also hit a brick wall with my ancestry, and since this is a substantial piece, would really help me progress.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nortunal For This Useful Post:

JMcB (08-17-2017),  [email protected] (08-16-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V13
    mtDNA (M)
    H24a1

Ireland Germany Palatinate Cornwall Germany Bayern Switzerland Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Nortunal View Post
    Hi all,

I've Aberdeenshire in my results at a significant percentage, something which I've never heard of before. I checked on cautious mode, and see that it covers both Aberdeenshire AND Ireland. I can't confirm any Irish ancestry so far, but by using my logic and what I know of my ancestry currently, Irish seems like it's more likely than Scottish, though I could be wrong.

If my hunch is right, and it's Irish and not Scottish DNA, which as I've said is more likely in my opinion, why is it not just showing up as Ireland? I'm very, very confused. Does this mean it might actually be Scottish DNA instead? It's just that I can't vouch for it right now.

I'm a newbie to all this DNA research, but I feel like their cautious groupings are a bit bizarre. I know a singular 'Ireland' group exists, so why is there Irish grouped again under Aberdeenshire? Also noticed that Southern England and Southwest Scotland were in the same cautious grouping.

I just don't understand.

Thank you
    So you don't think its accurate based on a hunch? What do you know about your ancestry?
    After much research I've found that many of my English ancestors came from Scotland. Also, the people in Northern Ireland are a mix between Irish, English and Scottish.
    Predominately English, Irish & German with Dutch, Swiss, French & Polish
    Y Haplogroup E-V13 ("Siegel" via Prussia), Mt Haplogroup H24a1 (via Unknown)

GEDmatch Kits: A436029, M213836, Z169952 GEDCOM: 7950338

Ancestry: Hidden Content
    MyHeritage: Hidden Content
    23andme: Hidden Content
    Living DNA: Hidden Content

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to greerpalmer For This Useful Post:

Amerijoe (08-15-2017),  JMcB (08-15-2017),  Robert1 (08-15-2017),  [email protected] (08-16-2017)

I've ancestors from a place that has had significant Irish influx within the past 200 years. A relative of mine also told me that there's Irish blood on that side of the family, I've just hit a brick wall with my paper trail on that part of my research and can't confirm it 100%. I never denied that it's Scottish and said so in the original post, just that I can't vouch for it currently. Given that the cautious mode is showing both Ireland and Scotland as one, I have more reason to believe it's Irish, that's all.

Of course my family will be mixed, but I just haven't got the resources to research as deep as I'd like to for multiple reasons at the moment. I'm working with hearsay and what I'm slowly digging up simultaneously.

I was not aware of the research project currently going on and that results will probably change in the future. I'm sure these updates will clear up my question.
    Last edited by Nortunal; 08-15-2017 at 10:09 PM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nortunal For This Useful Post:

JMcB (08-15-2017),  [email protected] (08-16-2017)

Silver Class Member
    Sex
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA (M)
    T2B-T152C

England Scotland Austrian Empire Canada Quebec Netherlands
    On my previous calculation run by Living DNA (my results have changed twice since receiving them) I had SW Scotland 3.0%, Ireland 3.1%, Aberdeenshire 4.2%, and Cumbria 3.6%. Now I have Aberdeenshire 11.5%, and Cumbria 2.4%. If we add up the difference lost with Cumbria (1.2%) plus Ireland (3.1) plus SW Scotland (3) plus Aberdeenshire before (4.2) we get 11.5, which is what I have currently assigned to Aberdeenshire. This indicates to me that Ireland is close enough genetically to Aberdeenshire for the two to become mixed up with a new calculation in place, as you can see my Ireland percentage was absorbed into my Aberdeenshire precentage currently - HOWEVER, note that my Irish ancestry isn't native Irish, at least half of it (6% of my total paper trail) is Scotch Irish and my other Irish ancestors were most likely Scotch Irish as well, though I don't have definitive proof for this.

Like some others have pointed out, we're waiting on the Irish DNA project to be completed, as that should let you know if you have any strong genetic similarities to the Irish populations - I will not at all be surprised if some of your Aberdeenshire ancestry gets re-located to an Irish region - What would be most interesting is if this would be a Northern Irish region.
    Last edited by sktibo; 08-15-2017 at 11:02 PM.
    Flags represent known or paper trail ancestry from greatest to least:
    England, Scotland, Austro-Hungarian Empire, (Galicia Poland) French-Canadian, and Dutch American settlers.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sktibo For This Useful Post:

JMcB (08-16-2017),  Robert1 (08-19-2017),  [email protected] (08-16-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by sktibo View Post
    On my previous calculation run by Living DNA (my results have changed twice since receiving them) I had SW Scotland 3.0%, Ireland 3.1%, Aberdeenshire 4.2%, and Cumbria 3.6%. Now I have Aberdeenshire 11.5%, and Cumbria 2.4%. If we add up the difference lost with Cumbria (1.2%) plus Ireland (3.1) plus SW Scotland (3) plus Aberdeenshire before (4.2) we get 11.5, which is what I have currently assigned to Aberdeenshire. This indicates to me that Ireland is close enough genetically to Aberdeenshire for the two to become mixed up with a new calculation in place, as you can see my Ireland percentage was absorbed into my Aberdeenshire precentage currently - HOWEVER, note that my Irish ancestry isn't native Irish, at least half of it (6% of my total paper trail) is Scotch Irish and my other Irish ancestors were most likely Scotch Irish as well, though I don't have definitive proof for this.

Like some others have pointed out, we're waiting on the Irish DNA project to be completed, as that should let you know if you have any strong genetic similarities to the Irish populations - I will not at all be surprised if some of your Aberdeenshire ancestry gets re-located to an Irish region - What would be most interesting is if this would be a Northern Irish region.
    Thank you for your reply.

I didn't account for the fact that it could be a Scottish-Irish mix. I guess I'll find out with the future updates what the Aberdeenshire region will split up into, and hopefully that will clarify a lot of things. I'm very curious to find out about the Aberdeenshire section now, and whether it changes or not. My results changed once before from something really inaccurate to something much more accurate and true to what I know, but the Aberdeenshire was still there. If and when it updates, I'll let you know.
    Last edited by Nortunal; 08-16-2017 at 09:51 AM.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nortunal For This Useful Post:

JMcB (08-17-2017),  Robert1 (08-19-2017),  [email protected] (08-16-2017),  sktibo (08-16-2017)

Silver Class Member
    Sex
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA (M)
    T2B-T152C

England Scotland Austrian Empire Canada Quebec Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Nortunal View Post
    Thank you for your reply.

I didn't account for the fact that it could be a Scottish-Irish mix. I guess I'll find out with the future updates what the Aberdeenshire region will split up into, and hopefully that will clarify a lot of things. I'm very curious to find out about the Aberdeenshire section now, and whether it changes or not. My results changed once before from something really inaccurate to something much more accurate and true to what I know, but the Aberdeenshire was still there. If and when it updates, I'll let you know.
    My grandfather's mother's people were all from Ireland. He was very proud of his Irish roots and would talk about it a fair bit. However, when I got into genealogy I noticed their surnames weren't Irish and their religious affiliations appeared to be protestant. It was a paper trail brick wall for quite a long time, until a DNA relative helped me break half of it, and actually gave me the information for 2/4 3rd Great Grandparents from that line: They were Scottish settlers in Northern Ireland. All of their records stated they were from "Ireland" no indicator of where within that, and on some censuses they listed their ethnicity as "Irish" while on others they were listed as "Scotch" it really wasn't clear - maybe they identified as Irish and passed that identity down to their children. I'm still working on the other 2/4 3x G-Grandparents but I won't be surprised if there's no native Irish in there.
    The TL;DR of this is that if you have ancestors from Ireland it's possible they might have not been native Irish at all - however I think a quick look at their religion and their surnames on record will be a huge indicator of what they were ethnically speaking
    Flags represent known or paper trail ancestry from greatest to least:
    England, Scotland, Austro-Hungarian Empire, (Galicia Poland) French-Canadian, and Dutch American settlers.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sktibo For This Useful Post:

JMcB (08-16-2017),  ollie444 (08-16-2017),  Robert1 (08-19-2017)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast