Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V13
    mtDNA (M)
    H24a1

Ireland Germany Palatinate Cornwall Germany Bayern Switzerland Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by sktibo View Post
    He was very proud of his Irish roots and would talk about it a fair bit. However, when I got into genealogy I noticed their surnames weren't Irish and their religious affiliations appeared to be protestant. Ig
    This is a great way to get directional information when you hit a wall. Where are the surnames most common? What religion does the line affiliate with?
    My proud Irish-Catholic family has quite a bit of North-Irish protestant mixed in up the line. Some older colonial lines were even sent to America to "stop the spread of the catholic plague" by the King of England at the time. I guess "the plague" won.
    Last edited by greerpalmer; 08-16-2017 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Selective Grammar OCD
    Predominately English, Irish & German with Dutch, Swiss, French & Polish
    Y Haplogroup E-V13 ("Siegel" via Prussia), Mt Haplogroup H24a1 (via Unknown)

GEDmatch Kits: A436029, M213836, Z169952 GEDCOM: 7950338

Ancestry: Hidden Content
    MyHeritage: Hidden Content
    23andme: Hidden Content
    Living DNA: Hidden Content

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greerpalmer For This Useful Post:

JMcB (08-17-2017),  Robert1 (08-19-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by sktibo View Post
    My grandfather's mother's people were all from Ireland. He was very proud of his Irish roots and would talk about it a fair bit. However, when I got into genealogy I noticed their surnames weren't Irish and their religious affiliations appeared to be protestant. It was a paper trail brick wall for quite a long time, until a DNA relative helped me break half of it, and actually gave me the information for 2/4 3rd Great Grandparents from that line: They were Scottish settlers in Northern Ireland. All of their records stated they were from "Ireland" no indicator of where within that, and on some censuses they listed their ethnicity as "Irish" while on others they were listed as "Scotch" it really wasn't clear - maybe they identified as Irish and passed that identity down to their children. I'm still working on the other 2/4 3x G-Grandparents but I won't be surprised if there's no native Irish in there.
    The TL;DR of this is that if you have ancestors from Ireland it's possible they might have not been native Irish at all - however I think a quick look at their religion and their surnames on record will be a huge indicator of what they were ethnically speaking
    Thank you for your reply once again.

I need to figure out how to move past the brick wall and then see what other surnames are in there. It will probably give me the biggest clue, as you mentioned. I'll keep trying, and wait for the update on LivingDNA too. Either way, I'm very interested to see where this Aberdeenshire section is really coming from.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nortunal For This Useful Post:

JMcB (08-17-2017),  [email protected] (08-17-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    German and British
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-FT25845
    mtDNA (M)
    T2G

United States of America Germany England Scotland Switzerland United States Gadsden
    Growing up was told by both sides we had Irish. Upon investigating all the names are likely Scottish/English.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ron from PA For This Useful Post:

Amerijoe (08-17-2017),  JMcB (08-17-2017),  [email protected] (08-17-2017),  sktibo (08-17-2017)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish Canadian
    Nationality
    Canada
    Y-DNA (P)
    L513->Z23516>BY11142
    mtDNA (M)
    H1bd

Canada Ireland Scotland England Ireland County Tipperary Canada Old Newfoundland
    this has already been hinted at, and there are others on the forum with a much better grasp of the history than I, but it should also be remembered that historically, the Irish and Scottish were quite close cousins to begin with, linguistically, culturally and genetically...so it can be quite tricky to genuinely separate dna info on the two

Add to that, there were several large influxes of one to the other, over the last few thousand years, examples being the Dal Riata Irish colonizing a significant part of Scotland in the 5th century

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C3%A1l_Riata

Someone else mentioned the English overlords transplanting troublesome Scots into Ireland as an example of the genetic flow going the other way

The Irish Sea was never a barrier between the countries, but rather, a highway, a particularly convenient way to travel between the two and that is true for the last several thousand years I believe

In any case, better sampling data and deep dna testing does increasingly shed light on it all, but dont be dismayed by all the confusion and similarities...they exist for very real historical reasons

good luck

Mike
    Furthest Y line=Patrick Whealen 1816-1874, b.Tipperary Co. Ire. d. Kincardine Ont.

Y-DNA-RL21-L513-Z23516-BY11142('lost Irish 'C' boys?')

FTDNA=P312+ P25+ M343+ M269+ M207+ M173+ L513+ U198- U152- U106- SRY2627- P66- P107- M73- M65- M37- M222- M18- M160- M153- M126- L705- L577- L193- L159.2- L1333-
    Big-Y=Z23516+
    23&me=L21+
    E.A.= S21-, S26-, S28-, S29-, S68-
    Geno 2 (N.G.P.) H1bd+

Whalen/Phelan DNA Surname Project
    Hidden Content

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeWhalen For This Useful Post:

Jessie (08-18-2017),  JMcB (08-17-2017),  Robert1 (08-19-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish, Scots, Quebecoise
    Nationality
    American/Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    RL21-DF23>ZP149
    mtDNA (M)
    T2g1

Northern Ireland Ireland Scotland Canada Quebec
    Many native Irish names have been changed to English forms. I have Donegal names O'Duibhir, O'Duibhne, MacRuari and O'Brolachain changed to Diver, Peoples, Rodgers, and Bradley respectively. All, except Bradley, come from the Gaeltacht Region of Gaoth Dobhair, Donegal. So, the current "King Of Tory Island", Padraig Donal MacRuari, is called Patsy Dan Rodgers in English. Quite a difference!
    Y-DNA R-DF23>ZP149>ZP171 MDKA Thomas Doherty, b. 1825, Three Trees, Donegal, Ireland.
    mtDNA T2g1 MDKA Francoise Arguin, b. 1698, Camaret-Sur-Mer, Bretagne, France

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MacEochaidh For This Useful Post:

Jessie (08-18-2017),  JMcB (08-17-2017),  MikeWhalen (08-17-2017),  Robert1 (08-19-2017),  sktibo (08-17-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Nationality
    British/Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-Z140
    mtDNA (M)
    U5B2B3A1

United Kingdom Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Nortunal View Post
    Hi all,

I've Aberdeenshire in my results at a significant percentage, something which I've never heard of before. I checked on cautious mode, and see that it covers both Aberdeenshire AND Ireland. I can't confirm any Irish ancestry so far, but by using my logic and what I know of my ancestry currently, Irish seems like it's more likely than Scottish, though I could be wrong.

If my hunch is right, and it's Irish and not Scottish DNA, which as I've said is more likely in my opinion, why is it not just showing up as Ireland? I'm very, very confused. Does this mean it might actually be Scottish DNA instead? It's just that I can't vouch for it right now.

I'm a newbie to all this DNA research, but I feel like their cautious groupings are a bit bizarre. I know a singular 'Ireland' group exists, so why is there Irish grouped again under Aberdeenshire? Also noticed that Southern England and Southwest Scotland were in the same cautious grouping.

I just don't understand.

Thank you
    Hi Nortunal.

My mother side is Ulster Irish descent and my father is Ulster Scot they are descendant from a bunch of migrates who came from lowland Scotland. So I don't know where my Aberdeenshire percentage came from. My Aberdeenshire percentage is 8% . Unless some of my Ulster Scots lines are ancestors came from the Aberdeenshire area. I can't get my head around this percentage but I don't think that's the case because the vast majority of people are reporting Aberdeenshire percentages with no known Aberdeenshire heritage.

Kind Regards

Jonathan McGuinness
    Last edited by jonathanmcg1990; 08-18-2017 at 02:29 PM.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jonathanmcg1990 For This Useful Post:

Jessie (08-18-2017),  JMcB (08-17-2017),  Robert1 (08-19-2017),  [email protected]il.com (08-17-2017)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English, Scottish & Irish
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-FT80854
    mtDNA (M)
    H1e2
    mtDNA (P)
    K1

England Scotland Ireland Germany Bayern Italy Two Sicilies France
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron from PA View Post
    Growing up was told by both sides we had Irish. Upon investigating all the names are likely Scottish/English.

Yes, what we were told often folds under closer examination. Growing up I was told my Grandfather, whose surname was originally Lo Bianco, was Italian. Which makes sense. On closer inspection, it turns out that he was 1/2 Irish, 1/4 German and only 1/4 Italian. My mother's maternal side of the family was confidently said to be entirely English. Well, after a year of searching around, I found out they're actually 1/2 English & 1/2 Scottish. Needless to say, I could go on but I know everyone else has experienced the same kind of thing.

This line of endeavor is full of surprises.
    Last edited by JMcB; 08-17-2017 at 03:28 PM.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JMcB For This Useful Post:

MikeWhalen (08-17-2017),  Robert1 (08-19-2017),  Ron from PA (08-18-2017),  [email protected] (08-17-2017)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English, Scottish & Irish
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-FT80854
    mtDNA (M)
    H1e2
    mtDNA (P)
    K1

England Scotland Ireland Germany Bayern Italy Two Sicilies France
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEochaidh View Post
    Many native Irish names have been changed to English forms. I have Donegal names O'Duibhir, O'Duibhne, MacRuari and O'Brolachain changed to Diver, Peoples, Rodgers, and Bradley respectively. All, except Bradley, come from the Gaeltacht Region of Gaoth Dobhair, Donegal. So, the current "King Of Tory Island", Padraig Donal MacRuari, is called Patsy Dan Rodgers in English. Quite a difference!
    Hello MacEochaidh,

Out of curiosity, do you know where the O'Brolachain/Bradley name comes from in Ireland. My Great Grandmother, who was of proud Irish descent, was a Bradley.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JMcB For This Useful Post:

MikeWhalen (08-17-2017),  [email protected] (08-17-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish, Scots, Quebecoise
    Nationality
    American/Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    RL21-DF23>ZP149
    mtDNA (M)
    T2g1

Quote Originally Posted by JMcB View Post
    Hello MacEochaidh,

Out of curiosity, do you know where the O'Brolachain/Bradley name comes from in Ireland. My Great Grandmother, who was of proud Irish descent, was a Bradley.
    My Bradleys are from Muff Parish, Donegal, just west of Derry Town. The name is most popular in Derry and Inishowen, Donegal currently, but I've read that the name originated in Tyrone.
    Last edited by MacEochaidh; 08-17-2017 at 04:27 PM.
    Y-DNA R-DF23>ZP149>ZP171 MDKA Thomas Doherty, b. 1825, Three Trees, Donegal, Ireland.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to MacEochaidh For This Useful Post:

JMcB (08-17-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish, Scots, Quebecoise
    Nationality
    American/Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    RL21-DF23>ZP149
    mtDNA (M)
    T2g1

Quote Originally Posted by JMcB View Post
    Hello MacEochaidh,

This should also help: http://www.billmacafee.com/1660shear...rollsderry.pdf

Bradley, Derry Heart 1663.png

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MacEochaidh For This Useful Post:

Robert1 (08-19-2017),  [email protected] (08-17-2017)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast