Y-DNA (P)
    I-FT80854
    mtDNA (M)
    H1e2
    mtDNA (P)
    K1

England Scotland Ireland Germany Bayern Italy Two Sicilies France
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEochaidh View Post
    My Bradleys are from Muff Parish, Donegal, just west of Derry Town. The name is most popular in Derry and Inishowen, Donegal currently, but I've read that the name originated in Tyrone.
    Thanks for the tip! All I know is both her parents where born in Ireland circa the 1840s and they came to America sometime before 1868 which is when she was born. Plus, they were Catholic.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JMcB For This Useful Post:

[email protected] (08-17-2017)

Silver Class Member
    Sex
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA (M)
    T2B-T152C

England Scotland Austrian Empire Canada Quebec Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathanmcg1990 View Post
    Hi Nortunal.

My mother side is Ulster Irish descent and my father is Ulster Scot they are descendant from a bunch of migrates who came from lowland Scotland. So I don't know where my Aberdeenshire percentage came from. I have 8% Aberdeenshire. Unless some of my Ulster Scots lines are ancestors who came from the Aberdeenshire area I can't get my head around it but I don't think that's the case the vast of people are reporting Aberdeenshire percentages with no known Aberdennshire percentages.

Kind Regards

Jonathan McGuinness
    I just want to highlight this point Jonathan made: since Living DNA changed their calculation, a lot more people have received aberdeenshire percentages, and many of them don't have ancestry from that region. I will point out that I actually don't have any ancestry from any of the regions which can be included under Living DNA's aberdeenshire.
    Flags represent known or paper trail ancestry from greatest to least:
    England, Scotland, Austro-Hungarian Empire, (Galicia Poland) French-Canadian, and Dutch American settlers.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sktibo For This Useful Post:

Amerijoe (08-19-2017),  jonathanmcg1990 (08-18-2017),  MacUalraig (08-17-2017),  ollie444 (08-18-2017),  Robert1 (08-19-2017)

Thanks for all your replies.

I was finding it difficult to understand their cautious groups, but I think I do fall into one of the Aberdeenshire regions somewhere. I'll wait for the update and see what happens.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British & Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b>L513>A7> BY11186
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a4a1f
    Y-DNA (M)
    R-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    J2b1

Scotland Wales Ireland England Germany Netherlands
    Yes, thanks for the many informative comments! I have about 6% Aberdeenshire that I can't account for and believe my 6% Irish should be about 17%. I was expecting after Living DNA's Irish update about 10% might be pulled from north and central England to Ireland but now expect some will be pulled from Scotland. My family records turn up about 21% Scot and I believe it's NW/Highlands. LDNA assigns almost 21% NW Scotland which fits like a glove.

I must applaud Living DNA, my results are quite good already and after the Irish and German updates they should get better. These frequent upgrades of their reference database are much appreciated.

Estimated ancestry after reviewing Ancestry.com, 23&Me, FTDNA My Origins, Living DNA and known family history:
    33% English, 27% Scottish, 18% Welsh, 18% Irish, 4% German/Netherlands

Y-DNA leads to Isle of Skye, Scottish Highlands: R1b>M343>L278>L754>L389>P297>M269>L23>L51>L151/L11>P312>Z290>L21/M529>DF13>L513/DF1>S5668>A7>Z21253> S7834 > S7828 > BY11203 > BY11186 (about 320-550 years old)

MTDNA leads to Glamorgan, South Wales: K1a4a1f

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robert1 For This Useful Post:

Amerijoe (08-19-2017),  MikeWhalen (08-19-2017)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English, Scottish & Irish
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-FT80854
    mtDNA (M)
    H1e2
    mtDNA (P)
    K1

England Scotland Ireland Germany Bayern Italy Two Sicilies France
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert1 View Post
    Yes, thanks for the many informative comments! I have about 6% Aberdeenshire that I can't account for and believe my 6% Irish should be about 17%. I was expecting after Living DNA's Irish update about 10% might be pulled from north and central England to Ireland but now expect some will be pulled from Scotland. My family records turn up about 21% Scot and I believe it's NW/Highlands. LDNA assigns almost 21% NW Scotland which fits like a glove.

I must applaud Living DNA, my results are quite good already and after the Irish and German updates they should get better. These frequent upgrades of their reference database are much appreciated.

Yes, I would say that I'm pretty much in the same boat as you are. For the most part I'm very happy with LDNA's (complete mode) results. They got the broad numbers just about right (88% GB&I, 5.9% SE, 4.4% N&WE & 1.6% EE). Although, the Scandinavian should really be German but their Scandinavia covers parts of Germany and the 1.6% Moldova is just inexplicable.

Where the British Isles are concerned, I do have some quibbles. My Irish should be approximately 12.5% and they only gave me 1.3%, which is down from their previous reading of 5%. Hopefully, they'll correct that number when the Irish update comes online. Although, in my case they should pull it from the English results, which seem a little too high, not from the Scottish, which seem a little low.

Other than that, I can't complain. They did better than anyone else did and they're trying to be a lot more specific than the others. So I'll give them credit, where credit is do.
    Last edited by JMcB; 08-19-2017 at 04:22 PM.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JMcB For This Useful Post:

Amerijoe (08-19-2017),  Robert1 (08-20-2017),  sktibo (08-19-2017)

Silver Class Member
    Sex
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA (M)
    T2B-T152C

Quote Originally Posted by JMcB View Post
    Yes, I would say that I'm pretty much in the same boat as you are. For the most part I'm very happy with LDNA's (complete mode) results. They got the broad numbers just about right (88% GB&I, 5.9% SE, 4.4% N&WE & 1.6% EE). Although, the Scandinavian should really be German but their Scandinavia covers parts of Germany and the 1.6% Moldova is just inexplicable.

Where the British Isles are concerned, I do have some quibbles. My Irish should be approximately 12.5% and they only gave me 1.3%, which is down from their previous reading of 5%. Hopefully, they'll correct that number when the Irish update comes online. Although, in my case they should pull it from the English results, which seem a little too high, not from the Scottish, which seem a little low.

Other than that, I can't complain. They did better than anyone else did and they're trying to be a lot more specific than the others. So I'll give them credit, where credit is do.
    Man, that Irish update can't come soon enough. I'm praying it's the thing that will finally break apart my Northumbrian percentage and push it in the direction it needs to go.. but it would be hilarious if it doesn't. In the last update I lost my 3.1% Ireland to Aberdeenshire, which is now my second largest category. I'm a bit worried that once the Irish project is released with its massive number of samples (last I read I think they had over 1200) that people will experience the same problem they have with the English regions... being assigned too much of them when there isn't actually anything there
    England, Scotland, Austro-Hungarian Empire, (Galicia Poland) French-Canadian, and Dutch American settlers.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sktibo For This Useful Post:

JMcB (08-19-2017),  Robert1 (08-20-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    L21>FGC6545>Y160102
    mtDNA (M)
    H6a1b2h
    mtDNA (P)
    H27e

Ireland Ireland Connacht Ireland County Roscommon Ireland County Galway Ireland County Mayo
    Quote Originally Posted by sktibo View Post
    Man, that Irish update can't come soon enough. I'm praying it's the thing that will finally break apart my Northumbrian percentage and push it in the direction it needs to go.. but it would be hilarious if it doesn't. In the last update I lost my 3.1% Ireland to Aberdeenshire, which is now my second largest category. I'm a bit worried that once the Irish project is released with its massive number of samples (last I read I think they had over 1200) that people will experience the same problem they have with the English regions... being assigned too much of them when there isn't actually anything there
    I don't think that the sample size should be a problem. It's averaging at 92 samples per the 13 regions which isn't that much really. Hopefully we'll find out soon enough anyway. It doesn't look like the update will be released by the end of the summer though. I wonder if it's a lack of samples in certain regions or a problem dividing Ireland into regions based on DNA that's causing the delay.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FionnSneachta For This Useful Post:

JMcB (08-19-2017),  MacEochaidh (08-20-2017),  Robert1 (08-20-2017),  sktibo (08-19-2017)

Silver Class Member
    Sex
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA (M)
    T2B-T152C

Quote Originally Posted by FionnSneachta View Post
    I don't think that the sample size should be a problem. It's averaging at 92 samples per the 13 regions which isn't that much really. Hopefully we'll find out soon enough anyway. It doesn't look like the update will be released by the end of the summer though. I wonder if it's a lack of samples in certain regions or a problem dividing Ireland into regions based on DNA that's causing the delay.
    I think it's a bit ambitious to divide Ireland into thirteen regions, if they can do it then fantastic but I would have thought it would be more along the lines of 4-6 genetic regions. If they release it this year that would be splendid, but I have a feeling it might take them longer

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sktibo For This Useful Post:

JMcB (08-19-2017),  ollie444 (08-20-2017),  Robert1 (09-08-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British & Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b>L513>A7> BY11186
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a4a1f
    Y-DNA (M)
    R-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    J2b1

Scotland Wales Ireland England Germany Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by JMcB View Post

Funny, my other main quibble with LDNA is they assigned me 98.7% British and Irish! My NW Europe is just 1.3% assigned to Scandinavia when my paper trail turns up 5% German/Dutch so I'd like to see that turn up with the German update. Of course that's nitpicking, I can easily enough push over that small percent from SE England myself. Heck, for grits & shins why not splurge and push over another 0.5% to Northern France since even though I haven't found any French in my family tree it makes sense and doesn't make much difference.

I wouldn't mind if the updates don't come till the end of the year, take the time to get it right. Also, I have tests just submitted for my wife, mother and paternal aunt and it would be nice to see and screenprint percentages before and after updates. Of course having three tests hanging out there in the wind like that, I may be setting in a bias for early results! You guys can thank me then if that happens!

Estimated ancestry after reviewing Ancestry.com, 23&Me, FTDNA My Origins, Living DNA and known family history:
    33% English, 27% Scottish, 18% Welsh, 18% Irish, 4% German/Netherlands

Y-DNA leads to Isle of Skye, Scottish Highlands: R1b>M343>L278>L754>L389>P297>M269>L23>L51>L151/L11>P312>Z290>L21/M529>DF13>L513/DF1>S5668>A7>Z21253> S7834 > S7828 > BY11203 > BY11186 (about 320-550 years old)

MTDNA leads to Glamorgan, South Wales: K1a4a1f

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Robert1 For This Useful Post:

JMcB (08-20-2017)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123