American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V13
    mtDNA (M)
    H24a1

Ireland Germany Cornwall Scotland Switzerland Netherlands

Cornwall Community

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knew of good resources for Cornish ancestry research?
    RootsIreland.ie and IrelandXO.com has been extremely helpful researching my Irish links and was hoping there was a similar community for Cornwall.

On paper I'm between 13-20% Cornish & livingDNA's results reflect 11.9% which is pretty darn close, particularly since I know not all of my Cornish lines originated in Cornwall. The problem I'm experiencing is almost all of my Cornish connections are families in Australia, New Zealand or USA who do not have the family history and have depending on databases to build their trees. I'm hoping to connect with some cousins still in Cornwall.

Thanks!
    Predominately English, Irish & German with Dutch, Swiss, French & Polish
    Y Haplogroup E-V13 ("Siegel" via Prussia), Mt Haplogroup H24a1 (via Unknown)

GEDmatch Kits: A436029, M213836, Z169952 GEDCOM: 7950338

Ancestry: Hidden Content
    MyHeritage: Hidden Content
    23andme: Hidden Content
    Living DNA: Hidden Content

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to greerpalmer For This Useful Post:

A Norfolk L-M20 (08-18-2017),  JMcB (08-19-2017),  [email protected] (08-18-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    U106 Z326 R-BY27310
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c1b2a

United Kingdom Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by greerpalmer View Post
    Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knew of good resources for Cornish ancestry research?
    RootsIreland.ie and IrelandXO.com has been extremely helpful researching my Irish links and was hoping there was a similar community for Cornwall.

On paper I'm between 13-20% Cornish & livingDNA's results reflect 11.9% which is pretty darn close, particularly since I know not all of my Cornish lines originated in Cornwall. The problem I'm experiencing is almost all of my Cornish connections are families in Australia, New Zealand or USA who do not have the family history and have depending on databases to build their trees. I'm hoping to connect with some cousins still in Cornwall.

Thanks!
    Here are a couple of links that may be useful. John

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...uzDEEMEYN3FDwA

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...v8-O28xzT_QtkA

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...Lz_y-yA7VDlu5g

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JohnHowellsTyrfro For This Useful Post:

A Norfolk L-M20 (08-18-2017),  greerpalmer (08-19-2017),  JMcB (08-19-2017),  spruithean (09-12-2017),  vettor (08-19-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Colonial+Cornish+Welsh
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I2c1 PF3892+
    mtDNA (M)
    U4a

United States Gadsden Cornwall Wales United States Gadsden
    Absolutely vital: Cornwall OPC Database. A great collection of parish records, as well as links to individual parish pages where you can contact experts.

Don't miss the Cornwall Council catalog, linked multiple times within JohnHowellsTyrfro's links above. Great for miscellaneous historical records like land deals and wills.

GENUKI does Cornwall better than just about anywhere else.

In terms of message boards, the Cornwall boards on Ancestry.com and British-Genealogy.com will usually get you quick responses.

Do you have anywhere in Cornwall you need resources for in particular? I've done a lot of research around the parishes of St. Agnes, Constantine, and Landulph, which are where my 3 main Cornish lines come from.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sparkey For This Useful Post:

A Norfolk L-M20 (08-18-2017),  JMcB (08-19-2017),  JohnHowellsTyrfro (08-18-2017),  spruithean (09-12-2017),  vettor (08-19-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Colonial+Cornish+Welsh
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I2c1 PF3892+
    mtDNA (M)
    U4a

Almost forgot: the Cornwall Online Census Project, in case you need census records for free.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sparkey For This Useful Post:

greerpalmer (08-19-2017),  JohnHowellsTyrfro (08-18-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V13
    mtDNA (M)
    H24a1

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by sparkey View Post
    Absolutely vital: Cornwall OPC Database. A great collection of parish records, as well as links to individual parish pages where you can contact experts.

Don't miss the Cornwall Council catalog, linked multiple times within JohnHowellsTyrfro's links above. Great for miscellaneous historical records like land deals and wills.

GENUKI does Cornwall better than just about anywhere else.

In terms of message boards, the Cornwall boards on Ancestry.com and British-Genealogy.com will usually get you quick responses.

Do you have anywhere in Cornwall you need resources for in particular? I've done a lot of research around the parishes of St. Agnes, Constantine, and Landulph, which are where my 3 main Cornish lines come from.
    Thank you for the resources! I guess I haven't fine-tuned my searches quite yet. I'm essentially just trying to match cousins with common last names but no common ancestors. Just incase these are most of the names/locations in my tree:
    1. Lanivet: Solomon
    2. St. Austel: Daw
    3. St. Eval: James
    4. Langdon Cross: Clements
    5. St. Agnes: Wils, Threwartha, James
    6. Redruth: Opie, Mahoney
    7. Breage: Kitto, James, Carter. Polglase, Richards
    8. Wedron: Richards
    9. St Paul: James
    10. Gwennap: Trewartha. Williams, Ralph
    11. Perranzubulo: Gregor, Sawyer, Ralph, Rilph
    12. St. Just: Jake, Jenkin
    13. Truro: Vivyan
    14. St Enodar: Rowe, Jenkyn, Rickard
    15. Quethiock: Kelly, Saundercock
    16. St Germans: Stoneman
    17. Tintagel: Stoneman
    18. Pelynt: Hunking
    19. Sheviock: Clements, Heart
    20. Newquay: Parkyn

10. The Following User Says Thank You to greerpalmer For This Useful Post:

JohnHowellsTyrfro (08-19-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V13
    mtDNA (M)
    H24a1

Already these resources have been super helpful! Of course having all this information also means there are some records that don't align more recently in my tree--time to get researching!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greerpalmer For This Useful Post:

JMcB (08-19-2017),  JohnHowellsTyrfro (08-19-2017)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Nationality
    Australian
    Y-DNA (P)
    T-P322 (T1a2b1)
    mtDNA (M)
    H6a1

Australia Cornwall England Scotland Germany Poland
    Already these resources have been super helpful! Of course having all this information also means there are some records that don't align more recently in my tree--time to get researching!
    Those records have also been great for me.
    Also surname studies.
    For me that has been mainly the Guild of One Name Studies (GoONS) http://one-name.org/
    There is also http://surname-society.org/surname-studies/

And Cornish Visitation records (checking on claims to bear armorial emblems) did not end in 1620.
    A College of Arms member went back over these and added to some lines well into the 1800s.
    In some cases including documents that may have been since lost (for example from WWII bombing).
    http://ukga.org/england/Cornwall/visitations/index.html
    Vivian's Visitations of Cornwall can be very helpful, especially once you get into the early 1700s.

The problem I'm experiencing is almost all of my Cornish connections are families in Australia, New Zealand or USA who do not have the family history and have depending on databases to build their trees.
    Your list of surnames reminded me of my classmates at school. South Australia and Bendigo in Victoria were chock full of Cornish, especially those who left from 1845 on.
    Founding anniversaries for South Australia (1986), Victoria (1985) and Australia (1988) resulted in great popularity for family history and many came out with family histories that are effectively "The XXXX family: descendants of John and Jane XXXX of yyyyy, Cornwall in Australia"
    Many complied with legal deposit, so copies of their volumes are at the National Library of Australia - see http://trove.nla.gov.au/
    Contrary to your experience, I have been fortunate in that ones I have consulted understand something from where they were from in Cornwall.
    They have undertaken research in Cornwall, sometimes with the help of knowledgeable locals and sometimes by actually travelling there.
    Some had ancestors who did well and went back to see family within their 19thC lifetimes.
    Many have family bibles, photos, reminiscences and so on.

So far, I have found that Cornish to NZ often came out even later and often know at least as much about home.
    My USA experience has been that in my family they left earlier and so knew less about the old country.

Cousins found through aDNA matches have also contributed heaps, and I would not discount their documentary research although some seem very ready to pick one possible candidate when others might also fit.
    Last edited by Saetro; 08-19-2017 at 01:12 AM.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Saetro For This Useful Post:

greerpalmer (08-19-2017),  JMcB (08-19-2017),  JohnHowellsTyrfro (08-19-2017),  vettor (08-19-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    U106 Z326 R-BY27310
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c1b2a

United Kingdom Wales
    My USA experience has been that in my family they left earlier and so knew less about the old country.

Cousins found through aDNA matches have also contributed heaps, and I would not discount their documentary research although some seem very ready to pick one possible candidate when others might also fit.[/QUOTE]

It seems like all those indentured servants and penal colonists who went to North America early on didn't leave many descendants. John

16. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnHowellsTyrfro For This Useful Post:

Saetro (08-20-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Colonial+Cornish+Welsh
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I2c1 PF3892+
    mtDNA (M)
    U4a

5. St. Agnes: Wils
    This one pops up in my tree, traceable to a John Wills who married one Honour Solomon in 1744 in Kenwyn. The OPC for St. Agnes is very helpful, by the way.

6. Redruth: Opie
    Any known connection to painter John Opie? I've been able to trace some family of mine from the St. Agnes area who were close to his family.

2. St. Austel: Daw
    14. St Enodar: Rickard
    These are both on my wife's family tree, same parish and surname. She was born in England with a grandfather from Cornwall, in contrast to me and my Cornish ancestors who were 19th century immigrants to the USA. I can't trace either line back farther than the single occurrence of the surname, though.

15. Quethiock
    Not the same surnames for me, but a lot of my family from Landulph can be traced back further to families who lived in nearby Quethiock. It's the best Cornish parish name to say out loud. The OPC for them has also been very helpful to me.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sparkey For This Useful Post:

greerpalmer (08-19-2017),  Saetro (08-20-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V13
    mtDNA (M)
    H24a1

Quote Originally Posted by sparkey View Post
    This one pops up in my tree, traceable to a John Wills who married one Honour Solomon in 1744 in Kenwyn. The OPC for St. Agnes is very helpful, by the way.

Any known connection to painter John Opie? I've been able to trace some family of mine from the St. Agnes area who were close to his family.

These are both on my wife's family tree, same parish and surname. She was born in England with a grandfather from Cornwall, in contrast to me and my Cornish ancestors who were 19th century immigrants to the USA. I can't trace either line back farther than the single occurrence of the surname, though.

Not the same surnames for me, but a lot of my family from Landulph can be traced back further to families who lived in nearby Quethiock. It's the best Cornish parish name to say out loud. The OPC for them has also been very helpful to me.
    Wills-- interesting. Separate from my Solomon line. My research traces this family back to Leicestershire in the late 1700s, but I'm not sure how accurate that is.

Opie-- The timeline is about right for him to be offspring of a sibling as far back as my line traces. The Opy/Opie family appears further back on a different line to Bodmin in the 1400s.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast