Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 60

Thread: Mysterious Italian/Greek percentage

  1. #1
    Registered Users
    Posts
    15
    Sex
    Location
    Derry
    Ethnicity
    Iberian
    mtDNA (M)
    J1C1

    Basque France Mexico United States of America Spain

    Mysterious Italian/Greek percentage

    Hi! I'm from Northern Spain, I took an autosomal test and was surprised to get a 23% Italian/Greek. I've been working on my tree for the past 12 years and never came across an Italian/Greek ancestor, so I assumed this is due to the history and migration patterns between these two countries, as Sicily and a large area of Italy mainland, was part of the Crown of Aragon, and later in the 16th and 17th Century during the Spanish Empire era. However, people keep telling me that percentage is too high and has to be due to having relatively recent Italian and Greek Ancestors. These are my results. Thanks!

    Africa 2%
    Low Confidence Region
    Africa North 2%

    Europe 97%
    Iberian Peninsula 59%
    Italy/Greece 23%
    Europe West 8%
    Scandinavia 5%
    Low Confidence Region

    West Asia < 1%
    Low Confidence Region
    Middle East < 1%
    Caucasus < 1%

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to navarro For This Useful Post:

     Helgenes50 (01-03-2018)

  3. #2
    Registered Users
    Posts
    980
    Sex
    Location
    Earth
    Ethnicity
    Italian Slavic Jew
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V12* Egyptian
    mtDNA (M)
    I5a Semitic

    Italy Poland Germany Palatinate Israel
    Not too shocking, lot's of Spanish people come back with Italian/Greek, it is on the higher side..

    You probably do have a recent Italian ancestor. Do any if your Spanish surnames have an Italian variant?
    DNA Tribes

    Balto - North Slavic 22.4%
    Northwest European 18.8%
    Italian Greek 18.1%
    Persian Jewish 9%
    Iberian 6.3%
    Ashkenazi Jewish 5.9%
    Basque 4.3%
    Sephardic Jewish 4.1%
    Balochi Punjab 3.7%
    Caucasus 2.5%
    Urals 1.3%
    Finnish 1.2%
    Lebanese Cypriot 1%
    Other 1.4%

    Sephardic Jewish Turkey 18.8%
    Argyll and Bute Scottish Highlands 18.6%
    Sardinia 18.4%
    Lithuania 15.7%
    Russia Voronezh 7%
    Belgium 5.6%
    Syrian Jewish 4.9%
    Libyan Jewish 4.4%
    Russia Tver 2.4%
    Azerbaijani Jewish 2.2%

  4. #3
    Registered Users
    Posts
    15
    Sex
    Location
    Derry
    Ethnicity
    Iberian
    mtDNA (M)
    J1C1

    Basque France Mexico United States of America Spain
    Hi Tz85! Thank you for your message. No, everybody got the name of the Saint of the day they were born and no Italian's surname at all. In fact, all surnames are from the area they were living. My paternal's family tree goes back to the 1600. I was very unfortunate to find a distant cousin who is a professional genealogist and facilitated me the tree for free. It matched what I had so far, but it went much further back... However, I know very little about my maternal's tree, it only goes back approx 200 years. Until 1930s, they all lived in a small village in the middle of nowhere, inland, they were farmers, living off the land. A few Spanish who have an Italian parent have told me that their percentage of Italian isn't as higher as mine and that's why I decided to ask in this forum. Thank you!

  5. #4
    Registered Users
    Posts
    15
    Sex
    Location
    Derry
    Ethnicity
    Iberian
    mtDNA (M)
    J1C1

    Basque France Mexico United States of America Spain
    I uploaded my K36 results on the Tolan's Table and Italian/Greek is still high. Unfortunately it seems I can't post a photo, as I just registered and it doesn't allow me to post links.

  6. #5
    Registered Users
    Posts
    980
    Sex
    Location
    Earth
    Ethnicity
    Italian Slavic Jew
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V12* Egyptian
    mtDNA (M)
    I5a Semitic

    Italy Poland Germany Palatinate Israel
    Quote Originally Posted by navarro View Post
    I uploaded my K36 results on the Tolan's Table and Italian/Greek is still high. Unfortunately it seems I can't post a photo, as I just registered and it doesn't allow me to post links.
    Are you on Gedmatch? I'll look at your match list and overlapping segments.
    DNA Tribes

    Balto - North Slavic 22.4%
    Northwest European 18.8%
    Italian Greek 18.1%
    Persian Jewish 9%
    Iberian 6.3%
    Ashkenazi Jewish 5.9%
    Basque 4.3%
    Sephardic Jewish 4.1%
    Balochi Punjab 3.7%
    Caucasus 2.5%
    Urals 1.3%
    Finnish 1.2%
    Lebanese Cypriot 1%
    Other 1.4%

    Sephardic Jewish Turkey 18.8%
    Argyll and Bute Scottish Highlands 18.6%
    Sardinia 18.4%
    Lithuania 15.7%
    Russia Voronezh 7%
    Belgium 5.6%
    Syrian Jewish 4.9%
    Libyan Jewish 4.4%
    Russia Tver 2.4%
    Azerbaijani Jewish 2.2%

  7. #6
    Registered Users
    Posts
    15
    Sex
    Location
    Derry
    Ethnicity
    Iberian
    mtDNA (M)
    J1C1

    Basque France Mexico United States of America Spain
    Thank you. My kit number is A285082. I have been on Ancestry for over a year now, I check my matches regularly and can't see any Italian's surnames either. So far I've only came across to one person with an Italian surname. He's a distant match, 5th-8th cousin, and has no tree, so no point messaging him. On Ancestry most of my matches seem American/British. Thanks!

  8. #7
    Registered Users
    Posts
    980
    Sex
    Location
    Earth
    Ethnicity
    Italian Slavic Jew
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V12* Egyptian
    mtDNA (M)
    I5a Semitic

    Italy Poland Germany Palatinate Israel
    Quote Originally Posted by navarro View Post
    Thank you. My kit number is A285082. I have been on Ancestry for over a year now, I check my matches regularly and can't see any Italian's surnames either. So far I've only came across to one person with an Italian surname. He's a distant match, 5th-8th cousin, and has no tree, so no point messaging him. On Ancestry most of my matches seem American/British. Thanks!
    Looking at your match list I saw a couple Fiero's, Rossi's, Ruscitti, and Salvatore. That being said, between 7-8cM. Doesn't look like a recent Italian ancestor. Maybe something in the 6-7 cousin range. Highly doubt it will be traceable.

    You do have a ton of Jewish surnames, scattered all throughout your match list, including Cohen, Shapiro (multiple), Kaplan, and Greenbaum, some being over 10cM, which indicates a recent Jewish ancestor.

  9. #8
    Registered Users
    Posts
    15
    Sex
    Location
    Derry
    Ethnicity
    Iberian
    mtDNA (M)
    J1C1

    Basque France Mexico United States of America Spain
    Quote Originally Posted by Tz85 View Post
    Looking at your match list I saw a couple Fiero's, Rossi's, Ruscitti, and Salvatore. That being said, between 7-8cM. Doesn't look like a recent Italian ancestor. Maybe something in the 6-7 cousin range. Highly doubt it will be traceable.

    You do have a ton of Jewish surnames, scattered all throughout your match list, including Cohen, Shapiro (multiple), Kaplan, and Greenbaum, some being over 10cM, which indicates a recent Jewish ancestor.
    That's right and I contacted one of them because, even she was a distant match, she was on my top matches and she was a professional genealogist. She wrote an article on her blog and explained that it was clear that our 11.4cM match likely comes from a shared Sephardic ancestor over 500 years ago. I think they were from Ukraine. Since she wrote the article, she has uploaded more kits and they are in my top matches as well. But basically she said to ignore my Jewish matches if they are under 15cm because they are IBD, as Jewish are endogamous.

    Again, I don't have a known Jewish ancestor. So far all Catholics.

    The other day I uploaded my raw dna to Wegene and it gave me a totally different result. I believe it was 80% Spanish and 20% Balkans. I guess that's totally inaccurate, isn't it?
    Last edited by navarro; 08-26-2017 at 04:01 AM.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to navarro For This Useful Post:

     stealth (08-26-2017)

  11. #9
    Registered Users
    Posts
    980
    Sex
    Location
    Earth
    Ethnicity
    Italian Slavic Jew
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V12* Egyptian
    mtDNA (M)
    I5a Semitic

    Italy Poland Germany Palatinate Israel
    Quote Originally Posted by navarro View Post
    That's right and I contacted one of them because, even she was a distant match, she was on my top matches and she was a professional genealogist. She wrote an article on her blog and explained that it was clear that our 11.4cM match likely comes from a shared Sephardic ancestor over 500 years ago. I think they were from Ukraine. Since she wrote the article, she has uploaded more kits and they are in my top matches as well. But basically she said to ignore my Jewish matches if they are under 15cm because they are IBD, as Jewish are endogamous.

    Again, I don't have a known Jewish ancestor. So far all Catholics.

    The other day I uploaded my raw dna to Wegene and it gave me a totally different result. I believe it was 80% Spanish and 20% Balkans. I guess that's totally inaccurate, isn't it?

    Discard it? Yeah maybe if it was a couple matches, but you have Jewish matches literally all through out your match list. Of course they won't be traceable, but you do indeed have a Jewish ancestor. Wegene is terrible. Go with SNP Tribes Analysis, and Dr. McDonald. He should be interested in examining your genome.
    DNA Tribes

    Balto - North Slavic 22.4%
    Northwest European 18.8%
    Italian Greek 18.1%
    Persian Jewish 9%
    Iberian 6.3%
    Ashkenazi Jewish 5.9%
    Basque 4.3%
    Sephardic Jewish 4.1%
    Balochi Punjab 3.7%
    Caucasus 2.5%
    Urals 1.3%
    Finnish 1.2%
    Lebanese Cypriot 1%
    Other 1.4%

    Sephardic Jewish Turkey 18.8%
    Argyll and Bute Scottish Highlands 18.6%
    Sardinia 18.4%
    Lithuania 15.7%
    Russia Voronezh 7%
    Belgium 5.6%
    Syrian Jewish 4.9%
    Libyan Jewish 4.4%
    Russia Tver 2.4%
    Azerbaijani Jewish 2.2%

  12. #10
    Registered Users
    Posts
    15
    Sex
    Location
    Derry
    Ethnicity
    Iberian
    mtDNA (M)
    J1C1

    Basque France Mexico United States of America Spain
    Quote Originally Posted by Tz85 View Post
    Discard it? Yeah maybe if it was a couple matches, but you have Jewish matches literally all through out your match list. Of course they won't be traceable, but you do indeed have a Jewish ancestor. Wegene is terrible. Go with SNP Tribes Analysis, and Dr. McDonald. He should be interested in examining your genome.
    That's interesting. There was a large Jewish community in Spain. But In 1492 they were forced to either be converted to Catholicism or were forced into exile. I'll contact SNP Tribes Analysis. Is there any Gedmatch project I could take to find out more ?
    Last edited by navarro; 08-26-2017 at 04:25 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-12-2019, 04:16 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-11-2019, 12:34 PM
  3. Ethnicity Estimate Mysterious Greek Results
    By Shanatova in forum MyHeritage
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-29-2019, 08:57 PM
  4. Replies: 87
    Last Post: 10-20-2018, 08:41 PM
  5. Operation Antioch: Greek Orthodox and Greek Catholic Levantines
    By wandering_amorite in forum Autosomal (auDNA)
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-02-2016, 08:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •