Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm mixed-origins European - my AncestryDNA and GEDmatch results confuse me.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Ethnicity
    Pennsylvania Dutch
    Nationality
    American

Germany Palatinate Switzerland France Wales United Kingdom United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralex004 View Post
    Thanks, man, that's actually really helpful. I'll never know for sure where the exact proportions come from, but it's interesting nonetheless, just goes to show how much heritage we have in common and all. For the record, my German ancestry goes back to Bavaria and Baden-Wuerttemberg, but my mum is from Hessen. So I'd say SW and Central Germanic?
    Yes, exactly, I was just trying to provide a little context. Generally, because all these groups have overlap, it is really more about the proportions of various groups that help define certain populations. The Eurogenes k36 admixture oracle on Gedmatch.com helps illustrate the point.

I recommend checking out http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthre...ce-populations and also http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthre...aps#post241752

Edit: Just now saw Pylsteen's post.
    Last edited by Hayden; 08-29-2017 at 06:32 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hayden For This Useful Post:

Ralex004 (08-29-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex

Netherlands
    Broooo, this is incredible. When I got my Eurogenes K36 estimate, there wasn't any oracle beneath for me to use, but you know your way around a lot better than me. Damn, guess I'm a real newbie to GEDmatch - I still have no idea what to do with a lot of the tools available. Thanks, man, this adds an interesting spin on things, considering I can check ancient populations too. The Iranian element eludes me too, especially seeing as it's still detectable. I don't have anyone in my known ancestry who's non-European, but it might go back to Ottoman times? I'm not sure, I'll just have to keep doing my research

I didn't know about these tools a few months ago.. you really have to sit for it. The Iran (or Iran-like ancestry) could have come to France or Spain I think, because of ties with the meditteranean, or to all of your areas during Roman times or through another way.. it's important to remember that the tools make a "best fit", which are not perfect, but will improve if more samples are included.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Pylsteen For This Useful Post:

Ralex004 (08-29-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Ethnicity
    Pennsylvania Dutch
    Nationality
    American

Germany Palatinate Switzerland France Wales United Kingdom United States of America
    Since you already posted your k36 I went ahead plugged the info into Tolan's similarity tool from the second link I posted. It is comparing how much your k36 is similar to other population groups using lukaszM's reference populations.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hayden For This Useful Post:

Pylsteen (08-29-2017),  Ralex004 (08-29-2017),  Trelvern (08-07-2019)

Silver Class Member
    Sex
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA (M)
    T2B-T152C

England Scotland Poland Germany Canada Quebec Netherlands
    See this thread regarding AncestryDNA's ethnicity estimates:

http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthre...-across-Europe

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sktibo For This Useful Post:

Hayden (08-29-2017),  Ralex004 (08-29-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English/French/German
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-S3933 (R-U106)
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2b

England North of England France Germany
    Again, such a big help - thanks. Now that I can visualise it, it's a lot easier to get an idea of how these estimations work. It's interesting as well, you can definitely see how certain populations such as the Basque are still distinct. We had a suspicion that the Spanish side might be Basque, but it's looking more like Catalonia... Nice one, man. This is great.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English/French/German
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-S3933 (R-U106)
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2b

Hi again, two years later... Thank you again for your imputing my data and providing these interesting results. I'd like to ask a question about the results though, namely the genetic distance from ancient samples. The first set shows me having the closest affinity to an Iron-Age Briton from York - who I assume is "Celtic" - but the second puts me down as closer to a Bronze-Age Unetiče and almost evenly spread between Anglo-Saxon and British Celtic. Ultimately, am I more Germanic or Celtic according to these results? I know that the easiest way to judge would be with the new G25 calculator, but I can't find the link to the store where you make the actual purchase.

Registered Users

Hi, I'm new here, and I've been trying to make sense of my ethnic background for a while now to no prevail. I'm half British, a quarter French and a quarter German. I took a test provided by AncestryDNA and put my raw data through a load of GEDmatch calculators, but I'm never sure if the results I'm seeing are legit or just mixing up my known ethnicity with another? For example, Ancestry gave me the following:

Great Britain - 46%
    Scandinavia - 22%
    Ireland - 13%
    Italy/Greece - 9%
    Europe West - 7%
    (Trace regions: )
    Iberian Peninsula - 2%
    Europe East - 1%

The Irish didn't surprise me; I have ancestors on the British side who were born in Ireland (~10%, not sure if ethnically Irish or not), and my French grandmother might have roots in Brittany, which would explain some of it. She does however have a Spanish great-grandparent, so the Iberian didn't surprise me either. That said, the rest is difficult to distinguish.
    I'm guessing that the German got mistaken as Scandinavian and that the French got mistaken as Italy/Greece, and that they both shared out the Europe West. But then again I'm from the north of England and I expected about 10% Scandinavian to come from the British side of me, meaning the Great Britain portion might have taken on some German. So do I have any Italian/Greek or Scandinavian ancestry, or is it just my known heritage? What if it's both? There's no way of accurately telling, so I thought GEDmatch might help. ALL OTHER ESTIMATES ARE BELOW.

I heard about GEDmatch from forums so I decided to run my raw data through the calculators to see what I could find. I found that a lot give me a West Asian, Caucasian or Indo-Aryan estimate, but I understand that this could be due to ancient migrations into Europe. That said, I did have slightly higher levels than the average for English, French or German populations. In fact, when looking at EurogenesK36, I can't find a trace of West Asian because I'm guessing it got eaten up by my European heritage. That said, I do get some Armenian, which would be more consistent with Caucasian? At this point, I'm wondering if I might just have some DNA from the Balkans somewhere - in fact, DNA Land hinted at it.

I hope that someone a lot smarter on this subject might be able to help me, it's greatly appreciated. This has become something of a hobby for me, and it interestingly underlines the abundant similarities between human beings despite focusing on their differences. That said, I don't understand a lot of the science behind it or the reference population differences for each calculator, so I need someone to point me in the right direction before understanding it all myself. Thank you !

BONUS: If I share more SNPs with some archaic Native Americans samples than with a lot of European samples of the same ethnicity as me, does that hint at a connection? All traces, whether European or not, die out at 0.5cM.

DNA Land:

Northwest European: 56%
    Southwestern European: 22%
    Northeast European: North Slavic - 9.1% ; Finnish - 4.2%
    South European: Balkan - 4.8% ; South/Central European 2%
    Kalash: 1.4%

MyHeritageDNA:

Scandinavian - 44.5%
    Irish, Scottish and Welsh - 22.5%
    English - 6.8%
    Iberian - 24.2%
    East European - 1.3%
    West Asian - 0.7%

EurogenesK36

Armenian - 3.15
    Basque - 3.81
    Central_Euro - 2.99
    East_Balkan - 3.04
    East_Central_Euro - 5.52
    Eastern_Euro - 1.90
    Fennoscandian - 10.56
    French - 6.52
    Iberian - 15.12
    Italian - 7.87
    North_Atlantic - 16.33
    North_Caucasian - 1.44
    North_Sea - 20.01
    West_Caucasian - 0.57
    West_Med - 1.16

MDLP K23b

Amerindian - 0.27
    Ancestral_Altaic - 3.31
    South_Central_Asian - 6.67
    Arctic - 0.17
    Austronesian - 0.12
    Caucasian - 22.50
    Archaic_Human - 0.06
    European_Early_Farmers - 28.06
    Near_East - 0.06
    North_African - 2.38
    Paleo_Siberian - 0.25
    Tungus-Altaic - 0.33
    European_Hunters_Gatherers - 35.85

GedrosiaDNA K14 Neolithic

N_Amerindian - 1.27
    Afansievo_Yamnaya - 17.07
    Kalash - 2.80
    Siberian - 0.58
    S_Amerindian - 2.56
    SW_Asian - 5.96
    Neolithic_Balkan_Farmers - 15.23
    SHG_WHG - 11.56
    Early_European_Farmers - 42.62
    Papuan - 0.35

Dodecad V3:

East_European - 10.70
    West_European - 50.34
    Mediterranean - 26.17
    West_Asian - 9.78
    Northeast_Asian - 0.48
    Southwest_Asian - 1.01
    Northwest_African - 1.33
    Palaeo_African - 0.19
    Have you received,and Can you post your new updated AncestryDNA results?
    Last edited by Claudio; 08-09-2019 at 10:17 AM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English/French/German
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-S3933 (R-U106)
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2b

I have, and they're not of much help. They got my genetic communities for England spot-on, but the estimates are:
    England, Wales & Northwestern Europe - 61%
    Ireland & Scotland - 31%
    Sweden - 6%
    Norway - 2%
    Genealogical breakdown (%):

West Yorkshire - 35.15625
    Hesse - 12.5
    Poitou-Charentes - 12.5
    Franconia - 12.3046875
    Brittany - 6.25
    Auvergne - 3.125
    Midi-Pyrénées - 3.125