Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm mixed-origins European - my AncestryDNA and GEDmatch results confuse me.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English/French/German
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-S3933 (R-U106)
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2b

England North of England France Germany

I'm mixed-origins European - my AncestryDNA and GEDmatch results confuse me.

Hi, I'm new here, and I've been trying to make sense of my ethnic background for a while now to no prevail. I'm half British, a quarter French and a quarter German. I took a test provided by AncestryDNA and put my raw data through a load of GEDmatch calculators, but I'm never sure if the results I'm seeing are legit or just mixing up my known ethnicity with another? For example, Ancestry gave me the following:

Great Britain - 46%
    Scandinavia - 22%
    Ireland - 13%
    Italy/Greece - 9%
    Europe West - 7%
    (Trace regions: )
    Iberian Peninsula - 2%
    Europe East - 1%

The Irish didn't surprise me; I have ancestors on the British side who were born in Ireland (~10%, not sure if ethnically Irish or not), and my French grandmother might have roots in Brittany, which would explain some of it. She does however have a Spanish great-grandparent, so the Iberian didn't surprise me either. That said, the rest is difficult to distinguish.
    I'm guessing that the German got mistaken as Scandinavian and that the French got mistaken as Italy/Greece, and that they both shared out the Europe West. But then again I'm from the north of England and I expected about 10% Scandinavian to come from the British side of me, meaning the Great Britain portion might have taken on some German. So do I have any Italian/Greek or Scandinavian ancestry, or is it just my known heritage? What if it's both? There's no way of accurately telling, so I thought GEDmatch might help. ALL OTHER ESTIMATES ARE BELOW.

I heard about GEDmatch from forums so I decided to run my raw data through the calculators to see what I could find. I found that a lot give me a West Asian, Caucasian or Indo-Aryan estimate, but I understand that this could be due to ancient migrations into Europe. That said, I did have slightly higher levels than the average for English, French or German populations. In fact, when looking at EurogenesK36, I can't find a trace of West Asian because I'm guessing it got eaten up by my European heritage. That said, I do get some Armenian, which would be more consistent with Caucasian? At this point, I'm wondering if I might just have some DNA from the Balkans somewhere - in fact, DNA Land hinted at it.

I hope that someone a lot smarter on this subject might be able to help me, it's greatly appreciated. This has become something of a hobby for me, and it interestingly underlines the abundant similarities between human beings despite focusing on their differences. That said, I don't understand a lot of the science behind it or the reference population differences for each calculator, so I need someone to point me in the right direction before understanding it all myself. Thank you !

BONUS: If I share more SNPs with some archaic Native Americans samples than with a lot of European samples of the same ethnicity as me, does that hint at a connection? All traces, whether European or not, die out at 0.5cM.

DNA Land:

Northwest European: 56%
    Southwestern European: 22%
    Northeast European: North Slavic - 9.1% ; Finnish - 4.2%
    South European: Balkan - 4.8% ; South/Central European 2%
    Kalash: 1.4%

MyHeritageDNA:

Scandinavian - 44.5%
    Irish, Scottish and Welsh - 22.5%
    English - 6.8%
    Iberian - 24.2%
    East European - 1.3%
    West Asian - 0.7%

EurogenesK36

Armenian - 3.15
    Basque - 3.81
    Central_Euro - 2.99
    East_Balkan - 3.04
    East_Central_Euro - 5.52
    Eastern_Euro - 1.90
    Fennoscandian - 10.56
    French - 6.52
    Iberian - 15.12
    Italian - 7.87
    North_Atlantic - 16.33
    North_Caucasian - 1.44
    North_Sea - 20.01
    West_Caucasian - 0.57
    West_Med - 1.16

MDLP K23b

Amerindian - 0.27
    Ancestral_Altaic - 3.31
    South_Central_Asian - 6.67
    Arctic - 0.17
    Austronesian - 0.12
    Caucasian - 22.50
    Archaic_Human - 0.06
    European_Early_Farmers - 28.06
    Near_East - 0.06
    North_African - 2.38
    Paleo_Siberian - 0.25
    Tungus-Altaic - 0.33
    European_Hunters_Gatherers - 35.85

GedrosiaDNA K14 Neolithic

N_Amerindian - 1.27
    Afansievo_Yamnaya - 17.07
    Kalash - 2.80
    Siberian - 0.58
    S_Amerindian - 2.56
    SW_Asian - 5.96
    Neolithic_Balkan_Farmers - 15.23
    SHG_WHG - 11.56
    Early_European_Farmers - 42.62
    Papuan - 0.35

Dodecad V3:

East_European - 10.70
    West_European - 50.34
    Mediterranean - 26.17
    West_Asian - 9.78
    Northeast_Asian - 0.48
    Southwest_Asian - 1.01
    Northwest_African - 1.33
    Palaeo_African - 0.19

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ralex004 For This Useful Post:

Claudio (08-09-2019),  Hayden (08-29-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pictland/Deira
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-M222-FGC5864
    mtDNA (M)
    H5r*

Which, if any, Ancestry 'Genetic Communities' have you been placed in? They are more reliable. I'm in one for Yorkshire for example.
    YSEQ:#37; YFull: YF01405 (Y Elite 2013)
    WGS (Full Genomes Nov 2015, YSEQ Feb 2019, Dante Mar 2019, FGC-10X Linked Reads Apr 2019, Dante-Nanopore May 2019, Chronomics Jan 2020, Sano Genetics Feb 2020, Nebula Genomics June 2020)
    Ancestry GCs: Scots in central Scotland & Ulster, Ireland; English in Yorkshire & Pennines
    Hidden Content
    FBIMatch: A------ (autosomal DNA) for segment matching DO NOT POST ADMIXTURE REPORTS USING MY KIT

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MacUalraig For This Useful Post:

A Norfolk L-M20 (08-29-2017),  sktibo (08-29-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English/French/German
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-S3933 (R-U106)
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2b

I'm in Yorkshire too, that's where my family is from. I was a little disappointed that out of all it could've picked up on, it picked up on the one I was the most certain about, but hey, at least it shows how reliable the estimate is.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ralex004 For This Useful Post:

MacUalraig (08-29-2017),  sktibo (08-29-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    English
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c2

England Ireland
    From my experience, it's always best to test both parents if possible. I can get rather odd results for a British person, for example that i have some recent Caucus ancestry at the great grandparent level. However, on testing both parents I was able to debunk that as it doesn't show in their results. To me your results reflect your ancestry, with a few blips. Happy to share my results or gedmatch number if you'd like to compare?
    Known ancestry: English (mostly S/SE England) + Irish (Cork)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to L1983 For This Useful Post:

A Norfolk L-M20 (08-29-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English/French/German
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-S3933 (R-U106)
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2b

Thanks, I'm aiming to get my mother and maternal grandmother tested, maybe even my paternal grandmother too Here's my kit number if you're interested A183593

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ralex004 For This Useful Post:

L1983 (08-29-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    English
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c2

England Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralex004 View Post
    Thanks, I'm aiming to get my mother and maternal grandmother tested, maybe even my paternal grandmother too Here's my kit number if you're interested A183593
    Ill have a look later tonight and see if anything sticks out.
    Known ancestry: English (mostly S/SE England) + Irish (Cork)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Ethnicity
    Pennsylvania Dutch
    Nationality
    American

Germany Palatinate Switzerland France Wales United Kingdom United States of America
    From personal experience with Ancestry I think a large portion of the German/French is probably going in the British category. The Big Scandinavian Chunk is part German but perhaps mostly from Yorkshire depending where in Germany your ancestors were from.

Great Britain - 46% (English + French + German)
    Scandinavia - 22% (Yorkshire England + German)
    Ireland - 13% (Ireland + England)
    Italy/Greece - 9% (French + German + Spanish)
    Europe West - 7% (French + German)
    (Trace regions: )
    Iberian Peninsula - 2% (Spanish and/or French)
    Europe East - 1% (German)

This is going on purely personal experience, not any expertise. For example my SW Germanic (Germany, Switzerland, France) father's ancestry results looked like this:

Great Britain - 27%
    Europe West - 20%
    Iberian - 17%
    Scandinavian - 11%
    Ireland - 8%
    Italy/Greece - 6%
    Europe East - 5%
    European Jewish 1%

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hayden For This Useful Post:

sktibo (08-29-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English/French/German
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-S3933 (R-U106)
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2b

Thanks, man, that's actually really helpful. I'll never know for sure where the exact proportions come from, but it's interesting nonetheless, just goes to show how much heritage we have in common and all. For the record, my German ancestry goes back to Bavaria and Baden-Wuerttemberg, but my mum is from Hessen. So I'd say SW and Central Germanic?

Registered Users
    Sex

Netherlands
    Hey, I let lukaszm's oracle for K36 run, and here you go; the code blocks show distance to the items, the lists show percentages:

Code:
    [1] "1. CLOSEST SINGLE ITEM DISTANCES"
            NE-England         NW-England      British_mixed   Northern_Ireland 
              5.823934           7.032929           7.179818           7.346428 
              Scotland           Orcadian England_Cumberland         SW-England 
              7.368547           7.504459           7.627106           8.076886
    [1] "distance%=4.3776 / distance=0.043776"
    Raxle
    North_Dutch 36.10
    NE-England 31.65
    France_Central 10.00
    Northern_Ireland 9.95
    French_Basque 4.70
    Spain_Centabria 3.70
    Georgian_Laz 2.35
    Finnish_East 0.90
    SW-England 0.30
    GR_Pontic 0.20
    Orcadian 0.10
    Spain_La-Rioja 0.05

With ancient samples:

Code:
    [1] "1. CLOSEST SINGLE ITEM DISTANCES"
        IA_Britain_York  BA_Unetice_Germany  BA_Unetice_Czechia   IA_Celtic_Britain 
               7.515303            9.180523            9.600418           10.739202 
    Bell_Beaker_Germany      EMA_Anglosaxon BA_Urnfield_Germany          CWC_Sweden 
              11.684190           12.355187           14.208659           15.099902
    [1] "distance%=4.2974 / distance=0.042974"
    Raxle
    BA_Unetice_Germany 23.60
    EMA_Anglosaxon 22.10
    IA_Celtic_Britain 21.30
    BA_Unetice_Czechia 11.35
    BA_Iberia 5.25
    Bell_Beaker_Germany_ 4.80
    BA_Mycenean 3.35
    Mesolithic_Luxembourg 3.05
    IA_Iran 2.95
    N_Sweden_Gokhem 1.80
    N_Sweden_Gokhem 0.45

I would say that your British side indeed looks like Yorkshire, having ties with the Anglo-Saxons; as always seems to happen, both your French and German may have been eaten by british components. Your ancient results also show connection with Anglo-Saxons, with all kinds of Bronze Age and Iron Age cultures which I would say are likely to reflect both continental and British Celtic ancestry; you also show some Iberian, which seems correct; the Mycenean is found in many populations in Europe, I think connected with Neolithic Farmers or from Roman times. Only thing which I don't understand, but may contribute to your Caucasian is the Iron Age Iran person; possibly someone who knows more about these samples can tell more.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pylsteen For This Useful Post:

Hayden (08-29-2017),  Ralex004 (08-29-2017),  sktibo (08-29-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English/French/German
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-S3933 (R-U106)
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2b

Broooo, this is incredible. When I got my Eurogenes K36 estimate, there wasn't any oracle beneath for me to use, but you know your way around a lot better than me. Damn, guess I'm a real newbie to GEDmatch - I still have no idea what to do with a lot of the tools available. Thanks, man, this adds an interesting spin on things, considering I can check ancient populations too. The Iranian element eludes me too, especially seeing as it's still detectable. I don't have anyone in my known ancestry who's non-European, but it might go back to Ottoman times? I'm not sure, I'll just have to keep doing my research

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast