Ger.-Brit.-Catalan-more
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-YP619*
    mtDNA (M)
    H1bg

United Kingdom Germany Bayern Catalonia France Ireland Switzerland
    18 markers is not enough to test even a single marker on each chromosome. So unless you know absolutely nothing about your ancestry, it's unlikely to tell you anything you don't already know; nor even to confirm what you do know.

$99 may be cheaper than than, say, 23andMe at $199. But for about half the price of 23andMe, the test doesn't even cover 1% of the markers.

EDIT: Actually, my guess is that the test is a bit like FTDNA's old autosomal markers panel, which included D9S919. A value of 9 here indicates likely Native American ancestry, but only a fraction of Native Americans have this value. So having that value would tell you something; but not having it doesn't tell you anything.
    Last edited by geebee; 08-31-2017 at 04:12 AM.
    Besides British-German-Catalan, ancestry includes smaller amounts of French, Irish, Swiss, Choctaw & another NA tribe, possibly Catawba. Avatar picture is: my father, his father, & his father's father; baby is my eldest brother.

GB

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geebee For This Useful Post:

AJL (08-30-2017),  curiousII (08-31-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Euro/Near East
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-YP4516/YP4807*
    mtDNA (M)
    H11a2a3

Canada Franco-Manitoban European Union Ottoman Empire Russia Imperial United States Grand Union
    Moved from General to Commercial Testing : Other.

Other ancestral Y lines:

E1b-M81 Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    E1b-V13 England
    I1-M253 Ireland
    I2-M423 Ukraine
    R1a-L176.1 Scotland
    R1b-L584 Syria/Turkey (Sephardi)
    R1b-L20 Ireland
    R1b-L21 (1)England; (2)Wales?>Connecticut
    R1b-L48 England
    R1b-P312 Scotland
    R1b-FGC32576 Ireland

Other ancestral mtDNA lines:

H1b2a Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    H6a1a3 Ukraine
    K1a9 Belarus (Ashkenazi)
    K1c2 Ireland
    V7a Ukraine

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Proto-Algorithm Changling
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b>DF27>FT253000
    mtDNA (M)
    H11a

United States of America California Republic
    Quote Originally Posted by RedBlazedNugguts View Post
    Please, no.
    "Bid me discourse, I will enchant thine ears..."

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b>DF27>FT253000
    mtDNA (M)
    H11a

Quote Originally Posted by geebee View Post
    18 markers is not enough to test even a single marker on each chromosome... Actually, my guess is that the test is a bit like FTDNA's old autosomal markers panel, which included D9S919.
    I just checked the Fingerprint test I took a number of years ago and D9S919 wasn't in their panel. But I think I've read enough about these testing companies since then to refute Dr. Yates' claim that it's impossible to assign percentages to autosomal test results. I mean, he's the only one who doesn't.

Or CODIS just doesn't give a clear enough picture of a customer's vitals for percentage readings. CODIS may be thorough enough to ID criminals, but not detailed enough to provide the consumer with a valid picture of his true heritage. There's quite a difference there.

Speaking of which, at the time of my testing Dr. Yates had his customers' saliva analysed in a lab that also ran crime suspects' DNA. I was told that the two were processed at different ends of the room, but I think I'm still traumatized. The idea of some evil creature in a lab smock switching two samples from one end of the lab to the next is paralytic.

Other opinions on their Melungeon study and Neanderthal tests, but people can find all that on the Web.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b>DF27>FT253000
    mtDNA (M)
    H11a

Hey, GeeBee, if you're still following this thread, or if anyone else is who's knowledgeable about CODIS markers and how testing companies use those panels, here's a question.

D9S919 would be a marker for NA ancestry, as you said. The markers used by DNA Consultants (VWA, TPOX, THO1, the rest), no guidance is given the customer on which value on which marker gives which ethnic result. You, knowing the exact value of D9S919 exhibiting NA heritage, means what? That you have knowledge of which CODIS marker means what all down the panel? And that only one or two loci need be tested in each of their vanity ethnic tests to conclusively prove specific heritage and ancestry? All the while claiming the impossibility of assigning ethnic percentages?

If so, how sharing. Or giving directions to a website that does define which means what. You'll see that DNA Consultants markets specific tests for ethnic ancestry, so obviously Dr. Yates believes that an allele's position on a locus defines exactly where on the planet that allele began. Or something like that, but he does also use the phrase "accidental convergence or deep history" in his Analysis and Conclusion section, which leads the customer to believe that CODIS is not precise.

Except, of course, for Duffy Null: http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.o.../1789/20140930

Duffy Null, the marker that proves conclusively that a customer either does or does not have SSA ancestry. Of course no one wants to catch malaria, and being malaria-resistant is a preferable state of existence, but why would this Duffy Null CC or TT be unimpeachable while, perhaps, other CODIS positions can still be explained away as "convergence," or "statistical noise" in other companies like FTDNA itself? While DNA Consultants proclaims that it's simply impossible to assign percentages? If percentages can't be reached, how could one possible ethnic hit be discounted while another isn't?

Sorry, but it's obvious you have the inside scoop here. How 'bout sharing?

And an educated opinion on ENFSI, too, if you could, please: https://strider.online/query#query_form
    Last edited by curiousII; 09-02-2017 at 05:32 AM. Reason: STRidER

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    U152>L2>Z49>Z12222

Northern Ireland England United States of America Switzerland Denmark
    I'm not sure if this is the best place to pose this question but here goes. I am looking for advice on autosomal testing for ethnicity purposes. My DNA sample is already on file with FTDNA since I used them to conduct my Big Y test. I understand that there are other companies that perform autosomal testing and I have looked at comparison charts as to the level and types of queries they perform. Unfortunately, I am not sufficiently knowledgeable about the differences among the various vendors to make a selection. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ger.-Brit.-Catalan-more
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-YP619*
    mtDNA (M)
    H1bg

United Kingdom Germany Bayern Catalonia France Ireland Switzerland
    This

"Duffy Null, the marker that proves conclusively that a customer either does or does not have SSA ancestry"

is simply not credible. My issue is with, "or does not". As with D9S919=9 and Native American ancestry, having Duffy Null might reasonably "prove" that a customer has SSA ancestry. Not having Duffy Null does not prove the customer does not have SSA ancestry.

Here's why. Suppose a person has an SSA great grandparent. This great grandparent has probably contributed roughly one-eighth of their descendant's DNA -- or one-fourth of the DNA on one parent's side. But that means the remaining one-fourth is not from the SSA great grandparent. So there's only about a 25% chance of having the Duffy Null allele.

Likewise, while the specific value of "9" at D9S919 is a strong indicator of Native American ancestry, there are two reasons that its absence tells you practically nothing. First, not even all Native Americans have this value. So even a full Native American might not have D9S919=9. In fact, probably only about a third do. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2375964/

Since I have no Native American segments on chromosome 9 -- even though I have several segments in other locations -- I wouldn't expect to have a Native American value here. (And indeed I don't ... I have D9S919=17-18.)

Ancestry analysis is best done using SNPs, typically at least thousands of them, or tens of thousands. (Or more.)
    Last edited by geebee; 10-17-2017 at 04:29 AM.
    Besides British-German-Catalan, ancestry includes smaller amounts of French, Irish, Swiss, Choctaw & another NA tribe, possibly Catawba. Avatar picture is: my father, his father, & his father's father; baby is my eldest brother.

GB