Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DNA.Land vs. AncestryDNA - Huge differences (Known Ancestry: Armenian/Russian)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Armenian, Russian
    Nationality
    American

Armenia Russian Federation United States of America

DNA.Land vs. AncestryDNA - Huge differences (Known Ancestry: Armenian/Russian)

Hello,

I am quite new to this, but I have developed an interest because of the cloud of mystery that hangs over my family's ancestry. My mother's known ancestry is Armenian (she claims distant Bulgarian), and my father is half Armenian/half Russian. Thus, the AncestryDNA results were not at all surprising, since the "Caucasus" and "Italy/Greece" classifications added up perfectly to 75%, leaving the other European influences to my 25% Russian ancestry. However, the results I got from DNA Land were very different! I'm not sure what to make of it. I will post my results below, and perhaps someone can help me make sense of it. Keep in mind, I am very new to this. Thanks!

AncestryDNA:
    Europe 38%
    Europe East 17%
    Italy/Greece 13%
    Low Confidence Region
    Europe West 5%
    Finland/Northwest Russia 3%
    West Asia 62%
    Caucasus 59%
    Low Confidence Region
    Middle East 3%

DNA Land:

West Eurasian 100%
    Central Indoeuropean 42%
    Includes: Abkhasian in Abkhazia/Georgia; Armenian in Armenia; Georgian/Megrels in Georgia; Iranian in Iran; Druze in (Carmel) Israel; Balkar, Chechen, Kumyk, Lezgin, North Ossetian and Adygei in (Caucasus and 5 other sites) Russia and Turkish in (Adana, Aydin, Balikesir, Istanbul, Kayseri, Trabzon and 1 other site) Turkey
    South/Central European 33%
    Includes: Italian/Bergamo, Italian/Tuscan and Toscani in (Bergamo, Tuscany and 1 other site) Italy
    Balkan 1%
    Includes: Albanian in Albania; Bulgarian in Bulgaria and Greek in (2 sites) Greece
    Northwest European 8.7%
    Includes: Scottish Argyll_Bute_GBR and British in England; Icelandic in Iceland; Norwegian in Norway and Orcadian in Orkney Islands
    Indo-Iranian 7.6%
    Includes: Balochi, Brahui and Makrani in Pakistan
    Kalash 1%
    Includes: Kalash in Pakistan
    Finnish 5.3%
    Includes: Finnish in Finland
    North Slavic 1.8%
    Includes: Belarusian in Belarus; Estonian in Estonia; Lithuanian in Lithuania; Mordovian and Russian in Russia and Ukrainian in (East) Ukraine

So clearly, there is a big difference here. DNA Land claims that I am up to 33% Italian, and there is absolutely no evidence of that. I could believe Greek, but not Italian. I also doubt the inclusion of Kalash and Indo-Iranian DNA. Also, I can't believe that I only have 1.8% North Slavic, since I know that my grandmother was full-blooded Russian. Should I take DNA Land seriously?

Registered Users
    Sex

How accurate different tests are really depends on how your ancestry relates to the reference populations. Most Armenians do have some SE-Euro admixture, just like most Sicilians have some Levantine admixture.

Registered Users
    Sex

DNA tests very often mix up the results of someone who is half-Armenian and half Northern European, etc. (I use this, not 75% Armenian and 25% Russian, as an example because that's what I'm familiar with.) For example, at 23andMe, a half-Armenian half-British Isles person was assigned close to 30% Italian, and then when their children took the test and their results were phased (compared for a better estimate of which bits came from which parent), the Italian estimate fell to about 1%. Similar errors can occur with half-Lebanese people and so on. Even someone who was half Greek and half Pontic Greek ran into this, as I recall.

If someone really was 30% Italian, they'd get a number of undeniable DNA matches to full-blooded Italians (instead of zero, which is what I've seen in such situations).

As for DNA.land in particular, uploading the exact same data of a mixed half-Armenian to DNA.land under two different accounts (i.e., created using different email addresses) can result in South/Central European estimates that are vastly different (like 7.6% vs. 19%). Similarly, for the same mixed person DNA.land may say they are 21% Mediterranean Islander (Sicilian, etc.) under one DNA submission, and 0% in another submission.

Your mention of Pakistani elements reminded me of a GEDmatch oracle (GedrosiaDNA Near East Neolithic K13) that uses several of the same populations named in your DNA.land report (Balochi, Brahui and Makrani) to balance out hypothetical Greek DNA in the case of one of these half-Armenians; i.e., they could be 66.4% Bulgarian and 33.6% Assyrian, or alternatively 89.1% Greek and 10.9% Brahui, and so on (other matches covered Balochi and Makrani DNA as well as Kurds, etc.).

So I would assume that the "average" of all the components DNA.land found for you matches your actual ancestry, but that some of these components are utterly spurious. And yes, sometimes people do find surprises--speaking of Bulgaria, one 23andMe forum participant ended up finding from her family that one great-grandparent was Bulgarian, not Armenian, which helped clarify her results.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dee Ena For This Useful Post:

ArmoSlavLady (09-27-2017),  ZephyrousMandaru (09-28-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    typical American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-M183
    mtDNA (M)
    A2f3

United States of America Cuba Catalonia California Republic Spain
    I have some odd results on DNA Land (1% Dravidian, 1.5% ambiguous South east Asian and and 2.3% ambiguous)

A little bit of a buzz kill, but at least the upload was free.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    O1b1
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b1f1

Madagascar Pakistan Spain Mauritius France China
    Greek and italian DNA is very similar.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

Do they NOT have a Russian reference population? I've taken a few tests and most have me some portion Russian/Siberian (I'm thinking lack of Sami population actually, but probably I am Yakut and Russian too... centuries or ages ago). DNA Land put me at 25% Finnish. At most, we had real Finnish ancestry maybe around 4% and the other tests seemed to figure 0-8% Finland and separate out Russia and the Baltics as well. If you are listed as Finnish and Lithuanian but not Russian, they maybe aren't even including Russia as a reference? Which would be ridiculous. So hopefully it's just an imperfect calculation. Of course the Baltics are somewhat close. Finland a little too. But my Finnish numbers were abnormally high on this test, whereas every other test has had more nuance for Asian populations, even if they can't seem to agree (Lithuanian, Estonian, Komi, Tuva, Russian).

They got my first population correct but then I think quite a bit off track. Thought I would chip that bit in. I see a Finland-Russia-Baltics reference pool issue most likely. You aren't NOT Russian because DNA Land missed it.

Sex
    Ethnicity
    English, German, Scottish
    Nationality
    American

England Scotland Germany Ireland Netherlands Switzerland
    I think they must have some kind of Russian population because I ended up with 18 percent North Slavic: Includes: Belarusian in Belarus; Estonian in Estonia; Lithuanian in Lithuania; Mordovian and Russian in Russia and Ukrainian in (East) Ukraine if that's of any help to you.

What is funny is that I didn't get anything of that nature from my AncestryDNA test. I was more Europe West, Scottis/Irish/Welse and British there. I tend to feel that the DNALand test may be more accurate for me but am eagerly awaiting the Ancestry update if indeed it ever comes.
    Last edited by BeluvdLily; 08-02-2018 at 02:33 AM.

Registered Users
    Sex

Russian Federation Star of David Belarus Lebanon Kazakhstan Ireland
    Russians score a heavy percentage in the North Slavic category on dna land and East Europe and Finland/NW Russia on ancestry dna

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    American

Personally, I feel that DNA.Land is very accurate. It closely matches my GEDmatch (Eurogenes K13 and others) and I think it's so different from Ancestry DNA results because it goes back much farther. I believe it goes back farther than a paper trail ever could.

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    American

Quote Originally Posted by czl View Post
    Russians score a heavy percentage in the North Slavic category on dna land and East Europe and Finland/NW Russia on ancestry dna
    That's very interesting. I had no idea I had anything of that nature in my DNA but I just believe that it must be fairly far back. I was hoping to have something exotic and to me (Good old whitebread American with English and Scottish roots), my Russian, Icelandic, Basque, Baltic, Sardinian and Mediterranean that show up on DNA.Land are exotic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast