Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Basque, Sardinian, SW Asian (Burusho etc.) - Welsh or Irish?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    U106 Z326 R-BY27310
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c1b2a

United Kingdom Wales

Basque, Sardinian, SW Asian (Burusho etc.) - Welsh or Irish?

There has been a bit of discussion about people with British ancestry and small percentages from unexpected parts of the World. I know from my own results that Basque, SW Asia etc. have featured on various tests and calculators. To me these relatively genetically isolated populations may suggest an early ancestral signature.
    This isn't very scientific but I was wondering whether there is any geographical pattern within the UK and Ireland. I was tempted to include Orkney, but that isn't quite so out-of place with British ancestry. It isn't going to prove anything for sure and if anyone can come up with a better method, great.
    Does Wales and possibly Ireland contain any current evidence of "older" DNA? I would be interested to know whether people with known Welsh (or Welsh borders) or known Irish ancestry tend to get these percentages more than other parts of the UK.
    So in "Complete" mode who gets unexpected percentages from outside the the UK and do you have known Welsh/Borders or Irish ancestry, yes or no? John
    My results.
    Yes significant Wales/Borders ancestry
    Europe (South) 2.6%
    Basque 1.5%
    Sardinia 1%
    Asia (Central) 1.4%
    Northwest Caucasus 1.4%
    Asia (South) 1.4%
    Burusho 1.4%

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnHowellsTyrfro For This Useful Post:

Angoliga (09-04-2017),  MacEochaidh (09-01-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    L21>FGC6545>Y160102
    mtDNA (M)
    H6a1b2h
    mtDNA (P)
    H27e

Ireland Ireland Connacht Ireland County Roscommon Ireland County Galway Ireland County Mayo
    It's an interesting idea and who knows maybe a pattern will develop. I get 1.8% Scandinavia and my ancestry is from Ireland, more specifically the Connacht region.
    Ancestry: Ireland (Paper trail ≅ 81.25% Roscommon, 12.5% Galway, 6.25% Mayo)
    Y-DNA (P) ancestor (Y): Kelly b. c1830 in Co. Roscommon (Uí Maine)
    mtDNA (P) ancestor: Fleming b. c1831 in Co. Roscommon
    mtDNA (M) ancestor: McDermott b. c1814 in Co. Roscommon
    mtDNA Great grandfather: Connella b. c1798 in Co. Roscommon (T2a1a8)
    Y-DNA 2x great grandfather: Higgins b. c1816 in Co. Roscommon (R-DF109)
    Y-DNA 3x great grandfather: Fleming b. c1829 in Co. Roscommon (R-Z23534)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FionnSneachta For This Useful Post:

JohnHowellsTyrfro (09-02-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    U106 Z326 R-BY27310
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c1b2a

United Kingdom Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by FionnSneachta View Post
    It's an interesting idea and who knows maybe a pattern will develop. I get 1.8% Scandinavia and my ancestry is from Ireland, more specifically the Connacht region.
    I notice you get some Finnish on Ancestry - I've had that too. It may show an early but different influence from Basque/Sardinia/SW Asian maybe? Of course these things could be nothing but if they come up on different tests..... John

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnHowellsTyrfro For This Useful Post:

FionnSneachta (09-02-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North & Ionian Seas
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1 (P109)

England Italy Germany Scotland
    i have significant English ancestry from Shropshire and Kent as well as Bremen Germany. I don't show Basque or Sardinian but I do show significant west Asian. of course I do have some Italian ancestry as well.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JerryS. For This Useful Post:

JMcB (09-02-2017),  JohnHowellsTyrfro (09-02-2017)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Australian & Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    M222 (S588)
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c3f

Ireland Australia Ireland County Tipperary Ireland Munster Ireland County Roscommon Ireland Connacht
    Both my brother and me are Irish. The only non British & Irish ancestry he gets is 9% Scandinavian and I get 1.4% Chechyna and 1.3% Pashtun and the rest all Britain and Ireland.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jessie For This Useful Post:

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    U106 Z326 R-BY27310
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c1b2a

United Kingdom Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessie View Post
    Both my brother and me are Irish. The only non British & Irish ancestry he gets is 9% Scandinavian and I get 1.4% Chechyna and 1.3% Pashtun and the rest all Britain and Ireland.
    I'm no expert but :-
    "According to some genetic research the Pashto-speaking Pashtuns relate mainly to other Iranian peoples as well as the Burusho of the Northern Areas of Pakistan, who speak a language isolate."

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...az8OLd7o2qY0Dw

and :-

"In conclusion, there was a genetic study done in different regions of Armenia, that detected that the characteristic genetic code prevalent in Welsh, Basques and Irish, called the Atlantic Modal Haplotype, is also present in Armenian population of Syunik and Artsax. These are two Armenian provinces predominantly isolated in the mountains, which precluded genetic admixture with neighboring ethnic groups and nationsť. The Armenian modal haplotype is also the modal R1b3 haplotype."

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...yPNLDaeM7tvc9Q

and :-

"They clustered closer to European populations than Middle Eastern populations this time, but were closer to Western European populations (Basques and Britons) than to Eastern European populations (Russians and other Slavs, as well as Estonians), despite living in the East. They actually clustered about as close to Basques as they did to Ingush"

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...yX8O5Hj0GEPBcQ

I don't know if the above claims are valid and I'm not suggesting these peoples are related, just that possibly there may be a common factor in the respective populations maybe? Happy to be corrected on any of this. John

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnHowellsTyrfro For This Useful Post:

Amerijoe (09-04-2017),  JMcB (09-02-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    English
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c2

England Ireland
    My family get small %'s of Iberian, Italy/Greece, Caucasus, Middle Eastern, South Asian, Finnish, Native American, East Asian and Jewish dna, but that's with Ancestry and all less than 5%. Mum's family are English: South London/Kent/Sussex/Somerset/Lincolnshire/rural Essex. Dad's: East London/Hertfordshire/Staffordshire/Cork.
    Known ancestry: English (mostly S/SE England) + Irish (Cork)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to L1983 For This Useful Post:

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b>U152>Z56>Z145
    mtDNA (M)
    W5a2

Netherlands
    Some (but not the Basque) could be related to the Bell Beakers settling hugely in the Atlantic fringe, without encountering many people to mix with, keeping a lot of steppe DNA, I think.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pylsteen For This Useful Post:

Amerijoe (09-04-2017),  JohnHowellsTyrfro (09-02-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    L21>FGC6545>Y160102
    mtDNA (M)
    H6a1b2h
    mtDNA (P)
    H27e

Ireland Ireland Connacht Ireland County Roscommon Ireland County Galway Ireland County Mayo
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnHowellsTyrfro View Post
    I notice you get some Finnish on Ancestry - I've had that too. It may show an early but different influence from Basque/Sardinia/SW Asian maybe? Of course these things could be nothing but if they come up on different tests..... John
    I agree with you. I'm inclined to believe that the Finnish and Scandinavian ancestry could be real rather than noise when two different tests have found a small percentage of ancestry in the same region. It could from an early influence from Viking times. It could also be from my 3x great grandmother on my mum's side who was Knott and when I look up the surname, the surname was first found in Derbyshire where traditionally the name was descended from the Scandinavian King Canute. I also have the surname Broderick on my mum's side which is supposed to be derived from a Norse personal name. The only ancestry outside of Ireland that my paternal aunt got was 1% Great Britain. Either way I'd say that it's from a long time ago if it is real.
    Ancestry: Ireland (Paper trail ≅ 81.25% Roscommon, 12.5% Galway, 6.25% Mayo)
    Y-DNA (P) ancestor (Y): Kelly b. c1830 in Co. Roscommon (Uí Maine)
    mtDNA (P) ancestor: Fleming b. c1831 in Co. Roscommon
    mtDNA (M) ancestor: McDermott b. c1814 in Co. Roscommon
    mtDNA Great grandfather: Connella b. c1798 in Co. Roscommon (T2a1a8)
    Y-DNA 2x great grandfather: Higgins b. c1816 in Co. Roscommon (R-DF109)
    Y-DNA 3x great grandfather: Fleming b. c1829 in Co. Roscommon (R-Z23534)

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FionnSneachta For This Useful Post:

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Nationality
    Welsh
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L21 DF13 (father)
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c9

Wales England
    I have Chuvashia in Central Asia at 1.1%. I'm 67%+ North Wales and South Wales and all the rest is attributed to England and Scotland.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phoebe Watts For This Useful Post:

Amerijoe (09-04-2017),  JMcB (09-02-2017),  JohnHowellsTyrfro (09-02-2017)

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast