Thread: Humans still evolving, large-scale study of genetic data shows

Registered Users
    Sex

Humans still evolving, large-scale study of genetic data shows

Humans still evolving, large-scale study of genetic data shows

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0905145553.htm

"In a study analyzing the genomes of 210,000 people in the United States and Britain, researchers have found that the genetic variants linked to Alzheimer's disease and heavy smoking are less frequent in people with longer lifespans, suggesting that natural selection is weeding out these unfavorable variants in both populations."

"The researchers were surprised to find just two common mutations across the entire human genome that heavily influence survival. The high power of their analysis should have detected other variants had they existed, they said. This suggests that selection has purged similar variants from the population, even those that act later in life like the ApoE4 and CHRNA3 genes."

"It may be that men who don't carry these harmful mutations can have more children, or that men and women who live longer can help with their grandchildren, improving their chance of survival," said study coauthor Molly Przeworski, an evolutionary biologist at Columbia."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to paoloferrari For This Useful Post:

Amerijoe (09-06-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex

Netherlands
    I think this is the last century of humans evolving, since we will be able to master our genetics. I am curious to see that; the technological changes are so fast, that it will probably blow our mind. First goal is reaching 100 years.. 75 years to go xD Now I think about it, we will gain so much knowledge of genetics.